Free Facial Exercise Videos to Naturally Treat Wrinkles, Laugh Lines, Dark Circles and Other Effects of Aging

08 Jul

Last week, we received a hot lead on an all-natural body treatment developed by Carole Maggio called “no lipo lipo.” It targets cellulite through a special type of knuckle massage.  Some women swear by it.

But before I investigate “no lipo lipo,” I’m  excited to try another treatment Carole developed called Facercise.

As many of you know, my face has been through a difficult time over the last few years as I dealt with my fluoroderma.  Now that my skin is clear, I’m noticing that my face looks subtly different than it did the last time I had clear skin, before I moved back to the fluoridated U.S. in 2008.  I’m hoping Facercise can help bring back that more youthful appearance.

The Facercise Challenge

Facercise is a series of facial exercises designed to decrease sagging skin and wrinkles by improving muscle tone in the face.  I just finished reading Carole’s book and I’m excited to take the Facercise challenge.  Carole claims women see results after just 7 days on her Facercise program. She recommends taking before and after pictures (front and profile) so you can better judge the effects.

Below are instructional videos for each of the 14 exercises Carole recommends in the basic Facercise regimen.  Once you learn the moves, it takes about 11 minutes to run through the whole routine.  She says to complete the exercises in this exact order twice a day to see the best results.

Is anyone up for taking this challenge with me? Don’t forget to take before and after pics so we can see if Facercise really works!

*UPDATE:  Carole’s videos have since been removed from YouTube, so I am posting a different set of facial exercises here.  I hope you enjoy them!

Exercise #1: Tone and Lift Cheeks

Exercise #2: Full Lips

Exercise #3: Eye Wrinkles

Exercise #4: Firm Neck

Exercise #5:Forehead Wrinkles

Comments

herama says:
7/8/2011

I’ve intermittently tried eye/brow exercises but never keep up. I’d say I’d try this, but honestly 11 minutes seems like a lot of time! However, I’ll check them out and will try any targeting eyebrow lifting for a week.
BTW-got a dermaroller but it had bent needles so now waiting for replacement…

oh no, that is not a good sign. Where did you buy it from?

D says:
7/8/2011

Thanks for posting these. I just did most of them. I couldn’t figure out how to do ‘The Mouth Corner Lift’. I have no idea how to do what she is asking us to do. I would like the corners of my lips to turn up though! They turn down a little bit.
I love face exercises and I usually notice pretty quickly some subtle changes in my face after doing them.

That is a tricky one. The point is to flex those muscles at the corner of the mouth. If you make that face, then pretend like you are sucking through two straws, one at each corner of your mouth. The fingers aren’t really involved in the exercise. They’re just to help you visualize which muscles you’re using so you can isolate them better. I hope that helps, D!

Galt says:
8/15/2011

I always do facial exercise or facial yoga. It helps you to get rid of wrinkles. My favorite facial yoga style is beauty queen but it doesn’t mean I’m gay. I’m just a guy who wants to stay look younger than the usual guy in my age. Those videos are a great help. Thanks :)

You’re welcome, Galt! I did a quick google search but didn’t see anything about beauty queen facial yoga. Do you have a link?

Cecil Kelly says:
8/17/2011

I agree that facial muscles can be toned and firmed through well-designed face exercises. It leads to genuine face fitness which is something that that you won’t get from plastic surgery and non surgical face lift procedures.

Elizabeth says:
12/11/2011

hi, does anyone know if you do both the face widener and the face slimmer exercises or just one or the other. as would one of them not counteract (dont know if thats the right word) the other.

I’m a beginner when it comes to facial exercises too, Elizabeth, but I think you can do both. Carol’s theory is that droopy and saggy facial features are caused by slack muscles on the face. Both of those exercises work to tone different facial muscles, so I can’t see them counteracting each other. I think they would make your whole face in general look more toned and youthful. But this is an interesting question. Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

manci says:
3/25/2012

This whole exercise is a fake. Be very very careful with it, because it creates new lines on your face, destroys its natural look. I have tried it and for me it took long weeks to regain the lost fat of my face and to get rid of the new lines. Be aware of this!

Oh no, Manci! Yours is the first negative review I’ve heard. How long did you do the exercises for? Where did you lose the fat on your face? Where did it cause new wrinkles? Thanks for any additional info you can provide.

