Cellulite Success Stories: Dry Brushing, Exercise, and Coconut Oil

For those of you who aren’t familiar with the Paleo Diet, Mark’s Daily Apple is the primary blog source for info and inspiration related to the paleo movement.  It’s also one of the most popular blogs I know of, which is why I was so excited when last week, The Cellulite Investigation was featured on the site!

Mark’s wife, Carrie, recently started responding to reader’s questions related to womens issues, so of course the subject of cellulite was bound to come up.  She did a great job of explaining what cellulite is (“the pitted appearance of fat deposits in the body”) and the various contributing factors (hormones, changes in weight, toxic buildup, etc).

She did rely on the genetic argument to explain why thin women have cellulite, but overall the article was right on target.  Check out her summary of how to treat cellulite:

You can enhance the health of your connective tissue and skin’s collagen through regular exercise, whole body movement like yoga and Tai Chi, avoiding sugar, and by incorporating relevant nutrients into your diet like EFAs (especially omega-3s), clean saturated fats, and glucosamine. (Sounds suspiciously Primal, doesn’t it?) Consider it a good excuse to make some healthy homemade broth on a regular basis.

She even throws in an endorsement for CI!

I’d recommend checking out the Cellulite Investigation website for more Primally-compatible tips.

Cellulite Success Story #1: Hiking

The reader comments at the end of the article are worth reading, too  —especially because they include two cellulite success stories from real women, as opposed to the contrived testimonials we are accustomed to reading on sites that endorse conventional anti cellulite products.

Kirsch tells us that her cellulite disappeared after a grueling hiking trek.  Here is her exact comment:

I know from experience that cellulite can be completely eliminated. I have had cellulite all my life but after a 4 week trek to Everest, I came back 15 pounds lighter, super energetic and without ANY cellulite. But it will return if one goes back to old ways and a sedentary lifestyle.

It came down to a lot of exhausting mountain hiking, drinking a lot of water to keep hydrated (especially important at altitude) and eating a non-Western diet.

Cellulite will disappear completely but it takes a lot of physical effort, daily activity level, proper diet and lots of water.

My advice to women is put on your hiking boots and head for the hills on a regular basis and drink lots of water. Forget all the gimmicks out there in the marketplace.

I’m not saying we should all head for Mount Everest, but it is worth noting that Kirsch’s experience fits with our current theory that cellulite can be eliminated through increased movement and eating a non-industrialized diet.

Cellulite Success Story #2: Dry Skin Brushing, Coconut Oil, and Saturated Fat

Katie from the Wellness Mama blog lost her cellulite by dry brushing, moisturizing with coconut oil, and adding more fats to her diet.

I had a lot of luck with dry brushing also. I started it several months ago, and between that, using coconut oil for moisturizer and upping my good fat intake, cellulite is virtually gone (and I’m not at my lowest body fat either, since I’m 8 months pregnant!).  I also love the soft skin too! Between that and my new ability to tan thanks to eating healthy, I finally like my skin for the first time ever!

Our list of real life cellulite success stories seems to be growing longer each week now.  Are you inspired by these latest accounts?  If anything, they tell us that it is possible to get rid of cellulite.

*This post is part of Real Food Wednesday hosted by Kelly the Kitchen Kop and Works for Me Wednesday hosted at We Are THAT Family.

Les Demoiselles d'Avignon by Pablo PicassoJoin the Cause

Start healing your cellulite right now by visiting our Cellulite Treatments page.  Please come back and let us know how it’s going along the way!

Or to make the most of your time and effort, why not first take a few minutes to get smart on cellulite theory by reading Cellulite 101?

*Signup to receive email when we announce a breakthrough in the case.

Comments

claire says:
3/12/2011

i just did the oil skin scraping for the first time in the bath and i have never dry brushed either. would you suggest doing both of these? in a particular order? or start with one method and move on to the other?

also, when in the bath i had random tingling sensations in different areas of my body, is this normal? possibly a sign of toxin release?

thanks
claire

Great question, Claire. I normally start with the dry brushing. Then I do a brief full-body oil massage before hopping in the bath. After 10-15 minutes, I’ll start the oil skin scraping.

Very interesting about the tingling you noticed. Perhaps it is caused by the increase in circulation? I’m curious to know if it continues the more baths you take, or if it’s a type of detox reaction like you mentioned –similar to the rash some of us noticed after first starting dry brushing.

I’m thinking about putting together a short downloadable e-guide about dry brushing and oil scraping, etc. Is that something you think would be useful to people? Thanks for the feedback, Claire!

claire says:
3/12/2011

melissa: thanks for the helpful (and superbly speedy) response! i’ll let you know if this tingling thing continues. i have had terrible circulation (as does my mother) my whole life and this very well could be linked to changing that, or at least i hope so. i’m going to try and keep up with the habit (after spring break since i am gone from my home and a bathtub for a week) and see where it takes me. and i would totally be in for an e-guide as i have already been ‘googling’ for one! take care.

Thanks for the feedback, Claire. I’ll put that e-book on my list of projects to tackle. Have fun on spring break!

Diana says:
5/10/2011

after reading here I felt inspired! I just did the oil scraping and oh my goodness – I feel amazing! I always feel good after a nice bath, but this was different. My whole body feels alive and fresh!

I also noticed a pronounced amount of oil buildup that was removed in the areas where I tend to have most of my cellulite. I am currently working on loosing weight so this is just another found step in the joyful journey!

BTW: the Pampered chef’s pan scrapers work well as an inexpensive scraper. 😉 Thank you for sharing!

Oh my goodness, Diana, what a great idea! Thanks! I’ve been searching for something to recommend to people to use for oil bathing. Of course, the pan scrapers would be perfect for that. Brilliant lady!

Isn’t oil bathing incredible? I noticed the same thing about my cellulite-y areas. I sometimes get small red dots on those areas after oil bathing too, but I wonder if that is because I focus on them more and possibly apply more pressure. In the gua sha tradition, those marks are supposed to indicate toxins being released from the body. It’s possible… this is the same area I developed a rash when I first started dry skin brushing.

Thanks for reporting back about your thoughts on oil bathing. I haven’t found much info at all about this ancient practice so I’m always excited to hear from someone who loves it as much as I do. I don’t know why it’s not talked about more!

Erin says:
6/17/2011

these success stories are encouraging. I found your site a few weeks ago and it inspired me to start dry brushing. I’ve been doing it every day for close to a month now – but feel like the appearance of my cellulite has gotten worse :( Have you heard of cases where it gets worse before it gets better? It’s frustrating because after moving to a warmer climate, I really wanted to see an improvement for summer so I could wear shorts, skirts etc without being so self conscious. It’s too hot to be worried about how my legs look!

I just started the coconut oil moisturizing too, maybe that will help. And I’m pretty sure sugar is my “kryptonite” so I’ve been working to reduce it – this will be the hardest step for me!

Addressing the kryptonite issue is definitely key. Dry brushing will help the healing process along, but it won’t do much if your body is still dealing with the source of your cellulite. I saw such dramatic results with dry brushing when I first started because I was living in Scotland where they don’t fluoidate their water. I didn’t know fluoride was the cause of my cellulite at the time, but that didn’t matter.

bee says:
12/3/2012

I have lived in a non-fluoridated area for over 5 years and my cellulite is the worst is has been in years. Fluoride binds to calcium not fat, so it wouldn’t effect the appearance at all. I found exercise (listed above) has helped the most, as well as deep tissue massage, it hurts a lot, even leaves bruises sometimes. It helps break up really hard fatty deposits so exercise can eliminate the excess fat easier.

