Fluoride Content of Organic vs. Non-Organic Tea

20 Jul

Does organic tea contain less fluoride than non-organic tea?

This question has come up on multiple occasions as I edit my e-book on fluoroderma.  Everyone agrees that tea is a significant source of fluoride.  What they don’t agree on is where the fluoride in tea comes from.  Is it pesticides and pollution?  Certain fertilizers?  Or a normal component of the tea plant?

The Research Gap in Studies Comparing Fluoride Content of Organic and Non-Organic Tea

I did not realize this was a source of contention until I started passing my e-book around to researchers who specialize in fluoride studies.  It is widely accepted that older, lower quality tea leaves will contain more fluoride than younger leaves.  But this has nothing to do with whether or not the tea is labeled organic.  I have not been successful at finding a single study comparing the fluoride content of organic versus non-organic tea.

In an article on the Weston A. Price Foundation website, entitled Kvass and Kombucha: Gifts from Russia, author Sally Fallon claims organic tea is low in fluoride.  She sites a small study her team conducted by measuring the fluoride content of organic black tea before and after it was made into kombucha (a fermented form of black tea).

In the article, she states that the organic black tea contained “very little fluoride” yet the chart in the reference section reveals it measured at .94 ppm.  This is higher than the “optimal level” of fluoride in drinking water recently proposed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (0.7 ppm).  Some of this fluoride came from the filtered water used to make the tea (it measured at .62 ppm), but still, this small study did not give me confidence that organic black tea is low in fluoride.

How many samples were measured?  Was it just one?  What brand of organic black tea was tested?  How were the plants grown?  I would need answers to these important questions and more before I could conclude that organic tea is low in fluoride.

Questionable Testing Methods for Fluoride Content of Tea

In addition, one of the fluoride experts had the following to say about the tests used to measure fluoride content in tea:

A recent study by one of the world’s leading scientists specializing in fluoride found that measurements in tea, in particular, could often grossly underestimate the true level of F.  This is because tea not only absorbs F from the soil, but it also absorbs aluminum.  High levels of Al interfere with the most common analytical methods for determining F in foods.  This study found that the F level was 2 to 4 times higher in teas when using the accurate method compared to using the standard methods.

Where does the Fluoride in Tea Come From?

As opposed to grapes and other crops that are sprayed with cryolite, a fluoride-based pesticide, I have not come across a particular fluoride-based pesticides that is commonly used on the tea plant.  Some sources suggest fluoride in tea is absorbed through the soil, which means it could come from rock phosphate  fertilizers.  Are these allowed for organic growers?  I don’t know.

I gave up tea completely (even kombucha) when I determined that fluoride was the cause of my cystic acne so I have no personal experience to validate either claim.  Perhaps one of these days I will chug a glass or two of black tea to see if my skin can help me figure it out.  I will add that to the growing list of potentially fluoridated foods I want to investigate.

Until then, if you have any thoughts or further info on this subject, please let me know in the comments section below.  Thank you!

*This post is part of Monday Mania hosted by The Healthy Home Economist, Real Food Wednesday hosted by Kelly th Kitchen Kop, and Fight Back Friday hosted at Food Renegade.

Comments

7/20/2011

Interesting. I appreciate you taking the effort to look into this issue. I think many accepted beliefs in the health community need to be examined further, because as you noted with this issue, many of these theories are based on one or two small studies that may or may not reflect reality.

Melissa @ Dyno-mom says:
7/20/2011

Thanks! I had just done a post on eating WAPF for the poor and I was conflicted on recommending conventional tea because of the fluoride issue. Ultimately I decided that some fluoride in kombucha was better than the sodas but I was uneasy. You have helped me feel better! Followed you over from Kelly the Kitchen Kop.

Elizabeth–I never would have thought to ask the question if someone had not raised the issue with me. I thought I was being overly vigilant when I cut out all tea, but perhaps that was a wiser choice than I realized. It makes me want to be even more honest with both myself and potential readers as I write this e-book. I shouldn’t say “organic tea is fine” if I choose never to drink tea myself. The more real, the better.

Melissa @Dyno-mom–The article by Sally Fallon did mention that in their small study, they measured a decrease in fluoride after the tea was made into kombucha. I don’t know if this was from variations in testing or if the mushroom was somehow able to remove fluoride from the tea. As I mentioned in the post, it is generally agreed that young, quality tea leaves contain less fluoride than older leaves. If you’re not hypersensitive to fluoride, I would probably agree with you about benefiting from the kombucha, especially if you use quality tea (and why not organic, “just in case”). :)

Does anyone know if it’s possible to make kombucha from white tea? That should have the least fluoride since the leaves are picked when they’re very young.

