Want to Get Rid of Cellulite? Have a Boy!

23 Aug

This post is a follow-up from Monday. (I actually forgot I brought this up already (!) but I found more info about it that’s worth further investigation…)

The hormonal aspect of cellulite is still a mystery to me. We recently received some fascinating intel that provides a solid clue to the cellulite/hormone connection.

Jessie writes:

I have suffered from cellulite since I was a teenager.  I am now in my forties.  It is very visible on the front, sides and backs of my legs… there was one point in my life when I was completely and utterly cellulite free… I was pregnant with a boy, and during the pregnancy and for up to one year afterwards, I was cellulite free.

Cellulite-Free After Pregnancy with a Boy:  Coincidence?

I’ve heard of women losing their cellulite while nursing, so I thought maybe it was coincidence that she was pregnant with a boy.  So I asked Jessie if she had any other pregnancies and if she noticed a difference with her cellulite then.

Turns out she was pregnant three times, with big gaps in between.  First with a girl, then a boy, then a girl again.  The only one that affected her cellulite was her pregnancy with the boy.  Fascinating, right?!

How Having a Boy Affects Testosterone Levels During Pregnancy

I did some sleuthing online and most sources seemed to confirm that the sex of the child didn’t have a significant impact on the mother’s hormones.

But then I found this study published in 1978 in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology.  Researchers measured the testosterone levels of 180 women during weeks 7 to 20 of pregnancy.  Testosterone concentrations in women with male fetuses showed an increase beginning in week 7, reaching a maximum during weeks 9 to 11, followed by a decrease until weeks 15 to 20.

Could it be the boost in testosterone is what helped Jessie get rid of her cellulite?  Please share your thoughts on the cellulite/hormone connection.  We need a breakthrough here!

Comments

Jessica says:
8/23/2012

I would have to disagree, in my experience anyway. I just had my third boy and during this pregnancy is when my cellulite exploded on my whole legs, down to ankles, and even upper arms!! Aagh!!

Daisy says:
8/23/2012

Sorry… this didn’t turn out to be true for me, either. All I’ve HAD is boys, and I cannot say that any of the pregnancies did anything to improve my cellulite.

Darn, there goes THAT theory! ;)

This is great info, ladies. Thanks to everyone for sharing. It’s interesting to see how everyone’s experience with pregnancy and cellulite differs. I wonder if breast feeding is another important factor in the equation?? I heard from another woman whose cellulite completely disappeared during two years of breast feeding.

Danae says:
8/23/2012

…let’s see a pattern.. Women’s hormones are very powerful and are playing a major role in fat metabolism (e.g. Bronwyn Hewitt states in her book that Oestrogen is responsible that fats are store in our tishue to protect the fetus when it grows in a woman’s body | eg. men store fat directly in their arteries as they do not have that amount of oestrogen in their bodies). Let’s consider that we played with birth control pills and since then we have a phenomenon of a generation being not just overweight but obese and this is not always explicable throught diet alone. Let’s consider that in the same time the toxicity of the environment quadrupled at least! – Hormones – birth control which we all take through water!!! And toxicity through preservatives, chemicals, air pollutants etc. – From personal experience I know that since changing to a cleansing diet lifestyle… a lot of ‘minor’ issues have ceased or entirely dissappeared. Whilst you could say that my diet is the decisive factor it essentially is balancing my moon cycle so it is changing my hormonal set up… So whilst we may have to see what background a woman comes from e.g. did Jessie take birthcontrol pills before her pregnancy, did she make dietary changes as well, was she sporty… — I definitely see a pattern which centers around hormons.
So whilst Jessica had her 3rd boy it would be important to know the above factors to investigate what might be the balancing factor for her. Perhaps it was another type of the cycle/hormone which is the key for Jessica? ..and each of us – does the diet need change and in turn might bring harmony to our moon cycles/natural hormone balance?

Jessica says:
8/24/2012

Well I’ve never taken birth control and neither has my mom or any generation before her. I do have a lot of food allergies however, which worsened during this pregnancy. I eat whole foods overall but ate a lot of my allergy foods this pregnancy. i also eat too much sugar. I’ve avoided all my allergens for 4 months now and I’m trying to cut back sugar and add coconut oil.