Thanks for your comment, bee. As for fluoride causing cellulite, it’s not so much that it binds with fat. I believe fluoride consumption can lead to cellulite because it ends up blocking the lymphatic circulation around the fat cells.

Erica says:
6/17/2011

Regarding exercise, I think we should just exercise like our ancestors did. They didn’t even have an exercise routine. They just moved quite a bit through walking, biking, gardening etc. In truth, I doubt 30 minutes of exercise a day can make up for 8 hours of sitting at a desk job.

I agree! Movement feel wonderful, but treadmills are evil. :)

Nice and congrats on your link feature :) I am proof that skinny woman can have cellulite…I am the smallest I have ever been in my life and still have a few patches but most is gone! I dry brush, spin and hot yoga/ yoga, added lots of healthy fats and CO. My reports are great and almost gone!

This is great news, Natasha!! Please do keep us updated. I can’t wait to add you to our list of cellulite success stories!

Nicola says:
7/3/2011

Hi there. I just stumbled on your great website while researching dry body brushing. I started dry body brushing about x3 months ago. I’ve definitely noticed an improvement in the texture of my skin and my cellulite has also reduced (I think that cutting alcohol from my diet may also be a contributing factor). My only concern is also with the extremely uncomfortable tingling / itching sensation about x5 minutes afterwards. Is this a result of increased circulation? And us there anything u can do to lessen it? It takes about 15 mid to subside and then it’s fine. Thanks .

I’ve been getting that a lo recently too, Nicola. I actually just decided to get a new body brush thinking maybe that would help. You’re supposed to wash it about once a week and I haven’t been great with that.

If that doesn’t help, my next guess is that it’s caused by lymphatic congestion and should clear on its own as your lymphatic system heals. My lymphatic system is under a heavy burden with the fluoride detox I’ve been working on for the last few months, so I’m wondering if that is what is causing the extra tingling/itching for me (that’s exactly how I would describe it, too). I hope this response is helpful. I’ll give it extra thought and see if I can come up with something more.

leslie says:
7/6/2011

how do I find my kryptonite?

Wow, great question, Leslie! Mine was tricky to identify. I had no idea I was sensitive to fluoride until after I started researching cellulite. Sugar is a common culprit, so if you have a sweet tooth I would explore that angle. Gluten is another one that’s come up in our investigation. Turns out a lot of women are sensitive to gluten and don’t know it. I write more about how to identify your kryptonite on this post: How To Get Rid of Cellulite. I hope that helps!

Ulibka says:
8/4/2011

Hello ladies!

I just wanted to share my progress so far with coconut oil and dry brushing. I’ve been doing it about a week and I can’t say my orange peel is looking better yet, but my skin does seem firmer and smoother all around. I try to dry brush my entire body most days, but make sure I do my thighs and butt everyday, for at least 5 minutes. They I massage coconut oil onto my thighs and butt. In addition I have been putting a tablespoon in my tea everyday. I love the smell of it, and it’s incredible how much it suppresses my hunger. I plan to continue my routine! I recommend it! Good luck everyone!

Thanks for sharing, Ulibka! Dry brushing, massage, and coconut oil are all excellent places to start with an anti cellulite treatment. Don’t forget to try to identify your kryptonite, though. That is key. Please keep us posted. Good luck!

beatriz says:
8/9/2011

Hi Melissa…

I’m still confused about the oil scraping procedure….do you scrap the oil while still in the bath? or after? also, is there a way of doing this in a shower….the reason being, I’m going on a 2 month trip in our RV and we have a shower only, no bath…Thanks

ps…Great Blog….I’ve had cellulite all my life (even when I was quite young and lean, just that spot at the outer thigh) and so far NOTHING has totally eliminated…the oil scraping is something I never heard of, so I’m willing to give it try!

I scrape the oil while I’m still in the bath. It probably works in the shower, too (I use the scraper to exfoliate my face even without any oil and it does a fantastic job). You might have to hang out in the shower for a few minutes beforehand to let the steam soften your skin. Let us know how it goes!

Baby says:
4/27/2012

Such a very informative site. Thank you for your time and effort to share all these.

I have a question though, in regards with scraping oil in the tub. Will the tub not eventually clog because of the oil? Do we have to do the dry brushing, massage then oil scraping everyday? And lastly, what do you do next after oil scraping? I always use a lotion after shower/bath. I use the Vaseline cocoa butter. Or is it too much?

Hi, baby. You’re not the first to ask that question about the oil. In my experience, it’s not a problem. Since oil and water don’t mix well, most of the oil seems to stay on my skin. When I scrape it off, I wipe the excess on a washcloth so very little goes down the drain. I can’t guarantee your experience will be the same, though. Please tell me if you run into any problems so we can inform others, though!

You don’t have to do any of these treatments every day. You can dry brush and massage daily, but don’t stress out about it if it’s too much of a time commitment. The oil bath I try to do once a week if possible. Afterwards, you can rub in a nice moisturizer but you don’t have to since your skin will already be nice and soft from the oil bath. I stick to natural oils like coconut oil, almond or jojoba. The Vaseline products contain a lot of questionable ingredients that can do more harm than good. Coconut oil is my favorite because you can cook with it, too!

liz says:
8/14/2011

Hi, I just discovered the oil scrapping and I want to give this a try and sounds like fun and beneficial. How long do you leave the oil on skin before you start to scrap it off? and when you mean in the bath you mean you lay on the tub with hot water? I will do the steam for sure but I”m confused on the “hot tub” wouldn’t the water remove the oil ? :( thank you and looking forward to your response.

I rub the oil into my skin just before I get in the bath tub. Then I’ll soak for 10 or 15 minutes before scraping it off (while I’m still in the tub). Most of the oil remains on the skin even though it’s submerged in water. I’m curious to hear what you think! Let me know if you have any further questions, Liz.

Jillian says:
12/7/2011

Hi, I have a few questions on…well, everything! I’m interested in the bellabacci cups, lymphatic drainage massages (self or otherwise), derma rollers, & many of the other anti-cellulite answers you’ve come up with. What would you say the best/most effective routine is? Can you do massages & oil scraping at night & will it still be just as effective as it would be during the morning? Can you dry brush more than once? Sorry for so many questions!

Great questions, Jillian! I like doing the oil bathing once a week or so. That seems like a good routine for me for exfoliation. It’s great do to at night, too! It usually makes me really sleepy and I end up taking a nap afterward anyway. It’s very relaxing. Some experts recommend dry brushing twice a day. I’m lucky if I have time to do it once a day, but there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with twice a day, either. I would skip a day or two every now and then just to give your skin a chance to rest. They always recommend that in the books, although I can’t find any concrete reasons why. It does make sense that you don’t want the lymphatic system to become reliant on dry brushing for circulation, but I haven’t seen any hard evidence to back this up. Let me know if you have any more questions!!

Liesl says:
2/13/2012

I have been trying various techniques to get rid of my cellulite. I have hypothyroidism so I think the cause of it is hormonal in nature. For a whole month I rubbed olive oil with castor oil on my legs and that seems to be working since I feel itchy. I tried nivea’s product too though I get the feeling it would be hard to separate the techniques i am using so I don’t know if that is the one working or not. I drink plenty of whole organic milk and omega fatty acids. Recently however I started to notice a huge difference when I started talking conjugated linoliec acid and doing an enema regularly. My calves and thighs have really changed a lot…could it be a low carb higher fat diet along with simply rubbing oils on my legs be key? or is it all of them combined? I have trouble believing nivea’s product is what is doing it by itself. An enema may be key to detoxing more effectively (with lemon oil). If someone could do their own study on the effect of cla, high fat diet, and emema’s on cellulite it would be much appreciated!

