My Fluoride Detox Update: Fluorideville, Bone Broth, and Cilantro

15 Jul

It’s been several months now since I started my fluoride detox.  Progress feels slow at times, but I know real healing takes time.

Another Fluoroderma Flareup in Fluorideville

In my last update, I wrote about how I successfully avoided another fluoroderma outbreak even while spending a full week in Fluorideville.  This month I wasn’t as lucky.  After eating a couple questionable meals while traveling (such as lamb with orzo, even though I tried to avoid the orzo), I developed a few small breakouts along my lower jawline on both sides of my mouth.

All the breakouts are located along the line that leads from the corner of my nose to the corner of my lips and down the sides of my neck.  The area along this line is the first place I break out when I consume foods that contain fluoride.

Cilantro and My Continued Efforts to Detox Fluoride

When I’m not traveling, I try to push through with my fluoride detox efforts by consuming homemade bone broth on a daily basis.  I also take Dr. Ron’s mineral supplement, although I am starting to think the boron in the supplement is what is making me feel queasy on the metro in the morning.  The bone broth feels like a more gentle way to detox, although I still experience the persistent abdominal bloating if I drink it for several days in a row.

When I need a break from the bloating, I stop drinking broth and I stop taking the mineral supplement.  My body usually goes back to normal in a couple days.  But this last time around, the bloating continued to get worse.  I was eating my normal diet, except for one dish.

Sometimes for work, I will make a large taco-less taco salad and eat it for lunch all week. I love the spicy ground beef with shredded cheese, sour cream, and tomatoes.  But this particular week, I tried something different.  Inspired by the book on herbs I am reading, Healing Wise by Susun Weed, I made my salad with dandelion greens instead of the red leaf lettuce I normally buy.  I also threw in a bunch of fresh cilantro since I read it was good for eliminating toxins.

Could it be the cilantro was continuing the flood of fluoride that was being released in my body?

A search for cilantro and fluoride brings back a multitude of articles on cilantro’s detoxifying abilities.  This article in Natural News recommends cilantro as a way to release forms of fluoride that are derived from synthetic waste products, such as sodium fluoride.  In this lecture from a Swiss researcher at the University of Geneva, the author notes that:

“cilantro mobilizes more toxins then it can carry out of the body, it may flood the connective tissue (where the nerves reside) with metals, that were previously stored in safer hiding place.”

So instead of taking a break from the fluoride detox, it is possible that my system became more congested with fluoride as it was being displaced from my bones and other areas.

This fluoride detox is definitely a learning process. I am looking forward to the day it is over!

*This post is part of Fight Back Friday hosted at Food Renegade, Works for Me Wednesday hosted at We Are THAT Family, and Monday Mania hosted at The Healthy Home Economist.

Comments

Ellen says:
7/15/2011

have you thought about taking chorella? it binds to toxins in the intestine so that they can be eliminated.

D says:
7/15/2011

Yes, take something to bind with the things the cilantro is releasing. Chlorella is amazing. You might also look into apple pectin, and bentonite clay.

What type of chlorella do you recommend? I was taking broken cell chlorella after reading about it in The Truth About Beauty by Kat James. I didn’t notice any difference when taking the supplement, but this was before the fluoride detox and I didn’t know what to look out for. Maybe I will try it again.

I’ve also read good things about food-grade diotomatious earth. Do you think it is worth investigating? Thanks for the ideas!!

D says:
7/18/2011

Melissa, the Kyo-chlorella looks good. I have tried other products by that company and they have worked well. The chlorella I took was the Sun Chlorella, which is another good option (also broken cell wall).
On a side note, this is the greens that I’m taking right now. It’s pretty amazing (for hair, skin, nails, energy, etc..) check it out http://www.healthforce.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=6&category_id=1

Thanks, D! I’m going to order another bottle of chlorella for my next found of detox.

