Infrared Sauna Detox for Cellulite

30 Apr

I am officially in love with my new sauna!

All week, I was excited about bringing home my latest anti cellulite gizmo. This is the biggest and most expensive treatment I’ve tried yet, but lucky for me I got a great deal on it from a friend who is moving and decided not to take it with her.

Interesting Observation From My First Infrared Sauna

I couldn’t wait to take this baby for a spin.  My first sauna session was on Saturday. I stayed in the sauna for about 25 minutes.  I put on some island music, grabbed a bridal magazine, and sipped lemon water. Life is good.

I don’t know much about saunas yet, so I set the temp at 104 which is the factory default. This temperature wasn’t nearly hot enough for me so I ended up increasing it to 110.  I worked up a good sweat on my upper body, including my arms, but my legs barely broke a glisten.

Saunas #2 and #3

I’ve taken two sauna since then, and my legs did not sweat much in either.  In my second sauna, my feet started to sweat towards the end (gross, I know!)  but my legs still only showed a slight glisten.

In the third sauna, I turned the temperature up to 125 and  dry brushed immediately beforehand to increase my lymphatic circulation.  My lower legs sweated more, but not my upper legs.  Interesting, right?

I am eagerly looking forward to receiving my sauna book in the mail.  In the meantime, does anyone have any sauna wisdom to share with a newbie like myself?  Is it normal for the legs not to sweat in the beginning?  What should I expect as I continue with the sessions?

Comments

swiftfox82 says:
4/30/2012

yeah it does seem like circulation is a lot worse where cellulite is the worst. I am interested to see the results.

Me, too! Have you noticed the same effect with saunas, or are you referring to other experience, such as dry brushing? I definitely notice it then, too.

Teresea Carson, LMP says:
4/30/2012

Now you can try Hot Yoga at home. Lucky you!

It’s not quite big enough for yoga, although I do like to do yoga while it’s heating up. I still use my little space heater and I love it. It’s not quite “bikram” hot, but it’s comfortable for me. Lately I’ve been using the Yoga for Every Body dvd because it’s hard to find the time to do the full Bikram workout. It’s a really good one!

christine says:
4/30/2012

I love my infared sauna too, I use it several times a week but hate to say it has done absolutely NOTHING to improve cellulite and I’ve had mine for years. It does help when your sick or sore from exercise though.

Oh no! Don’t tell me that, Christine! Just kidding–it’s good to know. I’m hoping that it might be just the thing to help me get through my fluoride detox. It’s been kicking my butt! What prompted you to purchase an IR sauna? Are you trying to detox anything specific?

christine says:
4/30/2012

Hi Melissa, I got my infrared sauna for general detox and was hoping for the best with the cellulite. Although it hasn’t helped with that, I still love it. I’ve tried every single cellulite treatment out there, massage, creams and potions , velashape, LED, actively doing the power plate and re-bounder. I take detox supplements, glucosamin, zeolite, dry brush…. (helps a little). I’ve done Flouride detox w/borax and silicon. you name it I’ve tried it. I dance 3 to 4 days a week, do yoga and lift weights and eat well. Just ordered the cups and will try that, also started oil pulling. The one thing that has helped me the most is rubbing castor oil on my tummy, wrapping w/saran wrap and a neoprine belt and leaving it on all day or sit in the sauna, but it is all temporary. I really feel that hormones are to blame as well as lymph. Keep up the good work. Lets hope someday we can crack the code.
I’ve also read gray hair is a hormone imbalance as well…love your ideas for that.

You are a seasoned investigator, Christine! I’m glad you’re on the case with us. :)

Do you have any idea what your kryptonite is–whatever caused your cellulite in the first place? I’m sure there are multiple causes for everyone but I also suspect we all have one or two major culprits. If we can figure those out, it should provide valuable info about what particular treatments would be most effective on an individual level. Any ideas?

christine says:
5/1/2012

I suspect hypothyroid as it creates a cascade of hormonal issues that cause your skin to sag and break down. Incidentally there is a connection between fluoride and hypothyroid. I think food allergies may also be a culprit. I am actively addressing my hypothyroid and feeling much better but the dreaded blight still remains! I’m going to try the cupping and check back in, it seems like its good for overall health anyway. Do you notice any difference using it on your face?