Interesting observations, Liesl. Thanks for sharing! A diet that is heavy on fats and light on carbs does seems to be a key component of the elusive anti cellulite diet. Can I ask what kind of organic whole milk you are drinking? Is it fresh milk, pasteurized, or ultra pasteurized? I’m curious to know if that makes a difference.

One of our fellow cellulite investigators recently mentioned castor oil as a detox rub. Do you have a technique for using that or do you just rub it in with the olive oil and let it absorb?

I can see why enema’s can me effective, but they just don’t appeal to me!! I will test the high fat diet theory, though, if someone else wants to test the enema treatment. :)

liesl says:
2/15/2012

well the milk I drink is organic and it’s only homogenized. with the castor oil and olive oil rub sometimes i mixed in essential oils to the mix too I just massage deeply untill my skin can’t take in any more oil. I was very skeptical of doing enema’s at first but then when I actually did one it was very relaxing (with lemon oil of course) then I found I could sleep better after having done one.

That’s great that you have a source of fresh (aka unpasteurized) milk. I only drink it when I am in Florida and we have it delivered from a local farm. It tastes so satisfying and healthy!

I’m gonna try this castor oil massage. Still not sold on the enema. :)

5/3/2012

Hi Melissa,
Found your website by chance and it kept me whole day reading it! I am from Asia and is of small build but i have fat thighs :( so i’m really keen to try out the dry brushing and oil scraping :) I believe i can get rid of cellulite with a cheaper way! I wish to ask a few questions:

1) Where can i buy the brush? can i buy from Body Shop? or in any of the departmental stores?

2) How long should we dry brush our body everytime? When u say dry brush, u really don’t apply anything beforehand and just brush like that? Just wondering if it will hurt the skin…

3) For oil scrapping, what kind of oil should we apply? is it the coconut oil? where can we buy the oil?

4) When u say coconut oil for cellulite diet, is it for cooking? how many types of coconut oil are there? for cooking and for body?

5) As I’m living in Asia country where bath tub is not common, shower should be ok? it wont wash away the oil?

6) And how long should be the oil scrapping be? after scrapping, can i bath normally i.e. using body shampoo, etc?

7) As I have cellulite only at the thighs and butt, is it okay just to dry brush and oil scrap for these area only rather than the whole body?

Sorry for too many questions! i’m so desperate to get rid of the ugly sight of my thighs! I read one of your comments somewhere that you’ll be providing a guide where it can be downloaded and printed, is it available now? hehe… thank you very much!

Hi, Faye. Thanks for your comment and questions! It’s always nice hearing from people from other countries. I am reading a book right now about the beauty rituals of Malaysia. It’s fascinating!

1) Yes, you can buy a decent body brush at Body Shop or any health store. They are not expensive.

2) Dry brushing only takes a few minutes, 5-10 is a good amount. The skin might be more sensitive in the beginning so be gentle until you figure out what pressure works best for you. You want it to feel nice and to bring the blood to the surface without causing any discomfort or lasting marks. Your skin will get used to the brushing and eventually you’ll be able to increase the firmness. And yes, you brush with the skin completely dry. It’s quite invigorating!

3) You can use any type of traditional oil for oil scraping. I like coconut oil, but I use other kinds too: almond, jojoba, even mustard oil (it smells!). Whatever local oils you have available should work well. Just avoid the vegetable oils that are highly processed.

4) I use the same type of coconut oil for cooking and for my body. I buy it in a big container and it lasts a long time. Look for organic extra virgin coconut oil. Here’s the one I use: http://www.vitacost.com/nutiva-certified-organic-extra-virgin-coconut-oil-54-fl-oz

5) I don’t know if the shower would have the same effect as a bath for oil scraping. You have to give the skin a chance to soften before scraping it off. Perhaps if you turned the shower into a steamroom of sorts? On the other hand, I do scrape the skin on my face in the shower and it works well. I don’t even apply oil for that. You could give the shower option a try and see how you like it…

6) The scraping only takes a few minutes. No need to use soap or cleansers afterwards. Your skin will be really clear from the oil scraping.

7) You can focus on problem areas, but you would probably get more benefit from a whole body approach. The lymph system parallels the blood circulatory system throughout the body. If you jump start the lymph flow in one area, it will benefit the entire system.

I’m afraid I have not gotten around to writing that guide yet. There is so much cellulite investigating to do and so little time! Someday soon, I hope. Thanks for your interest!

5/4/2012

Dear Melissa,

Thanks for your prompt response :) I shall source for all the necessary tools this weekend and kickstart my anti-cellulite journey soon! feel so excited! will surely feedback on the results…

And also, if i were to adopt the diet approach too, will it works if i only take cheese, yogurt and coconut oil more regularly while maintaining my normal meals (in Asia, rice is essential! and i cannot live without rice and bread..heheh 😛 )?

If you have new findings about the beauty rituals in Malaysia, do share with us :) I’m a Malaysian living in Singapore. hehe..

Thanks heaps!

Yay, Faye! I’m glad you’re excited! I get pretty excited about my cellulite investigating adventures, too. There is something thrilling about returning to health and exploring natural remedies in the process.

About the diet, any steps you can make in the right direction are a big accomplishment. Don’t feel like you have to make radical changes all at once. As you start adding healthy fats into your diet, you might notice that you aren’t as hungry for other foods. Cheese, full-fat yogurt, coconut oil, etc are very filling foods.

If I lived in Asia, I would not give up on rice, either! You might want to cut back on bread though. Many women report being sensitive to gluten and did not realize it until they went without for a while.

What a coincidence that you are Malaysian!! I am falling in love with Malaysia while reading this book. I could ask you so many questions, but I’ll try to limit it to just a few. Is it still common in Malaysia for women to use herbs and natural products for taking care of their hair and skin? Do a lot of women use the herbal steam baths? Is it really common for women and babies to get frequent massages after childbirth? I’d love to hear about any Malaysian beauty rituals you know of. Thanks!!

5/6/2012

Hi Melissa, thanks for the advice :) I’m relieved because i don’t have to give up rice :p but will try to cut down bread though as i eat bread for breakfast every morning :(

Tho i have limited knowledge, I hope I can be of help! in the past Malaysian do use herbs & natural products to take care of the skin & hair. As Malaysia consists of 3 or more different ethnics (natives, Malay, Chinese, Indian), each race has its own unique ways/remedies to treat skins. Like Indians, generally they are still using coconut oil for skin and hair. For Chinese, bird nest is one of the favourites as it’s rich in collagen. But as globalization takes place, most women nowadays are using skin care products that are very popular now in the market, the common ones like SKII, Lancome, Clarines, etc 😀

It’s not that common for women to use herbal steam bath (DIY), but it’s a trend that modern women go into spa and massage from commercial spa/massage parlour :) And it’s a Malay tradition for women to get massage after childbirth (originated from Javanese massage) which is said to help get the womb “back into place” and also to trim down the tummy :)

I hope the above helps in some ways 😀

Thanks, Faye!! It’s really interesting to get a real world perspective on this. I just read the chapters in the book about different beauty practices from the various ethnic groups. It’s sad that the big-name beauty brands are displacing the natural products they traditionally used. I suppose it makes things easier, but what a shame! Glad to hear they haven’t given up on the massages, though. We need to import that custom to the United States!

Good luck finding a nutritious upgrade for your breakfast! Keep us updated the cellulite situation. If you run into any issues or have any thoughts/observations/concerns to share, there’s always a group of us chatting in the Cellulite Investigation discussion forum.

swiftfox82 says:
5/8/2012

Well it’s too bad that modern beauty products have tons of crap in them. In fact most of them a pretty toxic! Some say that the old ways are the best ways… and in the case of skin care they are so right! So I have been using raw honey to clean my face since I it is a natural antiseptic that I hear the ancient Egyptians used as well.

