The Cellulite Smasher (aka Foam Rollers, another succes story!)

08 Jun

It is so exciting to receive comments from women who have seen success in their efforts to banish the blight.  Sometimes these comments are from older posts so not all of you get the chance to read them unless you happen to be digging through the CI archives.

Just yesterday, we received a comment from Aundi who saw dramatic results with her cellulite after one month of using a foam roller. Foam rollers first came on our radar last June when I reviewed the Rumble Roller (one of my favorite self-massage tools, the other is the Theracane).

Foam Rollers for Cellulite

Here is Aundi’s account of using a foam roller to reduce cellulite:

I am shocked at what my foam roller has done for the appearance of my cellulite in the past month. I have always been very fit but in the last 7+ years I feel like my upper and lower body don’t match. I have very lean muscular arms and love wearing tank tops but when it comes to putting a bathing suit on and showing my arse and thighs I’m mortified. I’m very small (5’5″ and 110) and still have all the bumpy crud that make me so insecure.

My fix? Long board shorts and a bikini top. Show off the top and hide the bottom. And when I’m at home in the nude I never turn my back on hubby….I walk away from him backwards and giggle. UGH!

I found out about the foam roller at the new gym I joined and it caught my attention when one woman called it her “cellulite smasher”…which is how I continue to refer to it as. I immediately bought one at Big5 for $24 and I’m hooked. The first week it hurt so bad it was like knives in my legs. I would moan and work though it for about 20 min while I watched Dr. Phil. I’m on my second month and I can roll over it way less pain and concentrate on working on some of the more stubborn areas. I am beyond amazed and wish that I took some before and after pics (however, I was so insecure I’m not sure who I would have let take pics).

Anyhow, I hope this is helpful to anyone thinking about doing this. Think of it as a deep tissue massage. And even if you don’t have the results I do, it’s a great way to loosen your IT band and make you more flexible. Good luck!

A Throwback to the Rolling Pin Method for Cellulite Reduction

Foam rollers work by increasing circulation in the affected area.  They are similar to using a rolling pin on your legs, an old “wives-tale” method for reducing cellulite.

I’ve used the rolling pin method, and it makes it easy to feel which areas have the most sluggish circulation.  It is striking how the tender areas on my legs correspond with the areas that have cellulite.

Has anyone else tried foam rolling or the rolling pin method for cellulite?  Any thoughts, tips, techniques to share?

*Read all our Cellulite Success Stories from real women.  So inspiring! This post is part of Works For Me Wednesday hosted at We Are THAT Family.

Comments

herama says:
6/8/2011

I have one and did use it fairly regularly for IT band issues when I was running. It definitely helped with that. I wish I could say it helped with the cellulite. I didn’t notice any change. I will vouch for the pain, though! It hurt in a way that made me kind of cry and laugh. It does get better. I started again when I read the rolling pin story, but didn’t keep up with it. I guess I could try again…

I think it’s the kind of treatment that will help your body along, but it’s not likely to be the magic bullet. You still have to figure out what’s causing your cellulite and eliminate it at the source. I’m using the rolling, dry brushing, oil bathing, etc. to help with my fluoride detox.

T. Thema Martin says:
6/19/2011

I want to buy a roller. Specifically what kind did Aundi buy or which one do you recommend?

Great question, T. I just emailed Aundi to ask her. I’ve been using the Rumble Roller but I don’t know if it’s the best one for cellulite. It has raised ridges which make it great for massage, though. I typically use the Rumble Roller on my back and a rolling pin on my legs. The rolling pin is smaller and the handles make it easier to use on the legs, in my opinion. But I’ll make a point to use my foam roller on my legs all week and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your question!

Daisy says:
7/8/2011

Has anyone using these rollers experienced any negative side effects? Y’all make ‘em sound so painful… I’m prone to spider veins, and I worry that all that fierce rolling would break the delicate veins near the surface of the skin. The LAST thing I need on my legs is anything else to make them look WORSE!

You are smart to be cautious of using a foam roller if you have tender spider veins. I would avoid those areas or choose a different treatment for cellulite. Dry brushing and oil bathing would be a better place to start.

Kathleen says:
10/11/2011

Interesting. I had an IT band issue (Iliotibial Band is a tendon) and Rolling was one of the recommended ways to stretch it. It’s the IT Band that causes the pain. Once you stretch the IT band and loosen it up, the pain is greatly reduced. Of course, it takes several times stretching it to help loosen it up. I’m pretty sure that’s why some are saying it hurts when they use the Roller. They are stretching their IT Band. I’m not sure if it works for Cellulite but I don’t think it can hurt.

Thanks for the info, Kathleen! How much rolling did it take before you felt the difference? Was it a week, a couple weeks? And how long did you roll for each time?

herama says:
10/12/2011

I’m gonna butt in and say that everybody is different and I believe most people that roll for their IT band do it because it’s already causing them pain. I.e. it’s already pretty bad. That’s been my experience, anyway. That said, I don’t think there’s any particular recommended time to roll, but it is possible to exacerbate an existing IT band injury by rolling too much or too aggressively.
I had ongoing, fairly acute pain in the side of my quad for weeks while running, and finally realized it was IT related. After a few days of daily rolling, I had relief. It’s also helped with some hip pain, but seemed to exacerbate another hip pain (I have a lot of overuse issues!).
Right now I have a very bad knee pain which is also though to be IT related, and rolling hasn’t helped a great deal though I’m not being very diligent about it (b/c it hurts like hell!).
Anyway, point being, like everything else, one should probably start with brief sessions and see how it goes. The only non-intuitive thing about rolling is that it DOES hurt like hell as part of the process. When my physical therapist had me do it in the office, I thought he was stupid and making my injury worse. But I was wrong.

My IT band has never given my problems, so I can’t comment on that one. The roller is still amazing at loosening all the tightness in my back. Some days when I come home from work it is an absolute life saver. Five minutes with the rumble roller, and the tension is totally relieved. I’m starting to think it’s not the best option for cellulite, though. The lymph vessels involved in cellulite are so small and delicate, I think a gentle treatment like dry brushing (or cupping?!) is more likely to stimulate lymphatic circulation there. I’m not saying rolling is bad for your legs, just that it might not be the most targeted option for treating cellulite. Also, improving circulation in other areas (like the back) is likely to be beneficial for your legs and the rest of the body, too.

Amy says:
10/13/2011

I bought my foam roller a few months ago but haven’t been consistent. I started using it 3 nights ago and have already noticed a difference with the appearance of cellulite on my inner thigh. I definitely have weight to loose but am happy to already have smoother skin in an area that has plagued me for over a decade. I spend 10-15 minutes doing my entire body and count to 10 (while summoning my yoga breathing technique) on particularly painful spots. Last January I was all gung ho about losing weight and actually sprained my hip to the point that I couldn’t lift my foot off the floor. Now I am taking the next few months to work out the kinks before jumping back into a potentially dangerous (for me anyway) cardio work-out. Another benefit I have noticed is that I sleep much more soundly and actually feel rested in the morning. That alone is a amazing and the reduction of cellulite an added bonus!