Yes, that’s where the effects are strongest for me. I still use them on my legs because it feels like they are helping, but they really seem to help keep my face clear. Perhaps it’s because the healing time of acne is so much shorter than cellulite. My cellulite has been there for 20 years but the acne comes and goes in a week or two.

There is absolutely a connection between fluoride and hypothyroidism. Docs in Europe used to use fluoride to depress the thyroid in patients that were hyperthyoid! I was slightly hypothyroid at the outset of the Cellulite Investigation, when I was still living in a fluoridated home. My basal body temp was low each morning and I had bouts of acne and a “down” feeling that seemed to fluctuate with my morning temperature. I also developed melasma around that time, which is linked to hypothyroidism as well.

Carla says:
5/10/2012

wow, the more i read the more i have in common with everyone…i have always had cellulite except when i did a cleanse when i was in my late 20′s –no gluten, dairy, sugar etc…coffee i could drink….i did it for a rash that was all over my body –that went away and in a month i noticed i had no cellulite…but then it came back—i tried the same diet with no success…. :( …i also, got melasma around the time my cellulite got really bad and my hormones started fluctuating… and although i work out it is very hard to gain muscle…i even train with somebody twice a week…spin classes, biking outside, hiking, regular yoga, pilates (although i want to try bikram’s now!) it is just strange…my thryoid seems in the normal range for western medicine…hmm, i need to check that with eastern medicine….very interesting! thanks for all this info ladies!

From what I’ve read about thyroid conditions, Western medicine only takes notice if your thyroid is pretty much done for. Regular docs aren’t likely to pay attention even if you have all the symptoms of low thyroid unless your test results indicate that your thyroid crashed. Dr. Broda Barnes claims taking your basal body temp is the best way to gauge thyroid health. See, Broda Barnes Self Test for Thyroid Deficiency. (sorry if I mentioned this before to you, Carla!)

christine says:
5/2/2012

Hi Mellisa, Interesting about using the fluoride to suppress thyroid…ewe! funny you should mention the melasma, I had a horrible case of that all over my neck! I realized it came on after eating a more vegetarian diet and drinking almond milk and avocados (both high in copper). Melasma can also be the result of high copper low zinc. Meat being a high zinc food. I began supplementing w/zinc and even using it topically on my skin and its almost gone! Yeah…. I love to crack the code. Now you’ve got me excited about the cupping for my face, glad it is working for you.
Thanks for all you do!

How interesting! I wonder if copper and zinc played a role in my melasma, too. It went away naturally when I stopped using benzoyl peroxide products. I also moved to Scotland around that time and was drinking non-fluoridated spring water and had very low exposure to fluoride in general. I didn’t get much sun exposure there, either. It came back to a lesser degree when I returned to the States, either because of all the florida sunshine or the fluoridated water–hard to say which one. At one point I was afraid I would never be able to show my face in the sun again, but that was a few years ago and it hasn’t come back at all. Makes me think fluoride and a low thyroid were more of a factor than the sun. Hooray!

Sessie says:
5/5/2012

Hi Melissa,
Congratulations on your new infrared sauna. I have taken 13 saunas so far (around one per week) for 45 minutes each. I don’t sweat much on my upper thighs either. I will try to position my thighs in front of the heater/infrared next time for a longer period of time and see if that helps.
I have heard that it’s great to dry brush first & shower so that you are clean when you go into the sauna.
Is the sauna above your sauna? Looking at the picture it does not look like an infrared sauna. What is the brand name of your sauna so that I can look it up online.