So true! I was afraid to use practically any products at all, but then I read The Truth About Beauty by Kat James. She helped me realize there are companies out there who are diligent about creating pure, healing beauty products–you just have to know where to look for them! I still like to use foods and other natural products in my daily routine (honey is a great one), but it’s nice to have the option to buy something pre-made and lovely sometimes, too! Kat’s book has a huge resource guide for rooting out quality beauty products (I wrote about some of them here). It’s definitely worth a read.

tanya says:
5/12/2012

Just recently started dry brushing and am now trying the oil scraping technique, both I love btw. After I started the dry brush procedures, I developed and itchy rash on my upper outer thighs, (bilaterally) where my cellulite is most concentrated. The strange thing is it doesn’t itch all the time, its very random. I was thinking that my body was releasing toxins to the outer layers of my skin. A couple of suggestions: About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with lyme disease and was put on several long courses of antibiotics, after which my weight went up and ever since I have been having trouble losing weight. I think perhaps the weight gain was due to an overgrowth of yeast, due to loss of the good bacteria. I recently started taking probiotics, to hopefully restored the balance. I also noticed that the itchy rash seemed to resemble a thrush or fungal infection and since I started the probiotics the itchiness seems better. And my other suggestion: I found that that tounge scraper/cleaner works very well for the oil bathing. Thanks for the site.

Hi, Tanya. So glad you like the oil bathing technique! That’s nice to hear. Fantastic idea to use a tongue scraper for that! I have two, one is plastic and the other is a metal U shape. What kind do you use for the oil bathing?

I developed an itchy rash like that when I first started brushing, too. It makes sense that the body is releasing toxins trapped underneath the skin. Yeast overgrowth is so common these days. I’ve heard from several women who saw their cellulite improve or even disappear altogether on an anti-candida diet. Yeast (and the sugar that feeds it!) is one of the major culprits in our investigation so far. Thanks for adding to the case!

5/14/2012

Hi Melissa,

It’s me again 😀 I decided to try oil scraping as a start as I haven’t found a suitable body brush here. It’s so difficult to find a decent brush here in Singapore as well as the natural oil (i.e jojoba, almond) and scraper. Really took me a while searching for these stuffs. At last I bought a bottle of jojoba oil and a scraper made by bull horn, which chinese ‘sing seh’ (or doctors) used for gua sha. the Chinese salesperson told me the bull horn material is best for detoxification. so i think it would be a good tools for oil scraping :) so i’ll try it tonite and feed back my findings! (fingers crossed that there’s ‘findings’ even for the first time!)

but i still have some doubts on oil scraping: is it okay to do it without dry brushing first? Do u oil scrap the whole body from head to toe, front to back? hehe.. And also, when scraping off the oil, do I need to follow the lymphatic flow like how we dry brush our body? or just simply scrap in any direction, for example at thigh, upward or downward.

Thank you once again!

5/15/2012

I have used a loofa and a loofa mitt for the dry brushing as well. Maybe you can get one of those items?

Yes, I wanted to try one of those! I have a generic loofah that doesn’t seem to do much, but I’ve been wanting to try a quality loofah mitt for dry brushing. Thanks for reminding me!

5/16/2012

Thanks for your suggestion! I have bought a “Earth Therapeutics Purest Palm body brush” online via iHerb =) meantime i will do oil scraping alone and see how it goes!

I think I started with that brush too, Faye! Glad you found one. I hope you like it. :)

A bull horn, how interesting! Please let us know how it works for you!

I’m surprised you had a hard time finding a body oil to use. What kind of oils are common there in Singapore? Do they have coconut oil? That one would work great.

Yes, you can dry brush first and then do the oil treatment. I try to use the scraper over as many areas as I can comfortably reach. It’s tricky to do the back, but that’s the area I enjoy the most. Feels like a wonderful back scratch! Try to follow the lymphatic flow if you can.

5/16/2012

Strictly speaking it’s difficult to find NATURAL products in Singapore 😛 all we have are SKII, Clarins, Elizabeth Arden, Lancome, etc. hehehe.. Massage oil and body cream are more common here and these products contain only a portion of coconut/jojoba oil. I really had a hard time finding those pure coconut/jojoba/almond oil.

Wow, that is a shame. Don’t they have natural health food stores in Singapore? Or maybe a more traditional market of some sort?

5/16/2012

Melissa,

A bamboo back scratcher would make a PERFECT scraper for the back! Idk if you have any dollar trees (stores) where you are but they have them there!

Oh my goodness, you’re right! I’m going to try that!!

5/15/2012

Hi again, I’m using a plastic one, as that’s all I had. I’ve only done the oil bath a couple of times and honestly see a reduction in cellulite. I am so thrilled. Tonight I did dry brushing then the oil bath.

That’s great to hear, Tanya! Yay! This might come across as a strange questions, but when you do the oil bath, does the oil come off looking a lot different than it did going on? I often wonder if my skin is grosser than it should be because of all the detox I’m doing.

TAnya says:
5/15/2012

Not strange at all. I am using organic extra virgin coconut oil. I usually heat it up to melt it then apply..it’s nearly clear. When I scrape it off it’s a grayish color. Though around my ankles it was very dark…I have had problem with fluid build up there.

5/15/2012

I also started using the rolling pin! Mine gets used about once a year at Christmas and that’s it…now I actually have a good use for other than fattening pies and cookies!

5/16/2012

Rolling pin: I also have a child’s toy one which works great for the groin areA!

Very cool! I’ve been using a $400 gizmo a company sent me for 45 days to review for the investigation, and I’m thinking “this thing is just a really expensive rolling pin!”

Interesting. The oil is darker on my legs than the rest of my body. It’s always darkest on my feet but I assumed that was because they are dirtier. That doesn’t quite make sense though because I always wear socks in the winter. While researching saunas, I read that feet are one of the sweatiest parts of the body. They have over 250,000 sweat glands in each! Perhaps that’s one of the reasons why feet play a special role in the approach to detox in Traditional Chinese Medicine.

I use the scraper on my face without any oil at all. The natural oils seem to be enough to make it work.

ps–I never bother heating up coconut oil when I use it as a moisturizer. I’ll just grab a small amount and rub it into my skin. It heats up and dissolves rather quickly. Just thought I would mention it in case you are looking to save some time.

5/17/2012

I have put coconut oil on my face. I like how soft it feels :)

Also question: In my first post I mentioned and itchy rash on both my upper thighs. I found this interesting, the rash on the right was never as bad as the left thigh; now the the right is very nearly cleared up. My cellulite has always been worse on the left side of my body. I wonder if there is a corrulation between the rash, its severity and length of time the rash was endured and the severity of the cellulite.

That does support the theory that dry brushing is detoxing whatever is causing the lymphatic congestion that leads to cellulite! I observed the same thing when I first started dry brushing. There really seems to be something to it!

5/19/2012

I finally did the oil scraping last week — in a shower. But there is not much effect to my skin. Will there be any red bumps or rashes appear at cellulite area after oil scraping? Or it will only happen after dry brushing? As I dun have a decent brush yet so I only did oil scraping :) or is it because I did it in a SHOWER but not hot bath? Hehe.

Actually what is supposed to happen after oil scraping ONLY?

5/19/2012

I have done the oil scraping in both the shower and the bath..with similar results. I have had the best luck using a plastic tougne scraper. For me the oil when scraped off is a grayish opaque color

Faye, I don’t get the same effect when I do the oil scraping in the shower. My skin doesn’t soften enough to come off with the oil. Perhaps if the shower was long and hot it would be different. It shouldn’t matter if you don’t dry brush beforehand. It’s recommended, but won’t make much of a difference with the exfoliation from oil bathing. Like Tanya mentioned, the oil is clear when I rub it on but a grayish shade when I scrape it off. My skin feels so free afterward, like it can finally breath!