Janny says:
9/24/2011

Hi Melissa, I just started making kombucha (as well as fermented vegetables and condiments) about a month ago on the advice of my alternative gyn. and have used organic white tea exclusively because it is supposed to have the least fluoride, aluminum, and caffeine. I don’t know too much about it yet though I’ve done much research. My SCOBY’s are relatively new. My husband and I really like my results so far, even unflavored. I brewed it for 16 days because we like it tart and I wanted to have most of the sugar consumed. I have flavored it with frozen peach and fresh mango puree, tart cherry juice concentrate, and fresh ginger. We enjoyed them all. I think the taste is not quite as robust as commercial but that is not a problem for us as I believe that will change as my SCOBY’s age, I become more proficient, and I learn more. I have four gallons brewing now and will leave one gallon to brew for a month to see how that impacts the flavor. I was given two SCOBY’s that were evidently a good deal older than the one I purchased and both of those gallons had a fuller flavor. I am brewing/growing a SCOBY from a teaspoon sized baby from a commercial bottle of kombucha and it is growing very fast. I am investigating continuous brewing because I understand that some of kombucha’s benefits do not accrue until the batch has brewed 21 to 30 days and that most commercial kombucha (so I’ve read) is brewed 30 days. I want to try Oolong tea when I make the next batch as it seems, according to the charts I’ve seen, to have less fluoride, etc., as green and black tea leaves have even though it is placed between green and black teas. I live on a farm and have the benefit of using wonderful fully tested well water for everything we eat and drink.

Hope this helps.
Janny

Kombucha!! I used to make is often until I discovered my fluoride sensitivity. Your mango and cherry versions sound amazing. Yuuuuuuuuuum!! Perhaps when I feel I’ve fully detoxed all the stored fluoride from my body I will experiment with Kombucha again. For now, I am really too sensitive to fluoride to take the chance. I’m still recovering from my last fluoride experiment (in case you are wondering, yes, anchovies contain a lot of fluoride!).

Christine D says:
7/17/2012

Melissa,
I know it’s been a long time since this post but can you tell me….Do sardines contain fluoride as well?

Yes, particularly if they still have the bones in them. I haven’t experimented with sardines, but I suspect they are similar to anchovies in their fluoride content. I did an experiment with those last year in Italy. Not good! http://www.celluliteinvestigation.com/2011/10/fluoride-content-anchovies-sardines-fish.html

Christine D says:
7/18/2012

Well, yesterday I marked tea off my list of consumptions and today I mark off sardines. My whole family loves sardines…so this one is a painful one to mark off. We do eat the boneless skinless sardines from Trader Joes but I am sure there toxic as any :(…Just one more question: Is there a natural way to detox fluoride out of the body? …Thank you so much for your informative posts on this subject!! Also, thank you for creating your own study of these foods and sharing the effect you’ve had. That’s brilliant!

So sad about the sardines. I like them, too! And fresh anchovies like the ones I had in Italy… oh my.

Yes, there is a natural way to detox fluoride. I’m in the midst of my fluoride detox, so I’m still trying to figure it out. I’ve learned that iodine displaces fluoride from the body, as does boron. Prunes and dates are naturally high in boron, so I’ve been eating those on a regular basis. Fish eggs are a great source of iodine so I eat those from time to time. You can also consume sea vegetables like kelp and kombu. One of the main theories I’m testing is that traditional bone broth detoxifies fluoride (it contains a lot of minerals and also connective tissue, which is good for cellulite. Double whammy!). I’ve written tons of posts about all of this, too many to link to here, so please let me know if there is something specific you are interested in. Oh.. and I’ve tried boron and iodine supplements to detox fluoride, too. They never work out as well as food sources (horrible detox reactions). And cilantro detoxes fluoride, too!

Manuel Antonio Hernandez says:
9/3/2013

Sounds like its worth a try. The scoby feeds off of the sugar in the drink, so the type of tea you choose is up to you. White teas tend to make the kombucha very delicate in flavor, so if you like strong kombucha you may want to let it sit a while, or mix teas.