Whoa, that is a lot of greens in that product! I don’t know how all the kelp, etc. would affect my fluoride detox. I try to minimize the different factors so I can tell which foods are causing certain reactions. I’ll like to add something like that though in the long run. Thanks for the link.

Tamara Slack says:
7/18/2011

I’m so glad I came across this blog post! Cilantro is known as a chelator. It grabs onto heavy metals (and other things, I presume) and will remove them from the body.

But a couple things: NEVER cook with cilantro because it picks up the metals in the pot and then puts those metals right into your body.

And since cilantro naturally moves things (heavy metals, etc.), and if you have a major problem with these things, the cilantro could be (probably!) causing you to feel sick.

Cilantro has thiols in them, so if you are sensitive to thiol foods, then you would be sensitive to cilantro.

I only know all this because I have mercury poisoning and blog about it (www.TamaraSlack.org). On my detox days to get the mercury (and arsenic and lead) out, I use cilantro (never cooked). But on my non-detox days, never, ever cilantro because, from what I understand, it not only moves the metals around, it also crosses the blood-brain barrier (I think that last part is right). And if so, the toxins in the brain get moved around.

So for me, uncooked cilantro is good for detox days. Cooked cilantro a big no-no. And no cilantro on my non-detox days so I don’t stay feeling sick. I need recovery time and cilantro won’t allow for me to recover.

All the best to you! Don’t go cooking that cilantro :)

Tamara Slack

I’m too lazy to ever have cooked cilantro, Tamara! :) I only have it raw in salads or with avocado, the quick version of guacamole. I like how you designate your detox days and non detox days. You’ve inspired me to be more methodical about my fluoride detox. Do you do anything special on your detox days besides eating raw cilantro? What about the non detox days?

Sara says:
7/21/2011

I dont know if you have answered this question yet,sorry if you have.I have ADD and can only read so much.lol…but do you think you get the acne from drinking water with flouride and taking showers in it,or only from consuming it?? i found this very interesting because im 23 and did not start getting acne till i was 21.and its strange because i moved around that time.i checked both cities water quality reports,and the place i live in now is known for having bad water and has more flouride in its water then the last city i lived in.hmmmm……

Sara says:
7/21/2011

oh!….also i read another post of yours,and i get the exact same kind ofacne as you and in the same areas.i also saw your pics and mine looked almost as bad recently. it has gradually gotten worse over the past year and its been driving me nutts because its out of control and i havnt found a way to stop it yet!!

Yep, I definitely break out from drinking fluoridated water. I think showering in it has the same effect, although it’s difficult to say for sure at this point. My skin didn’t heal completely until I moved to a non fluoridated house, even though I was avoiding fluoride from every other source I knew of.

Are you drinking the tap water from your new place? You could try drinking bottled water for a few weeks to see if it has an effect. Some bottled water has fluoride in it, though. I know the Whole Foods brand of Spring Water (365) is okay and so is Poland Spring. I’m sure there are a lot of others, too. You could call the manufacturer to check. Let us know how it goes!

Sara says:
7/21/2011

well i dont drink it from the sink,but i do from the fridge,its the same water just filtered.so i dont know if that helps with the flouride or not.

Most refrigerator filters are standard carbon filters which do not remove fluoride. Even reverse osmosis filters don’t remove 100% of fluoride from drinking water (they come close, though–about 95%).

Jeunesse says:
2/20/2012

Hi, can you recommend some herbal supplement I can take for fluoride poisoning? I live in a country where fluoride content in water is 1ppm. No idea where I can find Borax or Boron but how do you consume it, and is it safe or edible? Fascinating detox article by the way. Thank you.

I don’t recommend Borax as an internal supplement just because that’s not what it is made for. Someone recently mentioned boron chelated with amino acids but I have not tried this option. I’ve been consuming prunes as my source of boron. They are very high in boron (similar to a boron pill) and I feel more comfortable eating a whole food instead of a man-made supplement. You can also try fresh cilantro.