Cellulite Success Stories: Dry Brushing, Exercise, and Coconut Oil

17 Jun

For those of you who aren’t familiar with the Paleo Diet, Mark’s Daily Apple is the primary blog source for info and inspiration related to the paleo movement.  It’s also one of the most popular blogs I know of, which is why I was so excited when last week, The Cellulite Investigation was featured on the site!

Mark’s wife, Carrie, recently started responding to reader’s questions related to womens issues, so of course the subject of cellulite was bound to come up.  She did a great job of explaining what cellulite is (“the pitted appearance of fat deposits in the body”) and the various contributing factors (hormones, changes in weight, toxic buildup, etc).

She did rely on the genetic argument to explain why thin women have cellulite, but overall the article was right on target.  Check out her summary of how to treat cellulite:

You can enhance the health of your connective tissue and skin’s collagen through regular exercise, whole body movement like yoga and Tai Chi, avoiding sugar, and by incorporating relevant nutrients into your diet like EFAs (especially omega-3s), clean saturated fats, and glucosamine. (Sounds suspiciously Primal, doesn’t it?) Consider it a good excuse to make some healthy homemade broth on a regular basis.

She even throws in an endorsement for CI!

I’d recommend checking out the Cellulite Investigation website for more Primally-compatible tips.

Cellulite Success Story #1: Hiking

The reader comments at the end of the article are worth reading, too  —especially because they include two cellulite success stories from real women, as opposed to the contrived testimonials we are accustomed to reading on sites that endorse conventional anti cellulite products.

Kirsch tells us that her cellulite disappeared after a grueling hiking trek.  Here is her exact comment:

I know from experience that cellulite can be completely eliminated. I have had cellulite all my life but after a 4 week trek to Everest, I came back 15 pounds lighter, super energetic and without ANY cellulite. But it will return if one goes back to old ways and a sedentary lifestyle.

It came down to a lot of exhausting mountain hiking, drinking a lot of water to keep hydrated (especially important at altitude) and eating a non-Western diet.

Cellulite will disappear completely but it takes a lot of physical effort, daily activity level, proper diet and lots of water.

My advice to women is put on your hiking boots and head for the hills on a regular basis and drink lots of water. Forget all the gimmicks out there in the marketplace.

I’m not saying we should all head for Mount Everest, but it is worth noting that Kirsch’s experience fits with our current theory that cellulite can be eliminated through increased movement and eating a non-industrialized diet.

Cellulite Success Story #2: Dry Skin Brushing, Coconut Oil, and Saturated Fat

Katie from the Wellness Mama blog lost her cellulite by dry brushing, moisturizing with coconut oil, and adding more fats to her diet.

I had a lot of luck with dry brushing also. I started it several months ago, and between that, using coconut oil for moisturizer and upping my good fat intake, cellulite is virtually gone (and I’m not at my lowest body fat either, since I’m 8 months pregnant!).  I also love the soft skin too! Between that and my new ability to tan thanks to eating healthy, I finally like my skin for the first time ever!

Our list of real life cellulite success stories seems to be growing longer each week now.  Are you inspired by these latest accounts?  If anything, they tell us that it is possible to get rid of cellulite.

*This post is part of Real Food Wednesday hosted by Kelly the Kitchen Kop and Works for Me Wednesday hosted at We Are THAT Family.

Comments

Erin says:
6/17/2011

these success stories are encouraging. I found your site a few weeks ago and it inspired me to start dry brushing. I’ve been doing it every day for close to a month now – but feel like the appearance of my cellulite has gotten worse :( Have you heard of cases where it gets worse before it gets better? It’s frustrating because after moving to a warmer climate, I really wanted to see an improvement for summer so I could wear shorts, skirts etc without being so self conscious. It’s too hot to be worried about how my legs look!

I just started the coconut oil moisturizing too, maybe that will help. And I’m pretty sure sugar is my “kryptonite” so I’ve been working to reduce it – this will be the hardest step for me!