Flouride pollution is from commercial fertilizers not pesticides. I did some research on this awhile back and the nonorganic tea has a risk for that reason as the tea plant readily soaks up flouride from the soil so if flouride is applied to the soils as with commercial fertilizers, that is where the problem occurs.

“Fluoride has been, and remains to this day, one of the largest environmental liabilities of the phosphate industry. The source of the problem lies in the fact that raw phosphate ore contains high concentrations of fluoride, usually between 20,000 to 40,000 parts per million (equivalent to 2 to 4% of the ore).”

I should add that I only use organic tea for my kombucha (been making it 10 years now) for this reason. :) Thanks for sharing at Monday Mania!

Thanks for your comment and the link, Sarah. Do you know if organic tea cultivators are allowed to use phosphate fertilizers?

No, they are not allowed from what I understand as these are chemical based fertilizers.

Hmmm, what makes you think they are “chemical-based” fertilizers? I thought they were mined from rock. I’ll have to ask someone who specializes in organic regulations. Thanks for your reply, Sarah!

Golda Starr says:
7/25/2011

India and other tea growing regions commonly have both soil and water containing high levels of natural fluoride. One of India’s primary challenges is the removal of fluoride from their water due to the many health issues that it’s causing.

Even for organic green and black tea, the fluoride naturally in the soil is readily available to the roots. For some reason those darned camellia sinesis roots seek out fluoride and just suck it right up into the plant. Here’s a reference that explains it from the scientific standpoint: Ruan J et al. (2003); The Impact of pH and Calcium on the Uptake of Fluoride by Tea Plants (Camellia sinensis L.); Annals of Botany Vol. 93, Issue 1 pp97-105.

Theoretically, if one could travel around testing the soil and the water in each tea growing plantation, one might be able to find a location with low fluoride content. If they also grow their tea organically (not adding any fluoride to the mix through fertilizers and pesticides like cryolite and many more), one could exclusively purchase their tea from them. Theoretically.

Although if one must purchase their tea from a company that packages and sells that tea, there is no way of having that kind of certainty and control. Growers work together cooperatively selling all their harvests to their local co-op, which in turn markets the tea to packers and distributors. The source of the tea products from each tea company varies continually because the teas they purchase are grown by different growers within the same coop. Plus co-ops handle the harvests of up to hundreds of farmers. There simply cannot be any guarantee of the absence of fluoride.

This month maybe Brand X has the lowest fluoride content (although without testing it we have no idea what “lowest” means) and next month maybe Brand Y is the lowest. But without truly sophisticated testing equipment, it’s all a guess.

Another interesting caveat is the fact that Dr. Gary Whitford, Regents Professor of oral biology in the School of Dentistry discovered that rather than 1 to 5 milligrams of fluoride per liter of black tea, that number could be as high as 9 milligrams per liter. He found that by testing the fluoride that is coupled with aluminum (which is normally ignored in testing AND is also quite high in camellia sinesis leaves), the fluoride content in tea can be up to 3.3 times higher than previously thought. Plus you get the extra added Alzheimer’s enhancing boost of aluminum!

I’m in Melissa’s camp on this one. Better to be safe than sorry. I’ve already been sorry. A little over a year ago I found out I was in 3rd stage kidney disease. I eliminated fluoridated water and all green and black teas, which I drank a lot of, and in 4 months my kidney function improved 90%. For me, green and black teas are simply too dangerous to play hopeful guessing games with.

This ia excellent information, Golda. Thank you! I feel like we are kindred spirits! (for those of you who are interested in fluoride matters, I recommend checking out Golda’s blog: "http://fluoridedetective.com/"
> Fluoride Detective

I wonder if we could find a small brand of fine tea that comes from a particular region known to be low in fluoride… maybe a Japanese tea.. something ordered online, perhaps? I’m going to check into this. Not that I can’t live without tea, but it is nice to be able to offer people an alternative.

Chris says:
8/26/2011

Melissa, Golda, and others,

Great discussion on the level of fluoride in tea. Almost all soils have relatively high levels of fluoride and aluminum, but most plants do not absorb these through their roots and store them in their leaves. The tea plant is unique in this regard, at least among those plants that humans consume. What this means is that it is probably impossible to find a tea that has very low fluoride in it, even if it is grown with no fluoride contaminated fertilizers and no fluoride containing pesticides. Some soils may be better than others, but since all soils contain substantial fluoride, I suspect all tea will have fluoride. Supposedly white tea and other teas made from young leaves do have less fluoride. But for someone with a special sensitivity to fluoride, this might still be too much.