5/19/2012

Yes when I did the scraping in the shower, it was a VERY long and hot.

5/20/2012

Thanks for the sharing and advice ladies! really appreciate it :) will try again next week and see how it goes!

Good luck, Faye!

5/20/2012

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced minor bruising with dry brushing and or scraping. Also wondering soon after I started dry brushing my muscles ached,not badly but like I had used muscles I “forgot” I had. And finally when I work out, since starting these procedures the work out feels like its doing more. If that makes sense?

Interesting observations, Tanya. I wonder if the dry brushing unleashed some lactic acid that gave your legs that achy post-workout feeling? I do notice that my legs feel more “efficient” when I’m consistent with the oil bathing. If you’re experiencing bruising, I would go lighter on the brushing/scraping. The lymphatic vessels just under the skin are only one cell thick, so brushing hard enough to cause bruising is less effective than a gentler sweeping motion.

5/21/2012

Just had to share! I have been dry brushing for about 3 weeks and have done 3 oil baths over the past week. Tonight I went to a local department store and tried on some summer clothing, including the dreaded bathing suit. One thing I have always noticed in dressing rooms…maybe because of the horrid lighting (florescent) my cellulite looked it worst. Tonight while not perfect, my cellulite was noticeably less :))) So so so happy I stumbled onto this site!! Yay!!

That is fantastic news, Tanya!!! YAY!! Can’t wait to add you to our growing list of cellulite success stories!

5/23/2012

Congrates Tanya! Just wondering, does reduction of cellulite means also losing some fat thus reduction of inches (around waiste, tummy, thighs) too? is there any slimming effect? 😛

I’m still confusing on oil bathing, how many strokes u scrap at one spot? i read it somewhere in oil scraping treatment saying: “always scrape the skin in the same direction and continue until the skin is red and purple marks appear…” Reference:

And I also read it somehwere here in CI, for tummy area it is supposed to scrap in circular motion (clock wise)?

=)

The link you sent is for gua sha, a scraping therapy in Traditional Chinese Medicine. The technique we’re using is not as aggressive. It’s based on the bathing practices of ancient Greece and Rome, where people used an instrument called a strigil to gently remove oil from the skin. It shouldn’t result in any red or purple marks. It’s more of an exfoliation technique. There’s no set number of times you’re supposed to scrape each area, just enough to remove the oil and any other debris that accumulates.

For the stomach, some dry brushing sources do say to brush in a clockwise pattern. I usually just scrape upward with the oil bathing.

5/26/2012

Faye I am not sure about if there will be a loss of inches with the reduction of cellulite…Melissa probably knows better than me. What I did notice in my case was a reduction in the dimpling of my thighs. Which makes me extremely happy. I also try and work out regularly as well. Also I did a dry brushing just prior to my going to the gym..to increase circulation, in hopes of having a more effective workout. I do some cardio, but mostly strength training. I am 5 foot 3.5 inches and I weigh over 150..but I don’t like scales. The weight gain is due to muscle gain and muscle is heavier than fat. Good Luck Faye. Keep us posted with your progress.

You’re right, Tanya. There doesn’t seem to be a direct correlation between fat loss and cellulite reduction. Some cellulite studies show that cellulite actually increases with weight loss. There are a lot of different factors involved.

5/31/2012

Just want to share. Early last week I decided to stop using my traditional moisturizers. I always had trouble with dry scaly legs, especially my calves. Regular moisturizer helped but it always seemed like the more I put on more dry they were. I started using just a small amount of virgin coconut oil, before bed and after my shower. Wow what a difference! Silky smooth skin! I also think the daily application of coconut oil may be helping matters along with my cellulite! I always bruised easily in areas with cellulite and they took longer to fade. I had a particularly dark bruise on my thigh (I have an active job) with the regular skin brushing (to increase circulation ) and
application of coconut oil it faded in a few days, rather than a few weeks. I hope my personal observations are helping you with your investigation and help other women with their own cellulite investigation.

That’s great news, Tanya! What kind of moisturizer were you using before? I wonder if it contained mineral oil.

So glad to hear the coconut oil and body brushing are helping to improve the health of your legs! Thanks for the update, and please keep us posted!

6/1/2012

No I was always careful to avoid mineral oil based products. I was using Hemp brand moisturizers. But the coconut oil seems to absorb further into my skin, rather than the first layer or so.

I love experimenting with different oils. Isn’t it fun? I don’t understand all the chemical differences between them, but I assume they each have specific nutrients so I like to switch it up from time to time. Other trusty favorites I like besides coconut oil are jojoba, almond, avocado, and shea butter.

6/3/2012

Where do you find the other oils you mentioned? I went with organic virgin coconut oil because I could find it the grocery store 😉 Is vigin olive oil ok to use?

Also wanted to share this: I did an oil bath yesterday and was surprised when I scraped the oil off that it was lighter than it had been in previous bathings. I though maybe it had something to with my using coconut oil as a moisturizer? I thought perhaps maybe the oil was combining with my fat soluble waste on my skin, aiding the body from getting rid of it? Your opinion?

Yep, olive oil is a great one!

I noticed the oil is different colors sometimes for me, too. A lot of it has to do with how long it’s been since my last oil bath. The oil from my feet is always darkest. I’m not sure if it’s because they are the dirtiest or because they sweat the most. The feet have a lot of sweat glands and are a traditional detox point for the skin (that’s why they have all those foot detox patches).

6/4/2012

Yay! have dry-brushed for the 2nd day :) so far no significant change to my cellulite yet. but redness appeared in part of my skin when i dry brushed them, not the red bumps or rashes… i felt good anyway, not painful at all…

But i’m still unsure whether i did it correctly… I started in this sequence:
1) upper body
– upper back
– lower back
– hands
– chest (upper breash and lower breast)
– abdomen

2) lower body
– butt
– groin
– entire legs (from calves to thigh)

Any advice on the steps i did? is there anything i need to improve? when we brush our legs, are we going to start from the lower legs and all the way up to butt or have dry brush separately for lower legs and thighs? hehe…

6/4/2012

Hi Faye,

I start at my feet and work towards my heart. For the areas above my heart, i brush downwards toward my heart. On my left arm, (the backside) I had a swelling there that looked perpetually slightly bruised, when I massaged the area, it was somewhat painful. Since I started brushing and oil bathing it is nearly gone! I think my lymph system was congested. Remember that everyone’s body has different responses to the brushing, I developed a rash. You may not, I work with cleaning chemicals every day, which may have been the irritant in my case. I am fortunate that it is working quickly for me, for some reason I have always “bounced back” from ailments much more quickly than average people. When I had my 4th child, (the only one born via c section) hospital staff was amazed at my progress, as I was up and walking around without much pain only a day after. Don’t be disheartened if it doesn’t work as quickly for you, keep it up and keep us posted on your progress :)

Great to hear it’s working for you, Tanya!! The arms are a common site for lymphatic blockage because of all the lymph nodes in the arm pit. In fact, one of my family members recently mentioned some swelling in that same spot. I should recommend dry brushing!!

Here’s my general method, Faye.

1) upper body
lower back

2)lower body
groin
butt
upper leg
lower leg

Again, I wouldn’t worry too much about doing it “wrong.” It’s a gentle, simple practice so as long as it’s feeling good, you’re probably doing it right! I can understand wanting to get the most our of your brushing time, though. Some day I will get to that dry brushing guide!

6/13/2012

Yes please do publish that guide! Thank you!