Dianne says:
10/2/2012

Manci, Are you sure Carole’s exercises caused your new lines? Did you by chance change your eating habits or start an exercise program at about the same time? Her exercises are designed to build up the muscle tissue under your facial skin. They should tone, but not reduce fat in the skin. You know how you’ll sometimes see a severely obese woman with the beautiful, porcelain face of an angel? If that woman gets motivated to lose a great deal of weight and does so too quickly, there’s lots of extra skin with no muscle… mostly in the tummy area… but also in the face – which translates to facial wrinkles, even when the skin is otherwise still beautiful. (I saw my best friend do just that; now she has a new set of problems to address!)
Another example: my dad developed COPD from a lifetime of smoking, and there are apparently an array of other health issues related to having it that a diligent doctor will monitor. One lifestyle change is his new diet – not prescribed for weight loss, but for the improvement of the functioning of other major organs. One perk he’s derived from faithfully keeping to menu items he’s allowed is that he’s gone from a 38 pant size to a 34. I have noticed, though, that his face is becoming too thin! He looks like he’s aged a decade over the past few months – so much so that I asked Mother if he was ill. Conversely, he *feels* great! Apparently the weight loss in his *face* is responsible for his new wrinkles. Mom and I pulled out a picture of him from last Christmas, and there’s no mistaking that what I’ve said is true. I know he’d never do them, but his appearance would improve if he would do Carole’s routine to build up muscle in his face, because Mom and I did it!
We began Carole’s exercises some years ago, and both of us saw really quick improvement in wrinkles, sagging eyelids, that “line” between the nose and corner of mouth – and also the dreaded “turkey neck” we were both starting to get. That was the happiest change to me, although it took a little longer to affect that area enough for others to take notice. That skin also starts to look papery-looking as the neck sags, but as the exercises begin to tone and build muscle, the actual texture of the skin begins to look healthy again. Sadly, it does not reduce pore size on any part of your face… but there are products to help with that!
Anyway… Mom stuck with the program, while I drifted away from it after I lost both my husband and my son, who was our only child. Probably, I used my facial muscles a LOT less than ever before, because it was a L-O-N-G time before I smiled again. Even if my face aged double-time in the past few years, it shouldn’t be so much as to make my 80-year-old mother’s features look younger than mine at 57!
I can think of one more testimony to the efficacy of Facercise: Mom is #4 in a family of eight girls; in every group picture they’ve taken in the last decade, anyone guessing would have to pick her as the “baby” among them. If face exercises can beat out genetics, even… I guess anyone who wants to look young as long as possible is crazy not to be doing them!
You should consider other factors that might have come into play to give you new lines while doing Facercise. Google “Facercise before after” and choose “images” to see for yourself!
I’m sorry to force my two cents – or maybe more like my quarter…! But why don’t you try them again, just for a little while? (As if it’s any of my business…!)
Sorry once again, but I am s-o-o sold on Facercise!

Aleta Thomas says:
5/11/2013

I did The Facercise program in my 40’s and everyone thought I was in my 30’s . Now i’m in my 60’s and everyone thinks I ‘m 50.

jennifer says:
3/20/2013

Hi Manci:

I tried Carol Maggio’s exercises and got the same awful results as you. I lost my face fat and muscle tones. I wonder if that’s because I did the exercises wrong (I found that I kinda did the cheek exercise wrong) or because her program is too aggressive (two times a day is way too much now i look back). I did them two times day for almost 6 months. How long did you do the exercises and did you ever get to have a full recovery of your original face back? I am really scared now.

carol says:
3/30/2012

ive been doing facial workouts for years eva frazer it does work but need to be dedicated. started carole maggio love the lip workout but find ive developed line on upper lip will still do them but abit worried incase it is making them worse.

