Cellulite Success Story from Supplements and Derma Roller

03 Jun

Our latest cellulite success story comes from Sophie who shared the details in a comment here on CI last week.  She wrote:

I have had cellulite for years and have tried everything to no avail…after a car accident this past march my therapist suggested Pure’s Ligament Restore which contains vitamin c, glucosamine sulfate cartilage, hydrolyzed collagen, lysine,silica etc., I noticed a substantial improvement in my cellulite and firmness of the skin!

That with the combination of using a derma roller once a month for CIT (collagen induction therapy) my cellulite which was a grade 4 has virtually disappeared! It took some time to see results with the derma roller but be patient after 3 months the results were amazing!

Lessons From Our Latest Cellulite Success Story

Sophie’s account is fascinating for a couple reasons.  First, it supports our theory that the most effective way to heal cellulite is to provide the body with plenty of nutrients to help it rebuild connective tissue.

Second, it renewed my interest in derma rolling.  We published an intel report from the field about derma rolling over a year ago, but I have yet to invest in a derma roller myself.  I am curious to try it but I’ve been putting it off for a few reasons.

Where to Buy a Derma Roller to Treat Cellulite and Scars

It’s hard to know where to buy a reliable derma roller.  The blogger at Home Dermarolling Guide recommends the Dr. Roller brand (he has commented here at CI before and seems like a real person, rather than a derma roller salesman in disguise). But even once you select a brand, you must find a reliable retailer.  Apparently some retailers sell fake Dr. Rollers.

Then you have to decide which needle length is right for your problem area.  I want to try derma rolling not only for cellulite, but also for some scarring on my face.  I suspect I will need two separate derma rollers.  At over $50 each, that is not small purchase.

What are your thoughts on derma rolling?  Do you think it is something I should investigate firsthand?   Any advice on purchasing a roller?

*Read all our Cellulite Success Stories from real women.  So inspiring!

This post is part of Fight Back Friday hosted at FoodRenegade.

Comments

6/3/2011

Interesting! I might need to try that derma roller out. I’ve actually been reading about vitamin C therapy–some of the benefits include detoxification and rebuilding of connective tissue. I wonder if this would impact cellulite?

I decided to take a spoonful of rosehips in my morning glass of water the other day (rosehips are extremely high in Vitamin C). I had so much energy all day, I decided to try it the next morning, too. I’ve been taking rose hips every morning since then. I’ve had so much energy, I just keep on taking it. I’ll let you know if it impacts the cellulite!

herama says:
6/8/2011

i take a ton of C and sure don’t notice a difference. :P But then, I’ve taken it for years, so who knows? There are studies that show topical vitamin C serums have proven beneficial effects to the skin. That site I mentioned below (EDS) has a ton of info on making your own C serum. Very easy, and apparently better than most store-bought because it oxidizes very quickly, thereby becoming ineffective. I’ve tried it, but didn’t keep it up b/c I wasn’t seeing the results I wanted. However, I don’t think I was making it correctly.
As for rosehips, there are studies that show rosehip seed oil has very beneficial effects when applied topically. 1) high in vit C and 2) some other stuff (heh, can’t remember what other than a vit. A derivative). I’m currently using that on my arms and legs to see if has any effect. Supposedly can reduce sun damage (pigmentation/wrinkles) after several months. We shall see. Unfortunately it’s also known to be acnegenic and it def has that effect on me. Even a little bit on my face will usually cause pimples by the next morning. I keep trying, though!

You can buy rosehips supplements, tea, and Vitamin C supplements with added rosehips.

I’ve been wanting to try rosehip oil. The blogger over at home derma roller recommends it, too. I’ll be cautious though now that I know it can cause breakouts. I haven’t noticed breakouts from anything other than fluoride, except for that one instance with the rose water.

herama says:
6/9/2011

Yeah, I’ve even noticed a few pimple-like bumps on my arms when using it. Not many, but it seems like it clogs the pore and blocks the hair follicle or something.
My face, though, is bad. Even if I have it on my hands after applying to my arms and I just pat my face for a little benefit, I have bumps and sometimes little whiteheads when I get up the morning!

Interesting… I wonder why it would clog one person’s pores but not another? There are so many mysteries when it comes to the human body…. I am constantly wondering that simple question: “why?”

herama says:
6/3/2011

Dermarollin is one of the few thins I have not yet tried. I’ve read many account of its use, but knowing how I am both prone to skin infections AND overly enthusiastic about using products (i.e. overly aggressive causing more harm than good), I’ve been afraid to try them. I’ve also read you are not actually supposed to reuse them (!) b/c of concern for bacteria. My understanding is that most everyone does reuse many times. Otherwise too expensive!
I’m interested in the supplement Sophie took. Having noticed more and more how my skin is really losing elasticity, I’ve been looking at ways to improve it. One problem seems to be my body’s inability to retain moisture. Anyway, last night I read about Silica and wondered how to get more in my diet. I used to take Alpha lipoic acid, but don’t know that it made any difference but it REALLY exacerbates GERD symptoms.
Maybe I’ll try that supplement…

Yes, I think they last a few months and you can reuse them several times. Eventually the blades lose their sharp edge and you’ll have to buy a new one.

herama says:
6/3/2011

Oh! BTW- for LOTS of user info /discussions on dermarollers, check out Essential Day Spas forums. There are so many posts on skin/DIY stuff it’s really quite amazing. I even read an old thread last year on someone successfully getting rid of cellulite by aggressive massage that left her bruised but smooth…(I just got bruised).