6/13/2012

Thanks for the advice, ladies! I’m in 2nd week of dry brushing and this morning I noticed itchy rashes in different parts of my body! I’m so happy coz it means that dry brushing really works for my body rite? hehehe.. never been so happy to find red bumps on my skin 😛

FYI, I developed rashed near my armpit (above breast), at the tummy, groin area. but not the thigh area. weird, as this is the area which i have most cellulite in.

Havent noticed any reduction in the cellulite yet. Hope to see a better result as i continue to dry-brush :)

oh yeah, do u dry-brush the armpit?

Perhaps your legs didn’t react as quickly because of poor circulation. I wouldn’t be surprised if you developed a rash there later on. I sometimes get small red bumps on my legs when I try a new detox technique (cupping, the HoneyBelle). It’s sign my legs are still going through the detox process (as if the cellulite didn’t make that clear enough!).

Dr. Berkowsky recommends dry brushing the armpit region. He starts in that area since it’s an important drainage site.

6/13/2012

Yay! So happy for you.yep I saw my rash develop at area of my worst cellulite …upper legs. Mine lasted about 2 weeks. I put some oatmeal on it to soothe the itch, as I didn’t want to put a chemical on it as I figured it was there because it was something toxic/irritant trapped. Idk if oatmeal was the best or not…just thought it was better go natural rather than some concocted cream.

TanyA says:
6/13/2012

I don’t know if I’m supposed to or not but I do brush my underarms. I have noticed since I started dry brushing that if I do sweat, (from my underarms) it doesn’t smell like it used to. Also I have stopped using traditional antiperspirants, ladened with Aluminum. I figure since the skin is our third kidney, to let it do it’s job. I do use cornstarch and baking soda

Oatmeal sounds like a fantastic option to me! Susan Weed devotes a whole chapter to oats in her book about herbal remedies, Healing Wise.

c says:
6/13/2012

I just found your blob tonight and love it. I’ve been dry brushing recently as part of a diet detox program and didn’t realize one of he benefits of dry brushing was cellulite removal. I’ve had lifelong problems with it even when I was young and very slim. It is better in he last few months because I took alcohol, sugar, diet soda, and gluten out of my diet. I didn’t know I was gluten sensitive unless I detoxed for 21 days on veggie juice and then started re-introdcuing foods.
I’m anxious to try the oil scraping..will start tomorrow. The main reason I changed my diet is because i was having horrible swollen eye lids with a red rash that peeled and burned. No doctor could help me and keep giving my predisone which only led to digestive problems. I’ve been doing a lot of research too and discovered there are so many natural cures out there. I’ve lost 33 pounds as the result of my change in diet . I got a rebounder this week an just started jumping to help my lymphatic system…LUV..Luv ..Luv your investigation!

Welcome, c!!! So glad you found us! Congrats on all the amazing health changes you’ve already made! Did you happen to try the oil scraping technique? I’m always curious to hear what other people think of it since there’s not a lot of information out there about it. Did all the changes you’ve made help heal the original problem you were having with your eye lids? It’s incredible the way the systems of the body are interconnected.

Happy bouncing. :)

6/14/2012

Melissa,
I tried something last night in my own investigation last night. I brushed the opposite way, I also raised my legs above my heart. On my right leg (upper, back of) I had a bulge; lymph congestion? Today it was diminished, significantly. I’m 42 years old and always dreaded short weather, always wore long shorts to hide my cellulite. This year I am wearing mid thigh shorts!! My 20 year daughter even commented on my legs, that they looked healthy. Actually considering wearing a Bikini (without shorts) to our annual trip to Noah’s Ark in Wi Dells. Thank you for publishing this AWESOME site !

Wonderful to hear!! Interesting to read about your experience brushing in the opposite direction. A bit of a rebel, are you? 😉

I was wondering how that would work. I just finished a book about beauty rituals in Malaysia, where massage is very popular. They emphasize the importance of working toward the heart to achieve a calming effect, and away from the heart for a more energizing massage. I wonder if the lymphatic system works the same way?

April says:
6/19/2012

Hi! I’ve been dry brushing for about two now and noticed that my veins can be seen under my skin and are very purple. Is that normal?

Is that two weeks or two months? Either way, dr brushing is such a gentle treatment, it shouldn’t cause any damage. Is it possible the marks were there before and you didn’t notice them or that you’re brushing too hard? I’m not saying it couldn’t be the brushing though. Please keep an eye on it and let us know what you conclude.

April says:
6/20/2012

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t there before I did it because the veins are obvious and there’s a couple of them. Maybe I’m brushing too hard? :( do you have any suggestions on how I can get rid of the veins? I noticed the difference though of my skin when I started dry brushing. My cellulite is diminishing! How much pressure exactly do I have to dry brush?

For dry brushing it’s good if the skin turns a light pink color but if it turns red or leaves a mark that last longer than a few minutes you could be brushing too hard.

Horse chestnut seed extract is supposed to be excellent for spider veins. When I tried it though, it made my blood too thin and I ended up with a lot of random bruises on my legs. Just something to look out for if you decide to give it a try.

April says:
6/20/2012

So this is how I observe it. I dry brush and by the moment I’m done massaging my body with oil to get in the tub, there’s no redness. I’m guessing maybe because I have a very sensitive skin? So sensitive that I can’t even use a conditioner on my hair or I’m going to break out kinda thing.

I’m going to try what you’ve suggested. You’re so awesome and thank you for taking your time answering me. I will let you know the result. :)

6/27/2012

In my experiments with the oil scraping techniques, I first scrape with the water very hot, then I do cold water (tepid) rinse and scrape again. The cold water solidifies the oil and the waste, I think I get more crud off. Also I noticed yesterday when scraping that the oil came off quite clear in my underarm region (had been quite dark in previous scrapings). I think my lymph congestion is virtually gone there. I had also mentioned before that I quit using traditional anti perspirants which may be a factor. The oil still was quite dark on my lower extremities, perhaps because legs have the most circulatory issues..maybe? I also started to use a vacuum (simple houshold vacuum hose) for massage purposes, it does a fantastic job of increasing circulation.

Wow! The vaccuum doesn’t cause any bruising? I would think that it would be difficult to control the amount of suction. I guess it’s possible. I’d be hesitant to recommend though. I could foresee running into some technical difficulties with that one of you have the wrong machine!

Great idea about the cool water and oil scraping. You’re right, that probably would increase the efficacy of the treatment. I’m gonna try it. The skin on my legs still comes off a greenish grey. My arms are the same way. I’ve been using my new exfoliating cloths after the sauna. It’s amazing how mucho skin still sheds even when I exfoliate a few times a week. I think my body is still on heavy detox mode.

6/27/2012

I forgot to mention that I purposely clogged the vacuum to lessen the suction. And no brusing. Also I have been dry brushing and oil scraping for about a month and I used to bruise fairly easily,last week I ran my leg into a large metal door weight. My first thought was “ugh that’s gonna be a nasty bruise”. Nothing except a small abrasion. So I think the cellulite treatments are making me healthier in many ways :)

That’s a fantastic sign! I noticed the same thing. What else could it mean except that the circulation is improving? How exciting! Have you tried the massage cups? I wonder how they compare to the vacuum.

6/29/2012

No I haven’t tried the massage cups. Do you know where to get a set?

Lisa says:
6/28/2012

Don’t know how I stumbled upon your site but I sure am glad I did! I’m going to try the dry brushing, but I’m not sure I understand the direction of brushing? I’m 5 foot and 119lb so my cellulite is mostly on my stomach and thighs. My kryptonite is SUGAR!

Help! I use coconut oil in my coffee and when i make breakfast….

