Bone Broth Experiment and Cellulite Status Update

13 Jun

My bone broth experiment has been in full swing for a few months now.  The theory is that gelatin, glucosamine, and other nutrients in traditionally-prepared stock will allow the body to repair the damaged connective tissue that causes cellulite.

I did not expect to see results right away.  I know real healing takes time.  It took approximately two years to heal my acne even after I discovered it was caused by fluoride.  While healing from fluoroderma, small signs of progress along the way let me know I was on the right track.  Hopefully the same will be true with my effort to heal cellulite.

My Review of the Soup Bones from U.S. Wellness Meats

For the past week, I’ve been drinking stock made from the beef bones I purchased from U.S. Wellness Meats.  I’ve been having trouble finding a source of truly organic, pastured soup bones (my fluoroderma flares up if the bones contain fluoride).  So far, it seems the bones from U.S. Wellness are top quality.  When I consume fluoride, it goes directly to my face where I develop distinct cystic welts.  I’ve had some breakouts over the last week but they are small and heal quickly, which leads me to believe it’s a detox reaction rather than fluoroderma.

Another sign of the quality of these bones is that the stock gelled easily.  The other bones did not produce a thick stock, even when I reduced it down by evaporating most of the water.

I also have reason to believe these bones are high in boron, a nutrient known for its ability to displace fluoride from the body.  After my first day drinking the stock, I noticed that familiar feeling of water retention around my upper abdomen.  It’s the same symptom I get when I consume large amounts of boron from supplements.  From experience, I know to go slow with my detox efforts when I see this symptom develop, so I’m only drinking the stock every  few days.

I also noticed a canker sore below my lower lip.  This is the same spot I’ve had canker sores from previous detox experiences.  It makes sense since my teeth and jaw are storing a lot of the fluoride in my body.

Subtle Signs of Progress on the Cellulite Front

The same day I started drinking this current batch of stock, I noticed a very tender spot on my right leg.  It was just above my knee on the outer side of my lower quad.  Back when my cellulite hurt, this was the most painful spot.  I have a large artery  that is starting to bulge out in that area.  I was wearing long pants when I first noticed that this spot was tender, but I assumed I must have bruised it somehow.  When I checked the area, there was no sign of any bruising.  It still hurt when I brushed against it, but not when I pressed it straight on like a bruise would.  The next day, the tenderness was gone.

Of course I’ve been checking my legs for any sign of improvement in my cellulite.  I do a quick visual inspection, but I think it’s easier to feel any changes in the bumps and dimples than it is to see them (at least in the beginning stages).  Lately, it feels as if there is less inflammation in my legs and the dimples don’t feel as deep.

This could be from the coconut coffee anti cellulite cream I’ve been using or it could be from the stock.  It’s hard to tell at this point.  I’m just happy to be noticing some signs of improvement again, even if they are subtle.  Perhaps in a few months I will be able to add my experience to our growing list of cellulite success stories.  It could happen!

Comments

herama says:
6/13/2011

Yeah, well I’m about to strain my latest batch of chicken broth. I’ve been wondering: how much of this stuff I’m supposed to eat on a daily basis? The last batch was organic turkey broth and it turned out SO good I actually liked drinking a mugful almost everyday. If I didn’t drink it I cooked my veggies in it.
But mostly I’m not keen on drinking this stuff.
Any idea what a “daily dose” is??

As I recall, Sally Fallon recommends a cup of broth with meals. Doses are relative because the strength of the stock varies. As long as you are drinking it (or cooking with it) on a frequent basis, you’re doing well. Since I’m really trying to test this theory, I’m consuming more than I probably would otherwise. But there’s no reason to drink it plain, especially if you don’t like it. How about using it as the base for a soup, like zucchini or cream of broccoli, etc.? If you make rice or mashed potatoes, you could use it for that…

Erica says:
6/13/2011

Hi Melissa,

Wow, I never knew we had to drink bone broth with nearly every meal. I usually consume it prior to eating meat to balance out the amino acids and aid digestion. I’m going to try to consume it with every meal, and see how it goes. Do you usually consume bone broth with meals?

Oh no, you definitely don’t need to drink it with every meal. It’s a wonderfully nutritious food, so it’s good to have it frequently, but you don’t want it to feel like a chore. I’ve been drinking my broth for breakfast every morning. It’s a fast, easy meal and it holds me over until lunch. Whatever works for you!

D says:
6/16/2011

Hi Melissa! Love your blog!! :) Could you tell me what kind of slow-cooker you use? Also, what size is it. I would like to buy one for making broths and would like to get an idea about what other people are using. Thanks!! :)

Hey, D! I use this 5 quart slow cooker from Delonghi. Works great for me.

I’ve been meaning to send you an email but I’ve fallen behind again. Thanks for catching me on the blog!

Peter says:
6/19/2011

Some info that may be useful –

Bone broth are a good source of magnesium as well as calcium, both which detoxify fluoride. Magnesium oil/magnesium chloride from the Zechstein sea are also a very good source if magnesium levels are low and need to be replenished fast. Ocean plasma (http://oceanplasma.com/documents/products.html) is another very good source. Best plant sources are seaweeds and nettles

Have fun :-)

Peter

Wow, I’ve never heard of drinking “ocean plasma” before. I am having success with this mineral supplement from Dr. Ron’s. I am going to add in nettle tea and other herbs, though, after I finish reading Healing Wise by herbalist Susun Weed.