Wow, great forum! Thanks! I will definitely be digging around there when I have time to research which derma roller to use and how.

Tania says:
7/15/2011

I’ve been using the MTS (0.5mm length) & ZGTS (1.5mm) roller ordered from the http://www.dr-roller-shop.com website every 2 weeks for the past 2 months with good result. I pair the rolling with BioOil for additional stretch mark improvement.
I am intending to buy the DTS roller because it has a smaller needle diameter with a diamond shape that is supposed to be less painful (although I’ve tolerated both of the above lengths on face & body without need of topical anesthetic) & also the DTS roller at more needles per square cm (540) & it’s manufactured in a disk fashion so needle drop out doesn’t happen.
It’s a longterm investment that isn’t that expensive IMO (especially comparing to other things women spend $ on to be beautiful!).
Good luck,
T

Tania says:
7/15/2011

Sorry, mistake – I bought the MNS 0.5mm roller.
My order was safe & timely btw & they’ve been durable.

I’m going to add Hydrolyzed Collagen into my daily supplement regime now with VitC.
I bought from this website (I’m Canadian) & they shipped fast & were safe (I get no kickbacks): http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=1402

Good luck to all my fellow sisters suffering the cellulite scurge!
T

What is the difference between the ones you are using (the MNS and ZGTS) and the more expensive Dr. Rollers? I have a lot of research to do before I take the plunge here…

herama says:
7/18/2011

So, after my derm Dr. confirmed the odd lines in the crook of my arm are stretch marks, and was unable to provide and reason for it, I had to take another stab (pun intended!) at rolling. I just rolled for the first time on Tuesday, so wanted to try a few different areas today (too soon to go over the Tuesday spots). I rolled the OTHER arm, wrinkly bits and the stretch marks (which are much lighter on this arm- possibly b/c I did NOT use retin-A on this arm to try and lighten them? I think it worsened the other side. :( ) Also rolled a new hyperpigmented spot on chin (recent pimple gone very wrong), a melasma spot under my eye that’s darkened significantly in recent days thanks to the sun, and the “11” between my eyes AND nasal-labial folds.
Can you tell I have a final and a paper I’m trying to avoid?! ;P
I rolled MUCH more agressively this time and drew blood in all spots, including my arm, which right now (an hour later) feels burnt. Hmm. We shall see.
This is using the 1.5mm and no numbing anything (didn’t even bother trying the ice).
Until I see results with my face or arms, not going to bother trying with cellulite on back of my leg- just too awkward to maneuver. And I really question how such a small needle could have much effect on a thicker area like the back of the leg. I mean, really?

oh dear, derma roller + finals = bad combination. ;)

Thanks for keeping us updated on the dr exploits. I don’t blame you for trying the non-cellulite areas first. I would probably do the same thing. I think it would be easier to tell if it’s working on more superficial blemishes such as stretch marks, wrinkles, or pigmentation issues. It does seem crazy that a small needle could have an impact on cellulite. But then I think about how the body miraculously heals itself when you scrape your leg or get an insect bite, etc. Perhaps the needles (and acupuncture in general) are able to provoke some of that same healing action.

herama says:
7/18/2011

Dermarolling is supposed to work by creating inflammation that then sends your body the message new collagen is needed to restore the traumatized skin. I believe Acupuncture, on the other hand, works on some idea of chi/energy. Other than for pain management, there have been no conclusive studies regarding healing using acunpuncture.
Just seems that to trigger sufficient trauma to areas where the skin is thick (thigh vs. face), deeper needling would be necessary. But maybe not if, like me, it seems to be more matter of aging,thinner skin. Mostly it’s a bigger, awkward area that will be difficult to reach and assess results.
We shall see.
I def have more redness in the face this time than last.

I see what you mean. But you’ve got a rather large derma roller, so you never know…

Danae says:
4/24/2013

Hi Herama! Just reread the Derma Roller info and would like to know how you got on with the product? Did it improve the skin? How did you keep the roller clean? Did you try it finally on cellulite?

Thanks for any info!

Danae says:
10/12/2011

Dear Melissa, I would be most interested what you think about the Derma Roller – and would definitely think it worth investigating – I saw a youtube video about a woman who said it worked well – but came to the exactly same impasse as you – as soon as I wanted to buy one – I could not see which one would be reliable and I do not want to end up with damaging my skin just because I choose the wrong roller etc. Perhaps you could as the reporter which contacted you with the success story – where she bought and what size and type she used? Many thanks for these interesting insights!

I’m on it, Danae!! Since I wrote this post, I found a derma roller and am about to test it out for an upcoming review. I’ll be sure to let you know how it goes. I’m scared! ;)