Changes in Diet to Get Rid of Cellulite: A Cellulite Success Story

30 Jul

One of my favorite parts of cellulite investigating is receiving cellulite success stories.  This one is from Kara Wills who got rid of her cellulite through dietary changes alone.  It’s a good one!

I too have had terrible cellulite for a long time. I am an ex-athlete and have retained a smallish frame, but the cellulite over the last few years has been getting worse and to the point I won’t wear shorts or bathers, despite having a very beachy family and living on the coast. I decided to stop angsting for hours a day over it, and spending astronomical amounts of money on “cures” and simply changed my diet to be a clean eating diet.

I still have everything I need, its just fresh – I have learnt to make the yummiest salads, delicious ways to cook meat, if I feel like something sweet for desert I have natural (no sugar) yogurt with stevia, cinnamon and walnuts, and its the BEST.  When I feel like a soda, I just have sparkling mineral water, and it curbs that craving… I have the WORST willpower ever, but have managed to eliminate bread and sugar from my diet and feel absolutely incredible. Bye bye another dress size and most of all, bye bye cellulite – I have also brought my biological age from 41 down to 28 (I am actually 40 and did a bio age test before starting the clean eating to see what kind of improvements it would make). Given I have been injured and unable to do any exercise over this time, cellulite elimination has come PURELY from the inside. I never, ever thought I would see results like this.

We know the causes and cures for cellulite vary from woman to woman.  The key for each woman is selecting a cellulite treatment that directly addresses the cause of her particular case of the blight.  Kara made so many positive changes in her diet, it’s hard to tell which one did the trick here.  Here are my top two theories.

It sounds like Kara went on a gluten-free diet.  We’ve long suspected gluten as a hidden cause of cellulite (see, Is Gluten Intolerance Related to Cellulite?).  A lot of women are sensitive to gluten and don’t even know it.  Perhaps gluten was Kara’s kryptonite?

Another possibility is that her kryptonite was sugar.  In our sugar addict culture, it’s not uncommon for people to have a type of systemic yeast overgrowth called candida.  It is fed by the constant consumption of sugar.  This wouldn’t be the first cellulite success story we’ve received from a woman who switched to an anti-candida diet (see Cellulite Stories, Declassified, Codename: Vegan Sunset).

Do you have any theories on why Kara’a diet was so successful at helping her get rid of cellulite?  Please share your thoughts in the comments below.

Comments

Natalie says:
7/30/2012

I’m wondering if Kara went on a Paleo type of diet – no grains of any kind. The more I think about it, the more I’m thinking about eliminating them altogether!

Jessica says:
7/30/2012

wow. inspiring! im trying this too.

Stephanie says:
7/30/2012

This is really interesting and encouraging because I’ve just started a grain-free diet as well. I decided to start after reading this book called “Wheat Belly” by William Davis. I had read it a few months ago but it seemed so difficult to get rid of wheat (even the most healthy-seeming whole grain and nutty breads, what I was eating before), because it’s in everything. The author however presents what I find to be really convincing arguments (just cutting the gluten is not enough, the culprit is in the wheat itself and the gluten-free foods are just as bad). What finally pushed me too it was actually your 30-day challenge Melissa! I got really serious about the dry brushing: 15 full minutes every 2 days. I can already see an improvement!

Sanssouci says:
7/30/2012

I agree about “wheat belly.” Just listened to the CD on tape..I had a feeling that something was up with the wheat, way too many people have celiac now, including my daughter. This CD confirmed my suspicions.

I switched to mostly all raw foods, about 95% this summer. I had very bad cellulite, the kind that feels like rolls of golf balls.
One day the huge, hard lumps were there–they were in rows, almost like a basket or something!!
And then two days later, completely gone. I was rolling on a roller, and noticed they were completely gone when I was putting lotion on. I do not know what exactly caused them to go away so quickly either, you would think that they would just get smaller and smaller, and disappear, but that did not happen, they were there, then they were not! I am thinking the diet allowed the roller to smash those lumps or something. I also did a 14 day fast, maybe that helped? I have done longer fasts than that, and the cellulite was still there, but I was not rolling or taking extra oil etc.

I also started eating way more oils that are good for you, I think that somehow the combination of all that allowed it to be broken up–I figured it was some kind of hardened fat, and good fats needed to go in there to break it up.

I still have cellulite, but not anywhere near what it was before..Now its just ordinary gross cellulite, but no huge lumps you can feel under the surface. I am thinking if I keep doing this, it will eventually all be gone.

Not only that, but my face is also looking more chiseled and alive, and my joints are completely pain-free now. I know its from the wheat. I found some whole grain, organic spaghetti in the drawer and ate it. The next day my fingers were all swollen and stiff..and my back hurt a little bit.
After a few days it went away.
Curious, I tried this experiment three times, and all three times.

I am wondering if cellulite is a kind of inflammation, or what. I really think that the wheat might have something to do with it though..I am taking Astaxanthin to help with the joints, it did help quite a bit when I was eating wheat, thinking it was ok since it was whole grain, organic and all that.
But when I eliminated it entirely, I became pain free. And possibly, it also got rid of the lumps–it made me think perhaps these lumps are a sort of inflammation of the lymph nodes?
I have been trying to figure out what happened here. I did not eat sugar before.
So that was not it.

