The Best Mineral Supplement for An Anti Cellulite Program

13 Apr

I’m still in the midst of testing my theory that homemade bone broth is a crucial part of the ultimate anti cellulite diet.

In addition to drinking broth every day with my breakfast, I recently added a mineral supplement that I believe might be uniquely formulated to target cellulite (my cellulite, at least  —yours could be different).

Meet Dr. Ron

Dr. Ron’s Ultra-Pure mineral supplement is not like any other mineral supplement I’ve ever come across.  It is made from the raw bones of grass-fed New Zealand cattle and contains absolutely no additives, binders, or fillers.

Mineral supplements made from whole bone contain microcrystalline hydroxyapatite concentrate (MCHC).  Naturopathic doctors, such as Dr. Ron, claim MCHC is the best source of bioavailable calcium, meaning it is readily absorbed by the body.  In addition to calcium, MCHC also contains the full spectrum of trace minerals that comprise healthy bone.  This makes sense considering MCHC is made from healthy bone.

One of the reasons I believe Dr. Ron’s mineral supplement could be uniquely effective for cellulite is because it contains 20 percent of Type 1 collagen protein, the predominant collagen in skin and bone.1 Collagen is an important element in healthy connective tissue and therefore a key ingredient in cellulite recovery.  I like that I know exactly where the collagen in this product comes from and that it is a natural source.

Dr. Ron’s Cal-Mag Supplement and Fluoride Detox

The reason I believe this supplement is uniquely formulated to target my cellulite is because it contains boron.  Boron is a trace mineral, meaning small amounts are required by the body.  Macrominerals (the ones needed in large amounts, such as calcium and magnesium) tend to get most of the attention, but trace minerals are likely just as important even though they are needed in smaller amounts.

If you’ve been following along here at The Cellulite Investigation, you know that we received a hot lead from Hakala Research Laboratories about the ability of boron to detoxify fluoride from the body.  Charles Hakala told me boron might be even more effective than iodine at displacing fluoride (Hakala labs specializes in iodine testing).  No one knows what other trace minerals could be effective at detoxing fluoride, which is known to accumulate in bone and connective tissue. I am confident that Dr. Ron’s product contains all the trace minerals needed for healthy bones because, I repeat,  it’s a whole food source made from healthy bones.

I’ve been taking Dr. Ron’s Cal 1000- Mag 500 Hydroxyapatite Plus in varying amounts over the last few weeks.  I did experience some surprising symptoms as time went on, but they could have been unrelated to the supplement.  I want to observe my body’s reaction for awhile longer before I write more about that.

(Disclaimer:  As with all information posted on this site, please be advised that I am not a medical professional.  This post is written for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for consulting with a licensed medical professional.  If you do try to use mineral supplements to displace fluoride, please start slowly as detox symptoms can be potent.)

*This post is part of Real Food Wednesday hosted at Kelly the Kitchen Kop and Fight Back Friday hosted at FoodRenegade.

Comments

herama says:
4/14/2011

So, wondering what your take is on lamb/lamb bones? It seems most of the lamb here is imported from NZ or Australia,where they apparently are grass fed and generally are not given growth hormones or anti-biotics.
I’m wondering how those would be for making bone broth/helping with collagen.

Any insight?

FYI: http://www.australian-lamb.com/uploads/20051101_National_Residue_Statement_-_Sheep.pdf

The Weston Price Foundation recommends lamb from Australia and New Zealand, and they are fastidious about insisting on quality animal products. Dr. Ron’s mineral supplement is made from New Zealand cattle. I think bones from these animals would be great for stock.

BTW –After our discussion about the quality of the beef bones I was using to make stock, I started to wonder if the possible detox symptoms I was experiencing could have been from the batch of lamb stock I had consumed. I bought the lamb bones from my local Whole Foods. They were labeled “pastured” and “local” but I did not know if they were organic or the quality of the land on which they are raised.

I did some research (online and I called the store to confirm) and discovered that all the local lamb at my WF comes from Wagon Wheel Ranch, an impressive traditional sheep farm right here in Maryland. Whole Foods even posted this video about the farm and its founder on their site.

Cara Michelle says:
4/21/2011

Hello! What were some of the “surprising symptoms” you experienced when taking the Dr. Ron’s Ultra-Pure Mineral Supplement?