Erica says:
6/20/2011

Hi Melissa,

How many capsules of Dr. Ron’s mineral supplement do you take daily? Could we be getting too much calcium if we already include raw dairy in our diet, or is extra calcium needed to replace the fluoride stored in the bones?

I’ve been taking 3 or 4 per day, but I am building up to 6 daily which is the amount Dr. Ron recommends. I don’t have access to raw milk most of the time. Along with the bone broth, this supplement is my main source of minerals. Personally, I don’t worry about too many nutrients as long as I am getting them from a whole foods source. I don’t plan on taking 6 pills a day forever, but right now it’s my primary detox method for fluoride (along with the broth).

If you are worried about too much calcium, you could always ask Dr. Ron about it. He has a Facebook page where he responds to questions. He didn’t respond to the question I asked him, but you might have better luck: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dr-Rons-Ultra-Pure/126959317315320?ref=ts

Peter says:
6/20/2011

Melissa, the ocean plasma are of course seawater, collected from deep below the surface where there is most nutrients. Seawater is a very good source of magnesium as well as sodium, which protects the body from loosing magnesium.

The reason why they call it plasma is because some french researchers used diluted and purified seawater to replace all the blood in test animals, with excellent results in that all the animals regenerated their full blood supply as well as acted like they were younger and stronger than before the exchange. You find more info via the link is interested. Diluted seawater is a very good source of minerals for plants to btw.

The supplement you mention may give you magensium deficiency since it contain a lot of calcium and only small amounts of magnesium, which is needed to make sure the calcium go into the bones and where it is supposed to be. The levels should be 1-1 of these minerals since any deficiency of magnesium will direct the calcium into the soft tissues and organs, the brain included, where it will start calcifying the cells it settles in. Any list of magnesium deficiency symptoms are the same as calcium toxicity symptoms.

The supplement, which include a to small amount of magnesium, contain the oxide form of magnesium which is very poorly adsorbed. In this picture you include that only about 30% of any kind of orally ingested magnesium are adsorbed at any time, which means, when all the above mentioned facts are taken together, that the magnesium content of your supplement could as well be zero. This means that you could possibly get a calcium excess from using it.

Some magnesum info:

Magnesium is needed to convert vitamin D to its active form, which again controls the uptake and use of calcium in the body.

There are many causes of the inflammation that characterizes cellulitis (I guess you already know itis means inflammation and cellu are short for cellular, cellulitis being cellular inflammation), calcium excess in these cells because of lack of magnesium may very well be one of them.

Have fun :-)

Peter

You always have so much info to share, Peter! Have you ever considered starting a blog?

Peter says:
6/22/2011

You are not the first to ask me about that. I really have no spare time left to do a blog since I live on a farm, raising my own animals as well as growing my own foods, non-commerically (I don’t trade or sell anything I raise or grow). Since I don’t give my animals any kind of industrial feed nor so-called ecological grown feeds as long as these still are harmful to any animal (soy, rape seed, grains, plant oils, etc) I have had to find replacements or grow these myself. And this takes much of my time. I also grow my foods using fertilizers like diluted seawater and rock dust/stone meal along with seaweeds and some animal manure, believing foods should be as nutritive as possible, for my animals as well. I cultivate their pasture the same way. These choices are more time consuming than simply buying and using chemical fertilizers, but they are rewarding beyond any comparision.

I also use water exposed to magnetic fields when watering my plants as well as sound waves and/or music (mostly classical) that modern research has shown to accelerate plant growth and nutrients. These things take time, since I have to do all the theory work myself, as well as the physical work, buliding and using the equipment, etc. I am still in the first fase, remodeling the whole farm and ground, now being only in my fourth year here.

For the last 2 years I have been setting up a solid 2 meter high timber-fence around my main property, around 20 acres, so now all my animals walk freely around day and night all year long, protected from predators. Of course they can go inside whenever they want.

I feel all living beings should be treated with love and respect, and for me that includes giving my animals a good and healthy life with no pain or health problems like all those ailments caused by commercial feeds, which then always are blamed on fictional bacterias or non-existing viruses so that the feed and soy industry are protected from investigation. Not relying on easy to get commercial industrial feed or on so called medicines, vaccines or parasite medicaments, all very harmful, to suppress any health condition caused by unnatural commercial feed I have to learn every aspect of true natural farming and husbandry from scratch. And this is still time consuming, and will continue to be until I am finished with my work. My vision is somewhat similar to the concept of permaculture, growing only natural and/or traditional foods and nurturing the soil and the microlife in it instead of using syntetic chemicals and poisons to harm them.

So, for the time being, I don’t do blogs, and only write a post every now and then in other people’s blogs or forums if I believe I can contribute something of value, as well as helping people through mail. I am a retired nutritionist and heilpraktiker, and now a very happy “farmer” living in the countryside, surrounded by nature on three sides, and the north sea on fourth.

Have fun :-)

Peter

Ps – If you have replied to any of my posts in here and not gotten a reply from me this is because I have a hard time locating my posts when visiting your sites.