I notice that it really helps to make your body shed dead skin. Because of that, the sauna makes all of my skin feel really soft afterwards. Last week I was really sick with a cold/flu. After taking two saunas I was almost 100 percent better. It really really helped. I’m still waiting for the cellulite results, I may have noticed something but not a huge amount. I have lost some weight though & it definitely speeds up your metabolism, at least for the day you take the sauna.

No, that’s not my sauna. The one I bought is pictured in this post. (I was short on time when I wrote this so I went with a stock image instead.) I kept asking my friend for a brand name but she didn’t know. I thought for sure I would be able to figure it out once I brought the sauna home but there are no brand markings anywhere. She even gave me the manual and a dvd instruction guide that came with it. Apparently it’s from Japan. That’s all I can gather and I’m not even sure if that is accurate. It does say it uses some kind of carbon infrared heating elements. Is there a way to tell what the EMF output is?

I am just starting my second week or saunas today. So far I’ve taken at least one per day, and two on the days when I didn’t have to go into work. That’s 10 sauna altogether. I did two saunas on Thursday and when I went to bed right after the second one, I had a headache and felt like my body was going through a strong detox. I could feel an arthritis-type feeling in my hands and wrist. It was the same ache I used to feel when I was doing the beef stock detox. I felt great in the morning, though, after a good night’s sleep.

Today I stayed in the sauna a little longer (35 minutes) since I’m officially on week two. My legs are the very last part to start sweating. I could really feel a difference between the 30 minute sauna and 35 minutes. I’ve felt “on edge” all day and came down with a headache by lunchtime. I ended up taking an early morning nap from 1-2:30 and the headache went away. There is a good chance this sauna is helping my body pump out all this toxic fluoride. That would be so exciting! In the sauna book I am reading, he says it can take up to two years for your body to release the toxic chemicals it is storing. I really hope my fluoride detox doesn’t take that long. It’s not fun.

Sessie says:
5/5/2012

I met Dr. Raleigh Duncan at a trade show this year. He has helped to create a sauna that has almost no emf’s. Here’s a video where he talks about saunas and how much emf’s they emit.
I hope this helps!
He told me that he’s creating a personal sauna using hemp cloth that should be ready in the next few months. It won’t have any emf’s and it will be affordable (around $600)

I wonder how expensive the EMF monitoring gadget is he uses in the video. I have no way of knowing how much EMF my sauna emits. Speaking of EMF, do you have any thoughts on earthing? I just ordered this book about earthing from Amazon and am looking forward to learning more about it.

christine says:
5/7/2012

Hi there, I ordered a earthing kit months ago and have not been able to use it yet… I need an adapter…I live in an old ungrounded house. I’m really interested in any comments from people who have tried it.
Still waiting on my cupping supplies and started taking DIM. There are a few good articles out there pin pointing background estrogens as a cause for cellulite and the DIM helps to remove it. I’d love to hear comments from those who have tried it. Also, make sure to get plenty of potassium when you use your sauna everyday. Cheers!
Cheers!

Sessie says:
5/7/2012

Christine,
I’m taking Breast-D from Pure Essence labs. It has DIM in it. I will post here if I notice anything with cellulite.
Here’s a little info about it.
“Studies show that Vitamin D is crucial for breast health. Yet, less than one in ten Americans get the amount of Vitamin D that studies suggest is optimal for breast health. With 4000 IU’s of Vitamin D3 and potent levels of DIM, Calcium D-Glucarate, Green Tea and Lycopene, Breast-D™ is a superb breast support system. “

Sessie, have you ever tried the fermented cod liver oil? It’s a natural source of vitamin D. The FCLO/butter oil blend with cinnamon is one of my favorite supplements. A bit pricey, but worth it.

Sessie says:
5/7/2012

I haven’t tried it. The D in this formula is from lanolin. I like the Breast-D because it is also supposed to help detox out the breasts. I know that sounds funny but I think it’s important, especially for any woman who hasn’t had kids or breastfed.