It started as persistent water retention around my upper abdomen. When I increased my dosage from 2 to 3 pills one morning, I developed all the symptoms of acute fluoride poisoning within a few hours: nausea, diarrhea, weakness, and dizziness. They subsided in 24 hours. A few days later I took 2 more pills and the same thing happened, but it only lasted half a day. You can read the whole story in this post: My Efforts to Detox Fluoride with Boron. Thanks for reading along, Cara!

herama says:
4/22/2011

okay, so I looked into making bone broth. I wanna do it. But I don’t have time! I thought maybe I could try a pressure cooker (I don’t have one and I’m afraid of them), but read that it might not produce same results. And my aunt told me when she uses a pressure cooker to make beef broth, it doesn’t gel. Hmmm.
I just cannot leave a pot on my gas stove in my tiny apartment with pets without supervision. WAY too dangerous. Nor will I go to bed with it on. I’m not real keen on leaving a slow cooker on for 2 days unsupervised, either.
I mean, I have a big dog and a cat. I don’t know if they’d leave a bone broth alone or not. My cat jumps on my kitchen counter and licks pans I’ve just cooked in all the time (damn cat!).
Plus, I live in an OLD building with not so great electrical. I don’t want to burn down the building??
What’s the general consensus on pressure cooking bone broth? WOrthwhile? I don’t buy the internet claims tha pressure cookers cause carcinogens like BBQng does. B.S. That’s a carbon reaction from open flame NOT high temps.

Herama already bought her new slow cooker, but in case anyone else is wondering about this, I asked Kelly the Kitchen Kop about using a pressure cooker to make stock. She said she hasn’t used one before, but she heard that Sally Fallon (author of Nourishing Traditions) recommends not using them. She didn’t know why, though.

herama says:
5/7/2011

I read more about it and there’s a few “theories” that came up. The first is that using a pc doesn’t allow for maximum extraction of minerals and nutrients from the bones or maximum flavor. On this point, my aunt (who uses a pc all the time) did tell me that her broth is good, but it is not as flavorful/strong as those she’s tried at, say, a Vietnamese restaurant where the broth is (likely) cooked for a long time. She also said her broth won’t gel. (Both lamb and chicken broths I’ve made in slow cooker have gelled).
I don’t know that I agree with the lack of minerals/nutrients. Using a pc softens the bones to the point of disintegration, which I would think = serious nutrient release. The chicken backs I used in the slow cooker broth disintegrated (they crumbled between my fingers) like I remember them doing in the broths my family used to make in a pc.
Another theory I read, which I believe is completely bogus and one of those ignorant internet things: using a pc heats food TOO high, thereby creating carcinogens in the same manner as a bbq. Um, no. BBQ food over dry heat creates carcinogens by creating carbon (that nice blackened crust), which I do not believe occurs in a pot of liquid.
The other heat-related theory is that the temperature of a pc is too high, which may denature beneficial enzymes. However, I don’t see how the heat of a pc is going to make much of a difference over numerous hours of simmering in a slow cooker. A simmer is still at boiling point, the temperature of which is likely “kill” as many enzymes as a pc.
If the pc had been cheaper than the slow cooker, and I wasn’t afraid of the pc, I probably would’ve gotten the pc!

I think the original source of much of the no-pressure cooker theory is Nourishing Traditions. Going straight to the source, here is what Sally Fallon writes about pressure cookers.

Pressure cookers are included on her suggested list of kitchen equipment. The list is ordered from most to least essential. Pressure cookers are the last item on the three-page list. She writes, “This is another newcomer to the culinary scene. The danger is that pressure cookers cook foods too quickly and at temperatures above the boiling point. A flameproof casserole is ideal for grains as well as for stews. Traditional cuisines always call for a long, slow cooking of grains and legumes.”

On page 453, she writes, “We do not recommend the pressure cooker for grains because it cooks them too quickly.”

Those are the only two references to pressure cookers as listed in the index. I’m still not sure what she thinks about using them for stocks.

Personally, I like the idea of a slow, gentle simmer. It doesn’t take me any more time to use a slow cooker than a pressure cooker, since the slow cooker is the one doing all the work at that point. I like that I can split the project up into two different days. On the first day, I roast the bones and on the last day, I strain the stock into jars. I rarely have enough time to do both these tasks on the same day. Just my two cents. Overall, as long as you are consuming nutrient-dense stock it’s a good thing!

Ginny says:
8/6/2012

I am really enjoying your blog! What a great resource in the fight against “the blight” (PERFECT name for it). Have you or your readers had any results with hydrolyzed collagen supplements? A holistic practitioner friend of mine recommended it for my joint pain, but this link http://www.thedoctorwithin.com/collagen/Collagen/ lists skin thickening/toning among the benefits, which sounds very relevant to cellulite.