The Difference Between Bone Broth and Meat Broth

One of the cellulite treatments I’ve been focusing on even during my semi-furlough from the investigation is bone broth.  (Don’t worry, I’ll be back full time after the wedding at the latest!)

I’ve been consuming bone broth off and on for a few years now, but since I returned to Florida I’m able to order it from a great local farm.  This bone broth is a thick gel, unlike the stuff I made myself, and I never experience the strong detox reactions I did previously.

One of our fellow cellulite investigators might have figured out why.

My Reactions to Bone Broth

I was never very good at getting my bone broth to thicken.  I’m sure I wasn’t adding the right bones or cooking it right.  When I drank too much of it, I could feel a distinct aching in my bones and joints (especially my hands and feet), accompanied by fatigue and bloating.  It really felt like the broth was displacing fluoride from my bones as I theorized it would.

The bone broth I buy from the farm is thick as jello.  I never feel achy or lethargic after drinking it.  I haven’t pushed it by drinking it every day without breaks in between. I do sometimes develop small breakouts on my neck afterwards, but I think that is a result of the iodine from the sea vegetables I put in it.

Benefits of Meat Broth Versus Bone Broth

After reading about my experience with bone broth and flouroderma,  a fellow cellulite investigator sent a link to Patty’s blog about the GAPS diet, Loving Our Guts.  In the article, Patty explains the difference between meat broth and bone broth.

Bone broth is where you simmer the bones for a long time to make a mineral-rich broth.  Meat broth is cooked for shorter periods of time using both bones and meat.  I was using the recipe for bone broth in Sally Fallon’s Nourishing Traditions cookbook.  I bet the stock from the farm is meat broth.

Meat broth contains more gelatin which is healing to the gut (and, as the theory goes, cellulite?).  As Patty explains,

Bone broth has a lot of minerals and is a good replacement for milk in the diet for someone concerned about lack of calcium on a dairy free diet.  The longer cooking times can break down some of the gelatin and so this broth can be less healing to the gut than the meat broth but the increased minerals from the longer cooking times are also very valuable… Many also find that bone broth brings on more die off than meat broth and so must be increased gradually as it is tolerated.

A big thank you to Guggie for sharing this valuable piece of the puzzle!

Les Demoiselles d'Avignon by Pablo PicassoJoin the Cause

Start healing your cellulite right now by visiting our Cellulite Treatments page.  Please come back and let us know how it’s going along the way!

Or to make the most of your time and effort, why not first take a few minutes to get smart on cellulite theory by reading Cellulite 101?

*Signup to receive email when we announce a breakthrough in the case.

Comments

singanddancethrulife says:
2/12/2013

Hi, in the last sentence i’m not sure what “die off” means/is…anybody? thx! I do like all this info 🙂

Dr. Marge says:
2/12/2013

I’ve had the same issue as well. I remember as a child my Russian grandmother would make calves foot soup which at the time, I thought was totally gross but now older wiser and wrinkled would reconsider.
Many ethnic recipes use feet or animals, calves, cows, chickens, etc.

This may be the missing ingredient.

I will try this in my next batch.

Erin says:
2/12/2013

I buy packages of frozen chicken and duck feet and add a few when making broth in my crock pot. They really gel things up!
Even when I don’t add them, whether meat broth (usually with a whole black chicken) or just the chicken bones, I’ve never not gotten at least some gel. A lot of my broths are practically aspic/jello when chilled.
Adding a couple of TB of cider vinegar to the water and letting it sit a few hours before cooking (you don’t have to let it sit if using a crock pot) has always ensured a good gel for me. I also wait to add the veggies in the final hour- maybe this also makes a difference?

Dr Marge says:
2/12/2013

BTW “die off”, “healing crisis” or Herxing, refers to an unpleasant reaction when many microbes, yeast, parasites, bacteria, etc. are killed at one time and release large quantities of toxins into the body. It can also occur with rapid detox.

It is unpleasant but a positive sign. Think get worse before getting better.

Donna says:
2/13/2013

Melissa, just doing an online search I have not been able to find any ‘meat broth’ for purchase. (I’m going to call local farms tomorrow, but looking at their websites, it doesn’t look too promising.) This is the closest I could find to what I think you’re talking about. Would you recommend trying this? http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=963
Thank you!
Donna

Donna says:
2/16/2013

Sorry. Me again. I think what I found above was more of you were comparing to that didn’t work. Does the farm you’re buying your meat broth from ship by any chance? If they don’t, tell them you’ve got a huge network here that would buy from them! 🙂

Thinx2Much says:
3/1/2013

I hope this is ok for this blog but I found a way to use the Nutrition Data website to sort foods by fluoride content. No wonder potatoes and onions make me break out so bad. Strangely, the poultry is not high on there, but they aren’t listing bone broth cooked for long periods of time probably either. Enjoy:

Penny Trosclair says:
3/16/2013

I’ve been making a mixture of meat and bone broth for years now! I use the carcase, but I also add in livers, etc. to get the good nutrients from those. I enjoy making rice and soups with bone broth. It really adds a great depth to the flavor!

Helen says:
4/17/2013

I have been researching broth lately. My grandmother fed her family “skinny soup” (basically a broth) for supper every single day. This was meat and bones simmered for 3-4 hours only. In my greatgrandmother’s ancient copy of the Housewife’s Guide to Foods and Cookery, which dates back almost 80 years, every stock recipe calls for the bones to be simmered for only 3-4 hours. Similarly, asian recipes for bone broth, for example the famous Vietnamese soup Pho, which is eaten daily for breakfast and/or lunch in that part of the world, is a beef bone broth simmered for 3- 4 hours. Sally Fallon’s recipe is the only reference I can find which calls for broth to be simmered for days until the bones disintegrate. That’s going to completely change the nutritional profile of the broth, because many vitamins, amino acids, enzymes and even gelatin, cannot withstand long cooking. Is it really a good idea to cook broth that long?