Uh oh, you are the second person to say the facial exercises are causing lines. How certain are you the line is related to the exercise, and not just “normal” aging? (Although even that would defeat the purpose of doing facial exercises, wouldn’t it!)

carol says:
4/1/2012

i saw abig difference in my upper lip with caroles excercises it has plumped up but when i smile there is a dint just under my nose which has left a line. wondering if its plumped up to much or i need to do more to get rid of the dint

It’s amazing you can actually plump your lips with exercise! I can see how you could go overboard with is, though. Reading through the forums about facercise, a lot of people have remarked that Carol’s face looks a bit strange, as if she’s had plastic surgery. Maybe she has, or maybe it’s from all the exercise, the way a female body builder’s body looks a bit strange when compared to normal women.

carol says:
4/8/2012

yeah it could be through doing excercises all day and every day with her clients. eva frazer the same but it must work you just have to look at both of them now they have not aged at all. eva frazer must be in her mid eighties now looks great. i think you have to do them every day to get the results you want. does anyone use an electronic face excerciser. would like to hear some reviews i have one but still think eva and carole’s method get more results

I haven’t heard of Eva Fraser. Just checked out her website. Looks interesting! i like how she says you only have to exercise your face for 10 minute a day, four times a week. Do you know if/how her program differs from Carol Maggio’s? There is another facial exercise guru here in the States but her book was abysmal, so I went with Carol’s program instead.

carol says:
4/12/2012

yes it does differ from caroles programme. with caroles you feel the burn in your lip area and there is more resistance but both programmes work eva is amazing for 85. ive purchased caroles dvd waiting for delivery ive been using her book but think dvd will be even better. why have the excercises been deleted

Oh darn, it says the videos were removed by the user. They must have taken them offline. I was wondering why they had the exercises posted for free online. It was basically the same thing as the dvd, you just had to push the play button for each individual exercise. That is disappointing! Does anyone know of any other free facial exercise videos I could add to this page in their place? I need to start looking!!

carol says:
4/13/2012

hi melissa i went on youtube to see what excercises were the best to use you could. maybe download some from there. my facercise dvd will be delivered next week so excited to get started think the book is a bit hard to understand some of the excercises. hope this helps

Yes, there are a ton of facial exercise videos on there. It’s hard to know which are the good ones. I might include several from different sources. The ones from Jack Lalanne are entertaining. He is a classic facial workout guru!

carol says:
4/14/2012

yes ive seen jack lalanne video think he started the face excercises when he started his gyms. also there is video by jilly johnstone back in the nineties very good

Is the Jilly Johnstone video on Youtube? I couldn’t find it.

carol says:
4/15/2012

no its not on youtube. its on amazon uk called the 3 minute facelift by jilly johnson

Viv says:
5/10/2012

Hi Melissa, I think I’m late to the party. Just hearing about facial exercises. It looks like you may have been trying them for a while. Do you think they work? The theory makes a lot of sense, but I am really nervous about causing more wrinkles. I’ve been trying about a day and a half now. I have deep lines from nose to mouth so trying that oval shape with the rubbing the lines and I do think it looks worse. Does it get worse before better? It could also be that I am so focused now that it makes it seem worse. I’d just be curious your personal opinion of your own experience with it. Thanks!!!

Hi, Viv. Yes, I do think they work. Makes a lot of sense, right? I still think diet is the most important factor in how your face ages, but the facial exercises seem to be a great way to keep everything where it belongs. Since I cleared my acne, I’ve been focusing more on cellulite than my face but the exercises are something I plan on doing more in the future.

It doesn’t seem likely that the exercises would make any wrinkles worse after just a day and a half, but you know your body best, so if you think it is you can always stop or try different ones. In addition to the exercises, I’ve been experimenting on and off with a lot of other treatments to improve my skin. It’s hard to tell which ones have had the most results, but overall I’m very happy with where I’m at right now. I feel like my skin looks better now than it did my whole adult life so far (I’m 34). The things that have made the most difference are dietary changes (more healthy fats and no fluoride), cupping massage, and using quality oils on my face, such as coconut oil and ozonated olive oil. I’ve also been using a derma roller on occasion, but probably not enough for it to be effective. Sorry I don’t have time to add links to all of these, but if you use the search feature to the left you should be able to find more info. Thanks for your comment!

carol says:
5/13/2012

hi viv ive been doing facial exercises for years carole maggio dvd is very good you can feel the burn if you do them right dont think you will get more lines, its just you look at your face more so you notice more but keep on doing them they do work

Thanks for the info, Carol! Makes total sense. Have you tried other facial exercise programs besides Carole’s? Would love to hear your thoughts on those!

carol says:
5/15/2012

hi melissa i started doing eva frazer exercises years ago she is now in her eighties and looks great she uses vaseline as a moistureriser, but her dvd can be a bit boring. tried jilly johnstons face exercises back in the eighties called the five minute face lift i liked that better and got good results. think carole maggios is the best one though my lips have changed shape more plump and you feel the burn which is great.