Hi, Lisa. I’m glad you stumbled your way here, too! I’ve been meaning to write a little dry brushing guide to answer these types of questions, but it doesn’t look like I’ll have time to get around to it anytime soon. I did write a short post with general dry brushing instructions. Did you see this one already: http://www.celluliteinvestigation.com/2010/07/how-to-dry-brush-cellulite.html ???

It’s great that you have your kryptonite identified already. That’s half the battle. Now what do you have planned to conquer it? :)

taurus23 says:
7/12/2012

Hi,
I have been battling with cellulite for about a decade, and had spent alot of money getting treatments over the years, and now working really hard to get rid of it naturally!
In my experience, dry brushing really made your skin feel great, but takes quite some time for cellulite reduction. I have just started oil scrapping, have done it 3 days in a row. i have got quite a few small bruises over my legs but i think this is normal. My cellulite has actually got a little worse! BUT ive read that when doing treatments cellulite can appear worse at first, as it is brought up to the surface, kinda thing. So will keep at it!
ps, has anyone done body wraps? Im doing one right now as we speak!

Yes, I was using GUAM Body Mud for awhile. I wrote about it here: http://www.celluliteinvestigation.com/2011/12/iodine-cellulite-guam-seaweed-wrap.html What kind of body wrap are you using? I agree, the body brushing can take a long time to see results. I saw a major improvement in the first few weeks but everyone is different.

Rudy7 says:
7/24/2012

First of all, congratulations on the wonderful site! I got the most helpful and realistic tips and advises.
Now I’m 27, 172cm, 58kgs, an athletic built, I exercise, ride a bike, drink about 3l of water a day and my diet is lacto ovo vegetarian for about 14 years. And I still have a lot of cellulite on my legs!
After reading your review on the Chinese cupping massage I decided to try it out (since I’ve tried everything else).
So far so good, but my legs are all bruised up, I look like a dalmatian!
My question is:
-Should I stop the daily massage (or reduce it) or should I continue anyway?
Thank you so much of your time!
I’m recommending this site to all my friends!
Rudy Tod

Jamila says:
7/25/2012

Hii Melissa, I still haven’t got the hang on how the oil scraping works… but what can I use instead of using a proper skin brush… Since where I live not much body shops are and I don’t trust shopping on the Internet.

Thnx for your time hope u can reply soon !

Shara says:
7/25/2012

Hii melissa I’m only 15 and I’ve noticed cellulite is already coming out !!!
What can I do ?
I’ve tried all of these treatments but how much time do I stay brushing my legs ?
Sorry for all these questions thnx for your help
Lots of kisses
Thnx !!

Kelly says:
7/28/2012

Just looking at your site – great info! Was wondering if you’ve ever done liver cleansing? Think it’s going to be an integral part of my healing (along with cleaning out my lymph system & detoxing fluoride). Best, Kelly

9/3/2012

Has anyone tried Proskins Slim which claims it can effectively reduce the cellulite:

this stuff is quite popular recently in Singapore… not sure whether it works or not 😀

Anti-cellulite undergarments like these tend to pop up every few months but we’ve never received any positive feedback on them from what I can recall. That’s not a good sign! The ingredients seem weak and I can’t see them having a lasting effect. One of our fellow cellulite investigators reviewed a similar product called the iPant from Wacoal. She wasn’t impressed: http://www.celluliteinvestigation.com/2011/08/ipant-anti-cellulite-shapewear-review.html

9/5/2012

Hi Melissa, agree with you that the effects on cellulite might be just temporary and not good for long term :) still cannot be convinced enough that one can just reduce the cellulite by just wearing these undergarments without any other efforts 😀

I’m going to California this coming October, am wondering where can I buy the Merben International Medium Texture Sisal Body Brush and Le Edge (besides online). Are they common in the departmental stores or body shops in shopping malls?

Good question, Faye. Those products are more of an online thing which is why I feature them on the site. Le Edge is sold by QVC, our home shopping network, so I don’t think it’s available in stores. I could be wrong, but I’ve never seen it. There are a lot of body shops around that sell brushes. They might not have that particular brand, but if you go to a higher end body shop or spa they should have a nice option. How fun that you are coming to the States. Have fun!!

denise says:
9/26/2012

I happened upon this website when searching to see if soaking in epsom salts will help get rid of cellulite. I am looking forward to try the dry brushing and coconut oil. What is a good detox diet. I eat pretty healthy (most of the time), but cheat a little-life is short….I exercise at least six days a week. I have had cellulite all my life, but it seems to have gotten worse with age. I would love to be able to get rid of it! I would love to feel confident in shorts and dresses… :)

Hey! I’m still working on figuring this one out, too. Most of the diet philosophies that resonate with me tend to involve traditional foods. If you’re into reading books about diet, Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon is a good one. She has some recipes in the back of the book that are great for short detox sessions. I’m in the middle of reading The Body Ecology Diet. It’s really good. Very similar to The GAPS diet which is another one we uncovered during the course of the investigation. I hope this helps, Denise!

denise says:
10/2/2012

I was wondering—since most city water is flouridated and chlorninated is it wise to do the epsom salt, baking soda, and ginger soak? I am looking forward to trying the dry brushing though…I must say I am a little skeptical though….I have always heard that cellulite is forever…..I know I have battled with it just about all my life…:)

swiftfox82 says:
10/5/2012

keep at it! cellulite is not forever! I have had it since i was 13 and it is starting to go away!

denise says:
10/11/2012

So, what are you doing exactly? I am still skeptical….I try not to be, but have had this for years…tried different things….read articles that say it is forever….I would love to get rid of it..at least most of it…:) denise

Hi, Denise. I’m tackling cellulite from many different angles. Check out the latest blog posts to hear about my new six-month plan. I’m getting married in April and trying to get rid of the cellulite before our honeymoon in the Caribbean.

denise says:
10/21/2012

Where exactly do I find these blogs to learn about your six-month plan. I will definitely give it a try.THX Denise

denise says:
10/5/2012

what is exactly you are doing swiftfox82?

Liesl says:
10/6/2012

Hello! I love your site and I love me some fellow investigators.

Cellulite isn’t a problem under your skin. It’s a problem with the skin itself. The skin is thin and reveals the fatty layer beneath it more than thick skin.

A dermatologist burned my face with a laser and damaged my thyroid. My endocrine system went haywire and the stress caused extremely high cortisol for a long period of time. My skin suddenly thinned. I had always had thick skin and no visible cellulite. Now I have visible veins and visible cellulite.

Most of your suggestions are smart and they work because they thicken skin (dry brushing, scraping) or they support the lymphatic and endocrine systems (essential fatty acids, massage, yoga).

I suggest looking into dermarolling (needling) and Ayurvedic herbs to support endocrine health. Eat organic foods and be sure to get enough vitamin D from the sun or D3 in supplement form. Don’t forget your food-sourced vitamins and minerals. Estrogen dominance can be another factor in thin skin. Have your hormones checked and supplement with progesterone cream if need me. Estrogen dominance plays a significant roll in certain types of cancer so this is an especially important concern.

denise says:
10/11/2012

when using coffee grounds on the body wouldn’t it be best to use organic coffee to avoid the chemicals? Also, city water-is it good to do epsom salt, baking soda, and ginger soaks in it, since it has chlorine and flouride?