Christine, what does your earthing kit contain? I just received the book today and eagerly jumped right in, while sitting outside in the backyard, of course!

I took a DIM supplement back when I had bad acne and didn’t know what was causing it. I didn’t notice any immediate changes, but my hormones have definitely become more balanced since that time.

Good point on the potassium. I’ve been focusing so much on magnesium because I know that’s what my body is noticeably deficient in when I detox fluoride. (I originally thought it was potassium, but additional potassium didn’t do anything to clear the symptoms. They cleared right up when I started supplementing with magnesium.) I broke out the bone broth again today and drank a small amount. I’m going to start incorporating an ice cube’s worth of bone broth on a daily basis. We’ll see how it goes. Thanks for your comment!

Christine says:
5/8/2012

Hello ladies, don’t you just love your saunas?
The earthing kit is a grounding pad you use while on the computer/sleeping or watching tv. The problem is….. its only meant for newer homes that are grounded. Eeek about the EMF’s in the sauna, not only do I sauna, but am surrounded by power lines. All the more reason to get my grounding rods hooked up. Is there a connection with EMF’s and cellulite? I’m sure it effects me in many ways.
Thanks for the info on the DIM and Vit D, I use cod liver oil but just started the DIM. I was hoping for a miracle about the cellulite. Good you’re taking the magnesium Mellisa, I think it helps with my skin too. Think I was just loosing to much potassium with sweat during the sauna, and low potassium causes a break down in the skin…ACK! Do you take boron supplements as well as the bone broth?

I tried a few different types of boron supplements but my body just can’t handle them. They make me terribly bloated and nauseous.

And yes, I love my sauna! But I will love it even more if it doesn’t put our major EMF. Very curious to see what the gauss meter reading will be for that…

Sessie says:
5/5/2012

Is earthing walking barefoot for 30 minutes on the ground? I have heard a lot about it and think it sounds like an amazing idea. Yesterday I took my shoes off for a short break at work and put my feet in the grass, I can’t tell you how much more I felt within just a minute of taking them off.

I think the unit might be a few hundred.
If you have more questions about emf’s and saunas I think Dr. Raleigh would be really helpful. He has been in the industry forever & knows a lot about the emf levels.

There is a link here to contact him http://www.infraredsauna.com/founder.html

I haven’t read the book yet but yes, that is the gist of it from what I can gather. I am always intrigued by simple, natural remedies like that and I’m excited to learn more about it.

Thanks for the link to Dr. Raleigh’s site! He would be a great one to interview in the new radio show. The show is on hold right now while I work on a few other things behind the scenes here, but I intend to make an all out relaunch in a couple months. Hopefully I will get over my stage fright by then!

Sessie says:
5/7/2012

Hi Melissa,
I wanted to tell you more about the saunas I’m taking now.
I’m using the large (3 person) sauna at a local wellness center ($16 per visit).
The sauna brand is Sunlighten. I have taken 3 saunas here. Before that I used a much lower quality sauna that didn’t have many infrared heaters in it (two strips where your back is and one small one down by your feet.
Here’s the link for the one I’m using now.
http://www.sunlighten.com/mpulse-empower.html I was able to get over a sickness in almost no time (a few weeks ago) using this sauna. I am also impressed by how much I sweat. I lay on my side for part of the time & facing the heater for another period of time (5 minutes) to make sure my stomach gets direct benefits of the sauna. Today I used the dry brush first, then I took a shower…and I still had lots of dead skin come off during/after the sauna. I don’t know why but it sure makes my skin feel great after I’m done (soft).

That’s a great price for a sauna session! The places around here were 60 bucks or so. Do you know the EMF exposure from the sauna you’re using? You’ve got me thinking about it now. I am considering buying a gauss meter so I can check it out for myself. Seems like it might be a good thing to have on hand to measure other appliances and wiring in the home. Reading about EMF is one thing but I’m sure it makes a bigger impact if you can actually measure it.