Thanks for this information, Chris! I’m fine with avoiding tea, at least for now while I am recovering from fluoride toxicity. There are so many other tea-like drinks out there (herbal “teas,” etc) that it doesn’t feel like much of a sacrifice. I’m more interested in solving the mystery than finding a way to drink black tea again.

Janny says:
9/24/2011

Hi Melissa,
Since you are detoxing from fluoride I imagine that you have read David Brownstein’s (?) book on iodine and how to remove the halides, including flluoride, from your body. I believe the title is “Why You Need Iodine and why you can’t live without it”. My MD, who leans toward alternative healing, told me I should be taking iodine since I was taking Armour Thyroid for hypothyroidism and, that I was increasing my risk of cancer, especially of the breast, if I didn’t start taking iodine. I thought, since I was taking the Armour Thyroid, that I didn’t need iodine. Evidently, I was wrong. My husband and I have enjoyed many positive health benefits since June of 2009 when we added iodine to our supplement list.

It appears difficult to find a medical doctor who is aware of the benefits of iodine. Different alternative healers seem to be more aware of our body’s need for iodine and several have protocols for adding it to the diet.

My husband and I have gardened and farmed organically for several decades, have studied nutrition for that length of time, and, believe our bodies were designed to heal themselves most of the time if given the proper inputs with which to work.
Janny

Yes, I blogged a lot about that one last year. I even took the Iodine Loading test from Hakala research. (here all all my posts about iodine). I had a hard time with iodine supplements because of all the fluoride that is accumulated in my body. My face broke out for months and I had extreme bloating in my upper abdomen. I plan on trying Lugol’s at some point, but the iodine researcher at Hakala told me that he believes boron may be even more effective than iodine at displacing fluoride. That sent me into my boron adventures. The side effects from boron were much worse than the iodine. I ended up with symptoms of acute fluoride toxicity on more than one occasion (see My Efforts to Detox Fluoride with Boron).

I am finally recovered from all that detoxing. I am going to try again, but I need to change my approach. My body can’t handle all that fluoride begin released at once. I need to take it slower. I’m also looking into ways to give my body more support. I’m writing a fluoride detox update for my post tomorrow so I’ll tell you more about it then.

What kind of iodine supplement are you taking? Did you notice any negative side effects? I am always a bit jealous of people who have enough land to farm. We have a lot of fruit trees and plan on starting a garden when I am back in Florida full time, but our yard is tiny. Someday!

Janny says:
9/25/2011

Hi Melissa,
I take Iodoral, 12.5 mg./tablets, by Optimox Corp. out of California. Each tablet contains 5 mg. iodine and 7.5 mg. potassium iodide. My husband nor I had any drastic or negative side effects. We both noticed a change in our singing voices but not a negative change. Other than that we noticed many positive benefits. I remember listing about ten or eleven benefits at the time including more sound sleep, more energy, and a much stronger immune system. Neither of us has been sick for over two years except for an occasional tummy problem.

We have had the benefits of consuming only well water for several decades and I believe our fluoride intake was minimal hense relatively minimal detox side effects.

It sounds as if you have had a terrible time with fluoride detox. From what you’ve mentioned you seem to be getting closer to figuring out how quickly and what you need to detox slowly enough to control it. I know fluoride is a major problem in our country but I have problems convincing even my own children of just how problematic it is.

We live in PA but have recently purchased a fixer-upper home in Cape Coral, FL on a 1/4 acre lot on a fresh water canal. We have decided it is time to get out of the hard PA winters to the sunshine in FL. We plan to go down for a few months after Christmas and hope to get a cool weather vegetable garden in quickly. We will be looking for a source of organic compost when we get there. You mentioned that you live in Florida and have fruit trees. We have a grapefruit tree and a couple of banana plants and are looking to put more trees in.

In my post on white tea for kombucha I mentioned that it contains a smaller amount of caffeine (quoting material I had read on-line) than green or black. I just read today that it contains more caffeine. Does anyone have definitive information on which is correct? I guess I will decaffeinate my tea before using it from now on.

Janny

PA and Florida are my two home states too, Janny! I grew up in PA but moved to Florida in 2003. Right now I only live in Florida part time, but I hope to be back full time in less than a year. We went a little nuts with the fruit trees: mangos, bananas, avocado, orange, grapefruit, lemon, lime, papaya, fig, cherry, and of course, coconut! So far they are all doing really well. A few are in pots on the pool deck, but most are in the ground. We’re hoping this year they will start bearing fruit.