Terezia says:
8/18/2013

Hey Helen (and all the dedicated Investigators), I’m Hungarian, and my grandparents used to cook the broth with marrow bone, leg bones and meat. Cooking a broth for days is totally unheard of, because, as you pointed it out, it will eventually destroy every goodness supposed to be in the broth. Trust the traditional recipes, they are the best!

Ren Wood says:
6/15/2013

trying to pin this great info and pinterest won’t let me as they say this site is banned due to spamming…just thought you should know so you can notify them!

Thank you, Ren! I did let them know. Hopefully they can unblock me. My email was hijacked by spammmers so I’m wondering if that was the cause.

Amanda says:
9/1/2013

Hi Melissa,

Is the blog still active or am I just not seeing the new posts? Thank you!

Thinx2DamnMuch says:
9/2/2013

Ditto. Nothing for a while.

Helen Jurken says:
9/21/2013

That’s great.No wonder potatoes and onions make me break out so bad.

Rose says:
3/19/2014

I have now had two Venus Freeze treatments, thighs and face. I have not noticed any change with my thighs after the two treatments, but have been told I will see a noticeable difference after eight treatments. I have noticed a slight difference in my face after two treatments, the skin does appear to be firmer. Drawbacks, the cost, where I go it is $2600.00 for the thighs, 8 sessions, and $1500.00 for the face, 6 sessions. I was also led to believe that the company does not allow the Venus Freeze Reps to discount their service, so was surprised to see discount, promotion coupons in your area. I am from Alberta.

Rose says:
3/19/2014

Oops I think the post I just posted ended up in the wrong spot.

carol says:
2/18/2015

Where do you buy the bone broth in Florida? I live in St Lucie County.

I buy it from this farm. They have a wonderful selection of nutrient-dense foods! http://www.localharvest.org/seabreeze-organic-farm-M38613

singanfdancethrulife says:
2/23/2015

Melissa!!! Are you back on the site? I’ve missed you! ❤ How are you doing!!?

I’ve missed you too! I’m doing great!! I wouldn’t say I’m back on the site, but definitely still hard at work on the investigation. I can’t even summarize all the intel I’ve uncovered on cellulite since I’ve been away. The time off from the site really gave me a chance to focus. (I need to figure out a way to manage the site without it overwhelming all my time and attention.) I’ve kept the website up and running so people can read through all we’ve uncovered so far but I’m working on another cellulite-related project that I hope you’ll LOVE. My intention is that this will be the beginning of the end for cellulite. Its days are numbered. 🙂

singanddancethrulife says:
2/24/2015

I can’t wait to hear about it! have you heard of whole body vibration? Along with many other ways it is supposed to help the body it’s supposed to help with cellulite too. …I have been doing it now for about 3 weeks…mainly for my shoulder since I have chronic pain there and it really helps with that…I’ll keep you posted if I see any difference with my legs 😉 Don’t stay away so long! I love reading your posts 🙂 <3 xo

bo jangles says:
5/1/2015

A few ideas to try. If cellulite is caused by low amounts or low quality collagen then what improves collagen? In my research vitamin c(high dose over one gram divided twice daily) and silicon(bamboo extract probably being the best source) And possibly boron. If blood flow affects it lysine and proline will improve blood flow.

mhikl says:
6/7/2015

This is my and my Corgi’s experiences using both bone and ligament/tendon (L/T) broth, bovine. After about a year or so, I gave up on bones and just used the L/Ts which I was rendering in my crockpot.
I was making broth, getting quality bones & L/Ts from a Chinese butcher, for three or four years. I was making enough to collect a thick gelatine to last a month to six weeks. Honestly, I did not see much if any improvement in either my or my dog’s pain, limp or disabilities.
Last summer, 2014, I gave up on the cooking as it was a hot summer. I chopped up my last kg of ligaments and ruined a blender getting them fine enough so they were actually being completely digested.
Within three days Sadie was scurrying up and down the stairs before I could pick her up, and I no longer had to carry her home if we walked too far.
Then I took the plunge and began to eat the raw T/Ls myself. The are tasteless and have about the taste and texture of elastic bands. For safety, I also soak them in either a few cups water and a tsp hydrogen peroxide or with some MMS after pounding the to a glutinous mess. Again, I spend a lot of time chopping, pounding and grinding them.
I no longer have pain in my hip joint though I still limp from years of damage.
How this relates to cellulite I have no idea. I just thought that if the bone broth is helpful to your plight, maybe the raw T/Ls might work even better.
Also of interest, after doing this for about seven months, I stopped. My Corgi seems to be still pain free and handles the stairs well and my pain continues to be much improved. I am in the process of a coming move, but once reistablished shall begin the raw L/Ts again.
Again, I do not know if this will help with cellulite; even though I am chubby and lazy, I don’t seem to have such. But maybe it might be worth a try. Really, the TLs have no yucky taste and are just swallowed if pounded up fine enough.
I wonder if a caring mate (or brother 🙂 would be willing to grind them fine enough for your needs. A tray of oven baked cookies is a powerful persuader. Then one would only have to pre-soak them in peroxide and then rinse them in bicarbonate water and then in fresh water. They also freeze well and only very little is needed at a time.
Another quick point: a detox using iodine, borax/boron and zeolite might also be of some help. I only swath my skin with home made Lugal’s Iodine–does not seem to bother the system and does not have the alcohol in it. Once dry, it does not seem to stain.
Namaste and care,