Stephanie says:
7/30/2012

I’m really excited you got results while on a wheat-free diet. I thought Dr. Davis’s book was amazing. Even if you have no serious health issues like the people in the book, it’s in your best interest to cut the wheat from your diet.
I’m healthy in the sense that I have no diseases, healthy weight, all that. But, I have cellulite and I’m only 22. I’ve had it since I was about 13! I’m convinced that this is my body trying to tell me something… There would be no cellulite if everything was really ok. This is why I think that trying to heal your cellulite from within (not just applying topical creams) is vitally important.

belkis says:
7/30/2012

Great to read all the comments. Always so much support on this website. I love it!!
Does anyone have more info on the bio age test?
sounds like an investment I should be making.

Ellen says:
7/30/2012

I’ve been gluten free for 2.5 years, sugar free for a year and a half, and dairy free for 8 months. Still have cellulite. :(

Diane says:
8/7/2012

Ellen–how crazy!! You deserve more reward than that. I’m sending sympathy, at least. This is such a mysterious ailment. I haven’t even started my own cellulite battle…not sure if I really care that much. =) I’m mostly here for the acne/fluoride stuff. =P

Kara Wills says:
7/31/2012

Just as an update….I’m not completely wheat free….I have rolled oats (porridge)every day (does that count as wheat/gluten?). I can totally relate to the person who said they have increased fats in their diet, as I too have done that. The main guidelines I use is to eat fresh food and meat, nothing processed, other than stevia as a sweetner, which is plant based. I have eliminated processed foods and the only label check I do on anything I do get (ie yoghurt) is on the sugar. I have also stopped drinking wine…which if you knew me would know just how hard that was! If I get the urge though, I just pop about 1/8 to a 1/4 in a glass and top it up with soda water, so I get the taste but its watered down and less hard on the body. I’m a massive believer of toxins and poor circulation causing cellulite and joint pain. Without the fresh food, and only eating processed, prepared meals and snacks, you are continuing to load up your body with toxins and acid. SO in summary,my biggest changes have been:
1) Increase my water intake MASSIVELY (I barely drank any pure water). Now its 2-3 litres per day
2) Porridge for brekky with a scoop of protein, walnuts and cinnamon YUM! THe protein keeps you full for ages and prevents snacking
3) Lunch is a salad with egg, avo, spinach – anything fresh; or rice wraps with salad and chicken in it
4) Dinner is usually veges, or salad with grilled marinated fish/chicken/homemade turkey burgers. Salad dressings are usually homemade with olive oil, apple vinegar and dill/corriander/ garlic. ANd I do drown my salad in it! One of my childrens fav sides is greenbeans (charred in a pan) tossed with olive oil, garlic and pine nuts.

SO lots of yummy options. Snacks are usually protein related (boiled egg or rivita crackers with hummus or avocado. The secret is making really different type salads, and not the same taste every night. I also don’t have carbs at night (no rice or pasta). Overall though, the secret is “is it natural/clean/good for me”.

Additionally, I take magnesium and swapped coffee (I still have one cup a day though – but with very very little milk) for ginger and lemon myrtle tea to aid digestion.

I saw results within just a few days. My tummy wasn’t bloated, and I lost that “hip overflow” look and feel! For results on my cellulite it took all of 2 weeks….I’ve angsted for years over that….and it took just 2 weeks of clean eating to sort it out. Im kicking myself!!!!!!!! I popped on my old jeans the other day that I haven’t fitted for 4 years. And for the PMS’y girls out there like me….nada. I had none of the normal bloat, pocky jaw zits, grumpiness….it just came and went with ease, which further proved to me how bad sugar is, particular on hormones!!!

Deann says:
7/31/2012

Your story gives me such hope & inspiration….thank you so much for sharing your story! I have a couple questions to help me pin down details for my own journey:

1) do you eat any cheese’s?
2) any red meat?
3) what oils/fats have you added & increased in your eating habits?
4) are you taking any vitamins or supplements?
5) are you using an essential oils?
6) aaww eliminating wine, I’ve considered eliminating that too, as it does convert to sugar (it’s just so hard when you have an awesome grilled filet in front of you or a tasty cheese tray :-) Do you indulge in any alcohol besides the watered down wine?

I appreciate any information you can share! As a thin 40 something female I am so tired of summers feeling self conscious of my legs, they truly are my worst feature. So hopeful from your story that I can get back to playing in the water & sun will less body image issues.

Diane says:
8/7/2012

Kara, you said, “I have rolled oats (porridge)every day (does that count as wheat/gluten?” It depends on the oats. Oats themselves have no gluten, but from what I’ve learned online, it seems that it’s difficult to guarantee they won’t be contaminated with wheat or other grains, either in the field or in processing. So there are gluten-free oats, labeled as such, and those companies go to great lengths to avoid contamination and test for gluten content in their finished product.

However, I think unless you have actual celiac disease, the small amount of gluten that might be in your oats shouldn’t cause a problem.