Wow, I always thought white tea has less caffeine, too. But now that I think about it, my body has told me otherwise. I remember getting “the shakes” from white tea. It should have less fluoride because the leaves are younger, but here is an interesting link about the caffeine content: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/phytochemicals/tea/

I am going to try a different version of iodine. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the info!

Amanda says:
10/13/2011

I just came across your website a couple of days ago after researching iodine deficiency in relation to hypothyroid symptoms. Wonderful information so far! I had no idea fluoride depletes iodine, and so began my furious google research on how fluoride might be the culprit in all my health woes. At 24, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Treatment with Levothyroxine did not help fatigue and my dose was always being adjusted. At 26, I developed adrenal fatigue and was put on Cortef and Florinef. My doctor says autoimmune polyendocrine syndrome type 2 is suspect with the presentation of these diseases but I’m not diabetic (yet.) My doctor wants to test for Crohn’s disease and Celiac disease now. So many autoimmune problems at so young is depresssing and suspicious. I feel like a 90 year old woman. So I’m “experimenting” a bit within the confines of my current treatment.
In relation to this article, I found a few abstracts about fluoride in tea, herbal tea, and decaf tea. Also, according to my research, most organic farms use mulch, compost tea, and compost (including compost pellets) as fertilizers. I guess if they use groundwater or city water high in fluoride to water and make compost tea it doesn’t matter if it’s organic or not. Might be worth it to ask organic tea farmers if the use aquifers or on-site wells? Comments already cover most of what is written in the articles but it can’t hurt to contribute, right? This website has many more articles like this, just do a search for fluoride. Hope it helps a bit!

Fluoride Abstracts

USDA Certification requirements on plant, livestock, and soil amendments:

Amanda says:
10/13/2011

Grammar errors aside, I wanted to amend my post about aquifers and well water possibly being better than city water. Apparently here in Texas, the selenium and fluoride levels contained therein are 19% above MCL (maximum contaminate level) for irrigation and drinking… and that water is used by local livestock and produce farmers. Pretty insidious stuff!

You might be onto something, Amanda! Fluoride can greatly accelerate the aging process and cause a host of health problems. The easiest way to find out if fluoride is causing issues for you is to eliminate it from your diet as much as possible for a few weeks and see if you notice a difference. Here is a post I wrote about common dietary sources of fluoride. I am about to publish a free e-book about fluoroderma and it will have a lot more info about fluoride sources and how to avoid it. I’m also building a “fluoride corner” to put on the CI website. It will have several other resources that I hope will be helpful, including a pocket guide to fluoride sources. My goal is to post it all by the end of October.

Fluoride in tea is such a tricky topic. Tea accumulates fluoride from the soil. Much of the fluoride in the soil could come from phosphate fertilizers which I’m told are within organic standards because they are from rock. I need to look into this more, but I still don’t drink organic tea just in case. I would love to interview an organic tea farmer about this!! I’ll add that to my to-do list. Thanks for your comment and I’m so glad you found us!

Kristen Henry says:
10/27/2011

Thank you for hosting this great discussion Melissa! I feel like I’ve just met some new friends :) I’m starting my first Kombucha batch today, and trying to decide what tea and water to use, and your page came up in my google search :). I don’t have a fluoride filter, but other than added fluoride, apparently our city water is pretty good… better than most bottled waters… maybe I’ll go ask a friend for some filtered water… I would love to know when your ebook is out! We are working on getting our city to stop adding it to the water, perhaps your book will help :)

I had no idea tea concentrated fluoride… I wonder if thats why I never feel very good after drinking it, despite everyone’s enthusiasm for it… Thanks for the heads up! I heard that Kombucha needs caffeine to work, otherwise I’d harvest those raspberry leaves outside… should do that anyway :)

For Amanda, be encouraged… In many ways, I could have written your post 2 years ago, and now I am so blessed to be able to say I’m healthier than I was 20 years ago… It took a long time to sort it out, and now I’m happy to share what made a difference for me…

Lugols was a bit too much for me too, after learning more about detoxification pathways, I understand that I was overwhelming my body’s capacity with the rapid detox lugol’s induced… You ladies really helped me put some pieces of the puzzle together today :)

thank you again Melissa, I look forward to checking out more of your blog :)

I’m glad you found us, Kristen! It sounds like a lot of our health investigations have been on the same path. It will be great to add your voice to our discussion. Your comment about Lugol’s is interesting. Did you find a detox alternative that worked better for you? I do miss making kombucha. I’m considering trying my hand at water kefir instead. It’s another fermented beverage, but it doesn’t include tea at all. Have you tried it?