I was reading about them at EMFCenter.com. They seem knowledgeable and I like their common sense approach. The basic meter they recommend is $129 on Amazon. There are many other things I would like to buy with $129 so I’m pondering the decision. On the other hand, I don’t want to sit in my sauna and wonder if I am destroying brain cells!! :)

I know I asked you this before, but are you using anything for exfoliation after the sauna? I want to try my oil bathing technique in combo with the sauna somehow, but don’t want to overdo the detox, especially since it’s only my second week with the sauna. I think the oil bathing method would be amazing after the sauna, though. Hmmmm, I wonder if you would even need the bath for that… I’m gonna experiment…

Christine says:
5/8/2012

please let us know what the emf gauge says about your sauna Mellisa, sure hope I haven’t been doing more harm than good.

Just received my gauss meter today. It’s not good. It emits a ton of EMF (off the chart) within 6 inches or so of the heaters. The reading was about 5 in the very middle of the sauna, so I sat there for the time being, but I’m probably going to look into converting it to an infrared lamp sauna instead. There are instructions in the book I’m reading and it’s not supposed to be difficult or expensive to do. I’m just disappointed. :(

christine says:
5/11/2012

Oh my goodness Mellisa that is not good, I’m tempted to get a meter myself, I’m really quite concerned about the emfs in my house in general but this is a huge concern considering I use my sauna so often.

I know, I’m still really bummed about it. Today was the first day I didn’t use the sauna since I brought it home. I’m glad my book addresses how to convert a standard IR sauna to an infrared lamp sauna. He says it’s really easy and not expensive. But still, I don’t know when I’m going to have time to do that and I’m not really into home construction projects like this. At least I should still get use out of the sauna once it’s converted though. It was still a decent investment.

christine says:
5/16/2012

Hi, just tried the coffee coconut oil scrub…don’t know if it helps with cellulite, but my skin felt great. I’ve been trying to do the fluoride detox by just taking a borax bath after a sauna and drinking water with a pinch of borax in it as told in the earthclinic website. While researching I found a few things high in fluoride that I did not realize. I knew about the chicken, black tea and soda, but did not know about citrus, potatoes, raisins, grapes, wine, soy milk and lettuce! Just wanted to ask you Melissa, has the fluoride detox given you the best improvement for your cellulite? I’m not sure I read about it here on TCI but tamarind also chelates fluoride. Thanks for all you do!

Hi, Christine. I’m still in the midst of my fluoride detox so I can’t say it’s had an effect on my cellulite. I still have a lot of fluoride built up in my system. I can tell because I still get strong detox reactions. I’ve been thinking about taking a bath after the sauna, but I’m already so hot. Do you use cool water for the borax bath?

Yes, wine can be very high in fluoride because of a fluoride-based pesticide called cryolite they use on grape crops in California. I avoid all California wine unless it’s organic. I’ve never had a flareup after drinking wine from any other region, just California. I don’t have any problems with citrus, potatoes, or lettuce but I only buy organic produce. I suspect those are on the list because of fluoride-based pesticides commonly used on those crops. I don’t think they are natural accumulators of fluoride, such as the tea plant. I have no experience with soy milk, so I can’t say one way or the other. Soy contains a lot of phytoestrogens and enzyme inhibitors so I avoid it unless it’s prepared in the traditional manner (such as tofu).

Sessie says:
5/7/2012

I’m not using any exfoliation after the sauna. I find that if I just rub my skin a little bit during the sauna it has an exfoliating effect. I like to take a shower in the middle of the sauna to get any toxins off. Today I was in the sauna for 50 minutes with 2 shower breaks & one shower at the end.
What is your oil bath? Can you send me the link?
I don’t like to put anything on after the sauna, I just rinse with water (no soap) and the only thing I put on is some eye cream.
Have you heard of wool hats for the sauna? Your hair might start to get dry from the sauna. If it does people wear wool hats to protect their hair. I haven’t tried it yet but I’m thinking of looking for one (or making one).
I don’t know what the EMF’s are for this brand. I have a feeling it’s pretty low. From what Dr. Duncan says, Clearlight is the only no-emf sauna out there.