It’s good to hear you like Carole Maggio’s program the best. It does seem to be well put together. Do you think it’s necessary to do the whole program? There are only one or two problem areas I want to treat. Do you think it would it be a bad idea to focus on those instead of doing the whole thing?

Viv says:
5/18/2012

Hi Ladies, thanks so much for the replies! I actually do think the exercises made my nose to mouth wrinkles worse, but I think it’s totally my own fault. I think I was rubbing too hard and I chaffed my skin. It is red and peeling and puffy (in a bad way) all around my mouth. I think you have to rub much more gently, particularly when doing the pulsing. I would probably benefit from watching the video (versus reading about the exercise), but it’s so expensive. I think some of the other exercises are helping a tiny bit (now at roughly a week), but sadly I’ve had to lay off the mouth to nose ones. I will look up some of the other items (cupping massage, oils, derm roller) you mentioned. I have lots of problems with breaking out, but I don’t think it’s fluoride (I did take your quiz). I’ve been trying the clairisonic now for about 2 weeks. Not sure what I think of it. My skin is more broken out, but I would expect that at first so we’ll see. Acne and wrinkles, what a fine combo!! :(

Thanks for all your help! Welcome any other comments/suggestions. BTW – Did you ever try yoga for your cellulite? I know it sounds crazy but I’ve been doing yoga a few years and my cellulite has never looked better and I wasn’t even trying. Lots of standing splits and half moon poses!!

That makes sense, Viv, especially if your skin is really tight and dry. You are barely touching the skin with your fingers. All the effect is supposed to come from the muscle contractions, the finger movements are mostly there for visualization purposes. If you’re still breaking out, I don’t recommend the derma roller. It’s definitely not for troubled skin!

The Love Vitamin is a great site for anyone dealing with acne that’s not fluoride related. Perhaps you’ll get some great ideas there. Have you heard of the caveman regime? It involves not washing your face or using products. She’s been trying it for 3 months. Interesting idea. I found all the products they market for acne usually make things worse. Now I wash my face with oils or powdered goat’s milk. It’s so nice to be free from all those products!

Yes, I love yoga, although it sounds like I should do it more often. It seems to have unique cellulite fighting capabilities. What kind of yoga do you do?

Viv says:
5/28/2012

Hi Melissa, thanks so much for all your replies. You’ve been so helpful and informative!! Let’s focus on cellulite since that’s your primary interest right now. I’m glad that one doesn’t bother me so much or I’d be doomed! I’m no couch potato (i run 3-4x week between 2-4 miles a run – usually more like 2 miles) and I’ve done Pilates for years, but I’m not going to win any fitness awards I always had bad cellulite through/despite all of that. I started yoga just a couple of years ago – that’s my only change – and I swear my cellulite is about 1/4 of what it was. Yoga is the only thing I could attribute this to. I do Vinyasa Flow Level 2-3 yoga only 2 times a week. I do about 5 mins a day at home, most days. Not a huge commitment. It’s a pretty intense class though. I am often sweating, but when we do some of the standing sequences where we go from chair pose to warrior 3 to standing split to half moon to bird of paradise (all where you are really keeping your leg up and moving it without touching the ground) you can really feel the burn and I think it’s made all the difference. If your studio is anything like mine, they dont want to hear you are there for fitness and beauty benefits so i’d just tell the teacher that you want to improve your balance and strengthen your legs so you can focus more on being in the moment. That will probably get you to the types of sequences that help with cellulite. I hope this helps a little. I imagine the more you do it, the more improvement you will see. Let me know what you think. You might be able to find a good DVD out there too that admits what it’s for. Thanks for all your help to me. I thought you might be interested to hear in all my rooting around I found others who said Carol Maggio’s program made their nose to mouth lines worse too. Someone recommended yoga facial exercises and a lady called Rose Tran. I checked her out – looks interesting since I’m a believer in yoga. http://www.yogafacialtoning.com/. Thanks again Melissa! Please let me know how you make out!