Laurel says:
8/30/2012

What about the difference between naturally occurring calcium fluoride and toxic sodium fluoride? My understanding was that calcium fluoride may actually be beneficial for bone health in small amounts, and that that’s where the idea to fluoridate the water actually came from. I could be wrong about this, as I haven’t done any of my own research, but this is what I’ve heard in the past. Obviously non-organic tea could be high in sodium fluoride from the fertilizers, as well as tea grown in highly polluted areas. But it seems to me that if rock phosphate is truly mined from rock, it should contain the naturally-occurring form of fluoride. Does anyone have any insights?

Great question, Laurel. In my experience, both cause my skin to break out. I’m not sure if naturally occurring fluoride is bad for everyone, but it’s certainly not good for me or for people who have already experienced exposure to toxic levels of fluoride. In parts of the world where levels of naturally occurring fluoride are high, such as certain regions in India and China, people suffer from skeletal fluorosis and other disorders. Perhaps in small doses the body can process it though. I’m not sure.

Bea says:
9/30/2012

Hi, I don’t know if you know about potassium bromate, but it , like fluoride is also an iodine blocker. It is in most flours except for organic ones. I know that King Arthur Flour does not contain it. Anyway, like you, I had to give up tea, as it started making me lose my hair and then I also found if I gave up flour, my hair loss stopped!!! Yeah!!! I first thought it was the gluten, but now believe it was potassium bromate. You might want to look it up, if you haven’t already. It is carcinogenic and not allowed to be used in flours in Canada and Europe. What the ?@@##??? is wrong with the U.S. anyway?? King Arthur even has some info regarding it. I think Bob’s Red Mill might also be good. Love this site. Thanks, for all your hard work and hope you are feeling much better!

Thanks for the info, Bea!! Dr. Brownstein does warn about bromine too in his book on iodine. I avoid most baked goods as well as soft drinks. I don’t have my book handy, but I believe he said those were two of the biggest sources. Glad it helped with the hair loss. That’s amazing!

Lorraine says:
3/3/2013

I have always read tea is good for cystic acne…?
Can you priovide more info on why you stopped drinking tea, please?

Mark G says:
4/26/2013

I’m reading all of these comments and want to say a few things.

First, do not use Weston Price as a legitimate source. Sally Fallon is not a researcher and has no idea how to fund a clinical trial or study. The majority of books written on soy by associates of Weston Price are filled with lies and data collected from the internet and/or Wikipedia.com.

With that said, let me tell you a little about fluoride.

There are two types of fluoride: naturally occurring and the by-product of the phosphate fertilizer industry. Sadly, Fluoride was forced on the American people without their consent back in the 60’s. We were told it was good for us but what we weren’t told is that it was simply a way for an industry to dispose of their toxic waste. That’s right, sodium fluoride cannot be dumped into the Ocean. It’s nasty stuff and a recent study has come out that shows fluoride makes us stupid. Now, the fluoride that appears in tea will be naturally occurring fluoride. China and India have naturally occurring fluoride in their groundwater. Thailand does too. Anyone that thinks fluoride is good for them should go to fluoridealert.org. It’s nasty stuff in organic or chemical by-product form. Now, any tea that grows high in the mountains will have lower to non-existent fluoride. This is because produce and trees that grow high in the mountains don’t have access to ground water. They are completely dependent on rain water for growth. This is why I tell friends who visit Thailand to avoid all but organic foods in Bangkok because it’s a fluoride heavy city. Up in the mountains there are virtually no traces of fluoride and the fruit, vegetables, animals and people are much happier. So, what we should be asking is where the tea came from? Puerh tea is a tea that grows high in the mountains. I have consumed organic and non-organic varieties of this tea and sent off samples that have come back to me with zero to low amounts of fluoride. Obviously, the best thing we can do is to consume Organic and know where our tea comes from. Ask the company if they have done a fluoride study on their teas if they are organic. They should have because fluoride is a very touchy issue and, for a tea to be labeled as organic is must contain very low to non-existent quantities of fluoride”.