I haven’t heard of wearing wool hats in a sauna. Sounds itchy! I’ll have to keep an eye on my hair though and make sure it doesn’t get dried out. Can you make me one, too? I like pink. ;)

You’re fortunate to have reasonably priced access to a good sauna! After I went to bed last night, the EMF question popped into my head again so I got right up and ordered the gauss meter from Amazon. They had a used one available so I went with that. I’m really curious to see what it says not just about my sauna, but all the other areas of my house.

Oil bathing is basically just rubbing oil over your body, soaking in a tub for 15 minutes or so while the skin softens, and then scraping the oil off with a tool similar to the strigils common in ancient Greece/Rome. It’s amazing how effective it is at exfoliating the skin. I should probably write more about it on the site. Here is one of the posts about it. It used to have a video but apparently it’s no longer available: A Modern Strigil.

carla says:
5/10/2012

HI-I love all this info :) Not sure what DIM is though? thanks if anyone can let me know :)

Hi, Carla. DIM is a nutrient/supplement that’s supposed to help with estrogen dominance. Here is a brief description from WebMD:

Diindolylmethane is formed in the body from plant substances contained in “cruciferous” vegetables such as cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and broccoli. Scientists think these vegetables may help to protect the body against cancer because they contain diindolylmethane and a related chemical called indole-3-carbinol.

Diindolylmethane is used for preventing breast, uterine, and colorectal cancer. It is also used to prevent an enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hypertrophy, BPH) and treat premenstrual syndrome (PMS).

How does it work?

Diindolylmethane might act like estrogen in the body, but there is evidence that under certain circumstances it might also block estrogen effects.

Devin says:
5/16/2012

Hi Melissa- I came across your post by a customer of mine who mentioned and asked me to investigate. Great post and congrats on your journey! I believe that I can provide insight as to why your legs are not sweating the way you would like. The sauna you have pictured is ceramic heating based. Ceramic heaters traditionally posed this challenge due to the fact that your body is not surrounded by the heat. For infrared therapy to increase the core body temperature and produce a more profuse sweat your body needs to be surrounded by the infrared. Infrared waves are 1-directional and do not radiate throughout the whole cabin or around the body.

The industry has advanced to a Carbon based heating element. The benefit of this updated technology is that you can be completely surrounded by the therapeutic infrared waves. This increases the core body temperature much more rapidly. To give you an idea a 2-person Ceramic sauna will carry 3 heaters compared to a 2-person Carbon based sauna will have 8 heaters surrounding the body. With less heaters naturally you will have hot & cold spots throughout the cabin.

I don’t want to come across as self-serving, but I do work in the sauna industry. Your frustration is common among sauna newbies. If you decide to upgrade to a better experience, I would be happy to help.

twitter @saunasherpa

Hi, Devin. Thanks for your comment! The Japanese instructions that came with my sauna say something about carbon/ceramic filters so I assumed my sauna was a combo of both. I don’t know anything about sauna heaters so I’m not sure how to tell. It has 5 heaters in all, two on the back, two on the front, and one on the bench. (My sauna is the one pictured here. The one in this post is a stock image.)

It does seem like my legs are sweating more now. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m sitting in the center now (where the EMF is lowest) or if it just took my legs some time to respond to the heat. My biggest concern with my current sauna is the EMF output. I am considering converting it to an infrared lamp sauna for that reason. Any thoughts? Thanks, Devin!

Leah says:
10/20/2012

We have sauna beds here and they work great for cellulite. I think the difference is that they are lay down units so you can be face down or up to get a better concentration of heat. Those of you concerned about the EMF, you can buy BioPro chips for your beds. I have two in each of mine.

Hey, Leah. Thanks for the tip! What are the BioPro chips and how do they work?