Hey, Denise. You are right about the city water. I am very sensitive to fluoride so I avoid it as much as possible. Fortunately our house does not have fluoride and I have a filter for the chlorine.

denise says:
10/21/2012

Thx for the suggestions-I will try and find organic coffee grounds. Where did you get your water fiLter for the chlorine? It has been two weeks with the epsom salt,baking soda baths and plus one week of dry brushing and no luck. I am very skeptical when it comes to getting rid of cellulite ( sorry..:() it is my opinion bcause I have dealt with it for years with no luck with the exercise and creams. I have just learned to accept it for the most part even though I secretly desire to get rid of it….and still try things. THX D :)

Oh, and yes. Organic coffee grounds are best if you can find them.

dh says:
11/4/2012

I just started cupping and have had some bruising with it? Is this normal? Should I keep doing it? I don’t want to have a bunch of bruises on me….thx dh

denise says:
10/24/2012

I have been dry brushing for about 2 weeks now and have been using coconut oil when I am finished bathing. At first I got a rash under my arms and on top of my legs. My problem is-the dry brushing has seemed to cause extreme itching—–to the point where I to laid off of it for a few days and have been applying a lotion I got from the health food store. Am I doing something wrong? Has anybody else experienced this? Need some good advice..Denise

swiftfox82 says:
10/25/2012

the itching is a good sign that it is working. it shouldn’t last too long though. try applying olive, castor, or coconut oil to soothe the itch if it gets out of hand

denise says:
10/25/2012

The dry brushing is making it itch and the coconut oil makes it even worse. I have laid off of both for a few days to get relief and hoping it takes care of it…the itching was horrible like little prickly needles sticking all over my body…it is not as bad now but I have been putting lotion on it that I bought at the health food store made with hemp. Denise

levi says:
11/2/2012

Melissa, that diagram of how to dry brush the buttocks was very helpful. Could you possibly put together some diagrams on the complete dry brushing sequence – of the whole body. Also, do you need to do the entire sequence if you only have cellulite on say the backs of ones thighs? Or do just target one area for the dry brushing (from what you wrote it seems like it is a total body thing). Note, I am completely befuddled by the description of beginning dry brushing from the groin(!?) What could that be?! Thanks again

dh says:
11/4/2012

Started cupping yesterday evening..(the 3rd of November,2012) it has caused some bruising…is this normal? Will it keep doing this or will my body get used to it? I am starting to have second thoughts on this method. Does anyone have any advice or input? I would appreciate since I am new to the game…dh

dh says:
11/5/2012

I have been using baby oil with my cupping because I don’t have any castor oil or other oil-olive oil is just too expensive and coconut oil makes me itch…but will switch as soon as i get a chance ..any suggestions? :)

herama says:
11/12/2012

Haven’t looked at this site in a long time. Just saw a new cellulite tool on Groupon with good reviews on Makemeheal and thought I’d see if it had been reviewed here…nope.
Anyway, saw Denise’s post about the itching and rash and wanted to mention that I have experienced the same problem most times that I’ve dry brushed for more than a few days. Using coconut oil seemed to exacerbate the problem a great deal. The first time it happened I tried natural oils to soothe the skin, but after weeks of no improvement, I was going crazy with the itching and burning and ended up having to go to a dermatologist and get a prescription cortisone cream to get rid of the rash. This has happened several times. (most times ending in use of cortisone cream). And though coconut oil seems to frequently be touted as a cure-all, I believe it can be an irritant for some. I stopped using it on my skin entirely. Further, dry brushing may also not be a suitable activity for everyone. I have no idea why I’ve gotten such a bad, burning, itchy rash from it, but I’ve bought new brushes (thinking it might be the particular brush) and it didn’t help.

dh says:
11/12/2012

Herama,

I quit dry brushing for about 1 week due to the extreme itching. I bought some lotion with hemp in it at the health food store and that seemed to help. I have started the dry brushing again, and have not experienced the itching as bad this time around. The coconut oil seemed to make mine worse, so I switched to olive oil, but both are pricey! Now I have been cupping started that on November 3rd 2012 and so far (course I know enough time has not lapsed) no difference in the cellulite-the bruising (looks like bruising) was awful, but has faded somewhat. I am going to give this technique at least 6 weeks and then I will post my results on the blog here. My opinion of castor oil is that it is too thick and the thinner oils work best to make the cup glide…but all in all I have not experienced any success of any kind, but I am and will give these techniques the benefit of doubt! I eat healthy most of the time, but do allow myself little indulgences here and there. I wish luck with your endeavors and keep me posted on your success as well as what you consider to be negative… thx dh :)

dh says:
11/20/2012

I have been using the cupping method for almost three weeks now (Nov. 24th) and do not see a difference as of yet. Is this too soon or does anybody know? I still have , what looks like, bruising does this go away or does it keep happening each time you do it? I have been using the dry brushing method as well so the both combined have not yielded results at this point-maybe I am just too eager! Any thoughts out there? I was hopeful that I would see better results at this point…Is there a recommended time you cup on each body part? Anyway I would appreciate anybody’s input or advice on this… THX dh :)

RudyTod says:
11/21/2012

I too have used 4 or 5 weeks this method and no results what so ever. As I previously commented I control my cellulite only by eating right. I was able to see improvement right away. I would never bother again to do this massage. For me it was very painful and left me looking like a dalmatian with all those bruises.
The same goes for body brushing. No results at all!
Another thing that a friend recommended I do was going to the beauty salon, they guarantee you results, but there is no point in spending money is you don’t eat right and exercise. Its all about the lifestyle. Start eating more like a Japanese, they are the leanest, healthiest nation in the world. My diet contains mainly vegetables and rice. I am a vegetarian and I drink decaf coffee. The only bad thing is I don’t like tea. Green tea is a must when you fight toxins.
I hope I was of any help.
Best regards,
Ru

dh says:
11/21/2012

I have a pretty healthy lifestyle…I do indulge, usually on a Saturday, but even that isn’t that bad. I don’t eat white rice or bread because it turns to sugar in your body. I have tried going gluten free and do pretty well at it. I don’t like green tea either, it makes me nausea when I drink it even ice tea does the same, so I stay a way from it as much as possible. I am going to continue the cupping for 2-3 more weeks and see what happens. If I don’t see even a tiny bit of change I can and will not keep it up. My legs look like a dalmatian as well-like someone beat on me. I don’t even think eating healthy and exercise makes it go a way because I have done that for 30 plus years and still have it. I just don’t wear shorts or a swimsuit. I do eat healthy omega 3 fish and organic chicken, I would rather get my protein this way than any other. Anyway I will keep it up for a while longer and then I will post my final opinion on brushing and cupping….who knows maybe someday someone will come up with a true fire cure, but I will probably be to old to care!!! ;0 thx and keep me posted…dh

Takane’ says:
12/26/2012

Hi, How are you removing Fluoride from your shower/bath water? Is there a shower/bath filter you recommend that removes chlorine?

I never did find a good way to remove fluoride from the shower. Fortunately I was able to move out of that town and now I live in a house that isn’t fluoridated. One fluoride expert suggested you could have a plumber install an in-line activated alumina filter for the shower. I don’t know how difficult or expensive that would be though. To remove chlorine, I use this one: http://www.purewaterproducts.com/shower.htm

Carmen O says:
2/19/2013

Hi, first and foremost I am LOVING this site! I find it enlightening but, I have a suggestion… have you ever thought of posting Youtube videos? There’s a lot to read (I know knowledge is power) and I’m quit a visual learner. Especially on skin brushing as I am a newbie. I just think this site has so much to offer, why not have some face to face time with us followers.

Liz says:
8/25/2013

Hey! I have a question. I’ve been a fan of your website for awhile now, I’ve been dry-brushing religiously for over a month and I’ve been eating a pretty healthy diet but I don’t see any results. I wonder if I’m having too much sugar–I haven’t eaten cane sugar in over ten years–but I do have honey, coconut palm sugar, maple syrup, stevia, etc. I wonder why so many women say that sugar is their kryptonite and when they say they eliminate it, do they mean only cane sugar or ALL sugar? I’m getting very discouraged and wondered if you had any advice. Thank you for your time.