Addressing the kryptonite issue is definitely key. Dry brushing will help the healing process along, but it won’t do much if your body is still dealing with the source of your cellulite. I saw such dramatic results with dry brushing when I first started because I was living in Scotland where they don’t fluoidate their water. I didn’t know fluoride was the cause of my cellulite at the time, but that didn’t matter.

bee says:
12/3/2012

I have lived in a non-fluoridated area for over 5 years and my cellulite is the worst is has been in years. Fluoride binds to calcium not fat, so it wouldn’t effect the appearance at all. I found exercise (listed above) has helped the most, as well as deep tissue massage, it hurts a lot, even leaves bruises sometimes. It helps break up really hard fatty deposits so exercise can eliminate the excess fat easier.

Thanks for your comment, bee. As for fluoride causing cellulite, it’s not so much that it binds with fat. I believe fluoride consumption can lead to cellulite because it ends up blocking the lymphatic circulation around the fat cells.

Erica says:
6/17/2011

Regarding exercise, I think we should just exercise like our ancestors did. They didn’t even have an exercise routine. They just moved quite a bit through walking, biking, gardening etc. In truth, I doubt 30 minutes of exercise a day can make up for 8 hours of sitting at a desk job.

I agree! Movement feel wonderful, but treadmills are evil. :)

Nice and congrats on your link feature :) I am proof that skinny woman can have cellulite…I am the smallest I have ever been in my life and still have a few patches but most is gone! I dry brush, spin and hot yoga/ yoga, added lots of healthy fats and CO. My reports are great and almost gone!

This is great news, Natasha!! Please do keep us updated. I can’t wait to add you to our list of cellulite success stories!

Ulibka says:
8/4/2011

Hello ladies!

I just wanted to share my progress so far with coconut oil and dry brushing. I’ve been doing it about a week and I can’t say my orange peel is looking better yet, but my skin does seem firmer and smoother all around. I try to dry brush my entire body most days, but make sure I do my thighs and butt everyday, for at least 5 minutes. They I massage coconut oil onto my thighs and butt. In addition I have been putting a tablespoon in my tea everyday. I love the smell of it, and it’s incredible how much it suppresses my hunger. I plan to continue my routine! I recommend it! Good luck everyone!

Thanks for sharing, Ulibka! Dry brushing, massage, and coconut oil are all excellent places to start with an anti cellulite treatment. Don’t forget to try to identify your kryptonite, though. That is key. Please keep us posted. Good luck!

Lisa says:
6/28/2012

Don’t know how I stumbled upon your site but I sure am glad I did! I’m going to try the dry brushing, but I’m not sure I understand the direction of brushing? I’m 5 foot and 119lb so my cellulite is mostly on my stomach and thighs. My kryptonite is SUGAR!

Help! I use coconut oil in my coffee and when i make breakfast….

Hi, Lisa. I’m glad you stumbled your way here, too! I’ve been meaning to write a little dry brushing guide to answer these types of questions, but it doesn’t look like I’ll have time to get around to it anytime soon. I did write a short post with general dry brushing instructions. Did you see this one already: http://www.celluliteinvestigation.com/2010/07/how-to-dry-brush-cellulite.html ???

It’s great that you have your kryptonite identified already. That’s half the battle. Now what do you have planned to conquer it? :)

denise says:
9/26/2012

I happened upon this website when searching to see if soaking in epsom salts will help get rid of cellulite. I am looking forward to try the dry brushing and coconut oil. What is a good detox diet. I eat pretty healthy (most of the time), but cheat a little-life is short….I exercise at least six days a week. I have had cellulite all my life, but it seems to have gotten worse with age. I would love to be able to get rid of it! I would love to feel confident in shorts and dresses… :)

Hey! I’m still working on figuring this one out, too. Most of the diet philosophies that resonate with me tend to involve traditional foods. If you’re into reading books about diet, Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon is a good one. She has some recipes in the back of the book that are great for short detox sessions. I’m in the middle of reading The Body Ecology Diet. It’s really good. Very similar to The GAPS diet which is another one we uncovered during the course of the investigation. I hope this helps, Denise!

Liz says:
8/25/2013

Hey! I have a question. I’ve been a fan of your website for awhile now, I’ve been dry-brushing religiously for over a month and I’ve been eating a pretty healthy diet but I don’t see any results. I wonder if I’m having too much sugar–I haven’t eaten cane sugar in over ten years–but I do have honey, coconut palm sugar, maple syrup, stevia, etc. I wonder why so many women say that sugar is their kryptonite and when they say they eliminate it, do they mean only cane sugar or ALL sugar? I’m getting very discouraged and wondered if you had any advice. Thank you for your time.