My Experiments with Fluoride and Wine

18 Nov

Wine is one of the beverages that contains significant amounts of fluoride… sometimes.

Sources claim that certain wines are high in fluoride because of a pesticide commonly used on grape crops in California.  After reading this, I avoided all wine for a while.  I didn’t know if this pesticide was used in any other regions and I didn’t want to complicate matters as I tried to heal my fluoroderma.

Once my acne cleared completely and I felt like I had my fluoride exposure under control, I was able to experiment with adding the occasional glass of wine back into my menu.  Here is what my fluoroderma taught me about wines and fluoride.

Fluoride Content of Organic Wine

After my fluoroderma healed, the first wines I started drinking were organic.  I was confident they weren’t treated with cryolite, the pesticide that contributes to the fluoride content of grapes.  I’m not 100 percent confident in organic labeling, but I never noticed a problem with any organic wine I’ve tried.

But organic wines can be difficult to come by, especially at a restaurant.

Fluoride Content of Imported Wine

Next, I tried wines imported from Europe.  Europe has stricter laws governing the fluoride content of wine.  Again, I did not notice any problems.  I even expanded to wines from other regions, including Chile, Argentina, South Africa, and Australia.  None of them seemed to cause a noticeable reaction on my skin.

Fluoride Content of Wine from Washington State

I was happy with my options.  Most restaurants have at least a few imported wines available by the glass so I rarely ran into a situation where I could not order anything to drink.  Wine was a more reliable option than water at most places.

Yet, I was curious about wines from Washington state.  Sources I read emphasized the fact that the use of cryolite was specific to grape crops in California.  Was wine from Washington state that much different?

That’s when I found this article from the food and wine section of The Seattle Times: No Worries About Cryolite Here.  Apparently, cryolite isn’t used at all in Washington state because they don’t have the same pests there that California wineries are trying to avoid.

We ordered a bottle of wine from Washington state at dinner one night and it was fantastic! No breakouts followed, either.  It’s nice to have Washington wines as an option since they are often less expensive than imported bottles.

Fluoride Content of California Wine

At this point, I had never actually experienced a fluoroderma reaction from wine—I was only avoiding it because I had read that wine can be high in fluoride. I never drank so much as a sip of California wine to try and confirm that fact.

Until one evening, I found myself at a friend’s house.  I had not seen her in a couple years and I was just stopping by for a quick visit while I was in town.  My friend offered me a glass of wine from California.  It was a common brand available in most grocery stores.  I didn’t want to a) be rude or b) explain my fluoride sensitivity so I accepted the offer.  It would be a good opportunity to test the claim that California wines can be high in fluoride.

We were chatting so much that I didn’t think my hostess would notice that I was taking the tiniest possible sips from my glass.  That’s why I was shocked when my skin started to break out before I left her house.  I wasn’t even halfway through the glass!

We had been visiting for less than two hours when I started to feel a fluoriderma-like breakout forming on my chin.  This was my fourth day of travel and my face was crystal clear up until that point.  I remember thinking it seemed even clearer than when I was at home.

I would have to repeat this experiment a few more times because I would conclude with confidence that the breakout was caused by the wine.  Even now, it seems hard to believe that such a small amount of wine could cause a reaction on my skin so quickly.  Usually it takes a few hours before I notice a reaction.  But the experience was enough to keep me away from California wines indefinitely.  With so many other options to choose from, why take the risk?

Creative Commons License photo credit: ImageMD

Comments

Bethany says:
11/18/2011

Good to know about Washington made wines. I always look for the imported wines myself, but another option is always helpful!

Yep, there usually is an imported options but when domestic wines are the only ones on the menu, it’s nice to know vineyards from Washington State don’t use fluoridated pesticides.

Kerry says:
8/9/2012

Bad news, Fluoride based sprays are, unbelievably, allowed on organic crops. The reason Washington and Oregon grapes don’t have the Fluoride from these sprays is these states don’t have the particular pests there that farmers spray for in California and the like.

Wow, you are right, Kerry, as this article from the Fluoride Action Network confirms: http://www.organicconsumers.org/Toxic/flouride.cfm

If I’m reading it correctly, most California wines with an export market do not use cryolite because of fluoride restrictions in other countries.

John says:
8/13/2012

Very good information regarding fluoride in California wines. I will now be looking for Washington and Oregon wines. That is, until we find that there is some other poison that they are using on their grapes.

We can always count on the French and Italians. They wouldn’t dare poison their wines the way we do, would they?

Kate says:
9/14/2012

Thank you so much, Melissa, for figuring this out! I was skeptical at first since this seems to be the only corner of the internet where the acne-fluoride connection is discussed, but once I made a concerted effort to avoid fluoridated water and wine, I stopped breaking out around my mouth! I live in California and love wine, so I’m glad I finally figured out I was inadvertently poisoning myself (I figure if it was doing that to my face, who knows what was going on beneath the surface…)! I also wanted to add my 2 cents and say that Yellow Tail wine (from Australia) also caused a reaction in me that I’m unfortunately dealing with now. Unlike other pimples, the ones from fluoride do seem to pop up very suddenly out of nowhere, similar of like what Melissa described above. I just wish there was more detailed information about fluoride content of wine on the internet so we could know for sure which ones were safe!

Really, Yellow Tail? That’s not good! I just wrote to the company and asked if they ever use cryolite on their grapes or if they ever import grapes. I don’t know if winemakes do that, but the Yellow Tail brand is so common I thought maybe it is possible. Their website says only grow a certain percentage of the grapes they use to make their wine.

I’m glad avoiding fluoride is making a difference for you! Please keep us updated if possible. I’m always curious to hear about other people’s experience with fluoroderma, especially because there’s not much written about it, like you said.

Dr. Raymond Ray D.Sc says:
2/23/2013

I read your fluoroderma very carefully and I as a scientist I have no dought in my mind that fluoride is a killer. In this regard i wrote an document about 160 pages and which we are going to use for a massive $250,000,000 lawsuits against authorities responsible in adding fluoride in our water in Canada. Thank you Melissa.

Tricia Cheel says:
3/26/2013

Wow . . . just putting together a survey of effects of Auckland’s fluoridated water supply after I stopped drinking it on 20th October 2012 and have had amazing improvements in health . . . after just a day or so!
I have been avoiding wine for many years since just 2-3 sips can make me so weak I figured it just wasn’t worth it.
But I was tempted by a very good French Moet back in October 2012, and on the 3rd mouthful immediately regretted it – sudden weakness once again – and haven’t touched a drop since!