Interesting, Jessica! We’ve long suspected food allergies play a role in the formation of cellulite. What type of food allergies are you dealing with? Thanks for sharing!

Taylor says:
8/23/2012

I absolutely believe that hormones have something to do with cellulite! I’ve had two girls (one 5 months ago) and after each birth within two weeks I lost all the baby weight but 5 lbs or so and had zero cellulite! It was amazing, but then two months later the cellulite was back along with a few more pounds. I am currently breast feeding and have suffered with some postpartum depression after each pregnancy. I really believe all of this is related somehow to hormones (maybe progesterone?) and water retention.
Does anyone have a similar experience?

carla says:
8/23/2012

fascinating info! thank you ladies!

Danielle says:
8/23/2012

Correct way to dry brush

Thanks, Danielle. We get a lot of links to that video! It’s a good one!

Sarah Antos says:
8/29/2012

Nu Skin Enterprises has a very effective product for treating cellulite and toning loose skin. It uses pulsating galvanic current and designed specifically for the body. The product was released in January 2012 with great reviews and results. It comes with a 90 day guarantee. For more information go to this product page.

carla says:
8/30/2012

I tried the nu skin cellulite treatment…didn’t work for me.

Danae says:
9/4/2012

Just to let you know I absolutely enjoyed the Dry Brush video posted by Danielle – so informative and it hightened my awareness for the process and it works! It seems to have slightly improved my results. And why not have her interviewed to give us her intelligence in terms of cellulite…? I found another interesting video… with some idea’s we already know but I like her style and would very much to see an ‘interview with her by Melissa’ as she is using all ‘alternative & natural’ techniques… here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swHrBp5RWBM&feature=colike

That’s great to hear, Danae! I’m glad you liked the video. The body wrap video is intriguing. It does look like something you could easily do at home, though, don’t you think? The cream they used contains b vitamins and herbs. I bet there is a more powerful version you could make yourself from fresh ingredients. Any ideas??

Danae says:
9/4/2012

PS: …in general I am interested in the first lady’s idea of these herbs: ‘niacinamide and detoxifying herbs to increase blood circulation, lymphatic flow, and promote healthy water metabolism….’ and how this without sweating would work – as well it would be interesting to interview her with regards to accupuncture for cellulite and what her idea of ideal nutrition is? She does fire cupping as well and looks authentic and dedicated – What herbs does she recommend – can we create a receipe with at home with some interesting herbs etc? Thanks so much!

Those are great questions, Danae! I like that she emphasizes that the wrap isn’t about dehydrating the skin. Yes, a version of the cream to make at home would be ideal. The wrap looks like it would be relatively easy to do at home. I’ve been holding off on the interviews until I get this new website up and running. It’s taking a lot longer than I thought! It will be fun to start them up again. I made a note of your idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

oh… when you say “the first lady” are you referring to the woman in the body wrap video? Is that the one you think would be good to interview?

Danae says:
9/5/2012

Hi Melissa, Good to see you are back! Well, the ‘first lady’ which I referred to above is the one who explains the treatment (she seems to be the Asian herb & Accupuncture specialist). I had the same idea as you – something to make at home fresh (I am fascinated at the moment with raw & fresh as I remembered that a local fruit&vegetable seller used to tell me that she uses old avocado’s for her skin care only and her skin glowed at 55 – at the time I did not think about it but now since I banished all chemical skin products I remembered this incident and at some point will play more in that direction – so to make a fresh cream/fruits/honey/oils/aromas etc. is very appealing…especially since everything I used to believe from the media is more or less untrue! And the skin works perfectly if you leave the chemicals behind topical and in the nurishing tradition!) and they seem to explain the basics we found here in this investigation as well… so I thought that is a good match, blood circulation, lymph flow etc. — and as she boldy states that cellulite is vanishing with their type of treatment – why not query it? With regards to the interviews – thanks for taking this into consideration! – But there is no rush — so all in good time ~ there is no rush! Thanks so much!