Thanks so much, Viv!! What great info! We’ve been getting more and more comments recently about yoga. It was one of the first “treatments” I came across that seems to specifically target cellulite. Since the lymphatic system doesn’t have a pump to circulate lymph throughout the body, it relies on the combination of skeletal movement and breath. Sounds a lot like yoga, right??? Lymphatic congestion is the immediate cause of cellulite, so it makes sense that a regular yoga practice would result in dramatic improvements.

I love your advice about how to get what you want out of a yoga studio. Too funny! I have several yoga dvds that I love, including Yoga for Every Body and The Barkan Method. I’ve been sidetracked lately with my infrared sauna sessions, but comments like yours motivate me to get back into a consistent yoga practice.

Are you thinking of trying the facial yoga dvd? I just bought Facercise so I’m not up for purchasing another one just yet. But it looks intriguing! Please let me know what you think of it if you do decide to try it!

carol says:
5/16/2012

hi melissa
i like to do the whole thing but i do my lip area more and got results, what you can do is, do the whole think twice aweek and do the areas that need more work, so glad i found her excercises you cant go wrong if you do them right.

That’s a great idea, Carol. It’s hard to work in the full program twice a day as she recommends, but I’m sure I could handle twice a week and then supplement with the other exercises. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sabria says:
6/8/2012

I’m a teen doing the nose shortener to narrow my wide nose (my nose isn’t sagging or anything). But I’ve had muscle develop on the sides of my nose making my nose wider instead of smaller. How do I combat this? Also, the exercise is supposed to be done 2x a day and I’ve been doing it 10+ times a day because I’m so obsessed with making my nose smaller. Should I lower the reps to 2? And how do i get rid of the new muscle and thin my nose overall? I would love for this exercise to work for me because Carole Maggio’s facercise gets such positive reviews, but I just want the new muscle to go away and thin my nose. Thanks in advance for any advice you could offer.

Hi, Sabria. Sorry I can’t be of much assistance with this! My main interest is cellulite, I just found Carole Maggio’s facial exercises after reading about her No Lipo Lipo program. Your question is so specific, it seems like you need a more experienced person to give you a good answer. Have you tried any of the facial exercise discussion forums? Here is one I found with a quick google search. I hope it helps! http://flexeffect.proboards.com/

Sabria says:
6/10/2012

Yes I’ve looked into the facercise forums and am now, but saw Carole Maggio’s facercise cone up into the comments and decided to ask anyway. But thank you for your help. I’ll look into the link you gave me.

Sorry I couldn’t give you a better answer, Sabria! If you’ve got a question about cellulite, though, I’m all over it!

carol says:
6/15/2012

hi sabria i think you have overdone the excercise and built to much muscle. i have build a lot of muscle above my lip which has caused a line and a dint when i smile i have been over doing the reps like you want fast results. so do them twice a day like carole said, but i wondering if she’s had surgery on her lips they do look natural anymore.

Gabrielle says:
2/9/2013

Hi…

The “Beauty Queen” exercise, to which Galt referred, was mentioned in video #1 on this page. Annelise Hagen, the face yoga expert interviewed in the video called it, however, the “PROM Queen”.

Sonia says:
8/7/2013

Hi Melissa,
Firstly you are the first person I have seen on a website like yours that actually replies to comments so it makes this a unique experience for me.
I am dying to know how your facial exercises going? Is it working? Have you had as good a result as expected?
I’m about to buy a micro current machine and I’m just wondering have you had any experience with these? I’d like to go the natural way but I’m afraid these routines are not as fast for results.
I’d like very much to have your opinion.

Thanks so much

Hi, Sonia. I’m afraid I haven’t been replying to comments lately, after the blog grew a little too overwhelming for me to take care of when I was also working through the challenges of wedding planning! I’m taking a break now and enjoying married life, but keep the blog up for people who find the info useful. I hope to return to it soon, but don’t have a clear plan for doing so. Still recovering from the recent craziness. The facial exercise have gone by the wayside as well. I haven’t looked into micro current machines. Best of luck with it though! I’m sure our fellow investigators would love to hear about your results, so please come back and share.