Getting Creative with No-Poo

During our discussion of The Truth About Beauty by Kat James, our Cellulite Book-of-the-Month (BOTM) last August, I mentioned that I had been “no-poo” for months.

No-poo is a growing movement of people who decide, for one reason or another, not to use shampoo.  I decided to try no-poo because my naturally wavy hair is always frizzy after I wash it.  The move is also part of a conscious decision to cut down on the amount of synthetic chemicals in my daily routine.

The Standard No-Poo Routine

There are two common methods for going no-poo.  The first method I tried was to wash my hair with baking soda.  I used about a tablespoon of baking soda in an empty yogurt container (the 32 oz. tub), and then filled the container with warm water in the shower.  I slowly poured the mixture over my head while working it into my scalp.

I followed that up with an apple cider vinegar rinse, which is supposed to restore the pH balance.  I used about a tablespoon (or two) in a yogurt container, filled the container with water, then poured it over my head while working it into my scalp.

This routine worked well for me, but I wondered about the long-term use.  Baking soda and vinegar are a corrosive combination.  You know me —I was curious to investigate other options.

The Curly Girl Method

The next method I tried was the Curly Girl method. Instead of baking soda and vinegar, you wash your hair with conditioner.  As its name implies, this method is designed for women with wavy or curly hair.  These hair types require more moisture and are damaged by common shampoo ingredients.

This method worked okay for me, but it did not seem to get my hair as clean as the baking soda did.  Plus, conditioners contain a lot of synthetic chemicals, too.  I wanted to see if I could find something completely natural.

Mineral Hair Cleansers

That is when I read about mineral hair cleansers in Kat’s book, The Truth About Beauty.  Kat recommends clay mineral cleansers from Logona.  I was about to order one of their products, when I realized I already have a mineral cleanser for my skin.  It’s an ayurvedic clay designed for use as a mud bath or mask powder, but I thought I would give it a try on my hair.

To my surprise, the clay powder worked great on my wavy hair.  I don’t know how well it would work for blonds, but it was the perfect cleanser for my dark tresses.  I used it the same way as method #1, except instead of baking soda, I used a tablespoon of the clay followed by an apple cider vinegar rinse.

Borax Hair Wash

After a few months using this method, my scalp suddenly became incredibly flaky. I had been washing my hair every three days or so, but I had to decrease the interval to every other day, and then every day.  Even then, the flakes started to appear by late afternoon. I assumed the flakes were caused by a dry scalp, but oil treatments had no effect.  What was going on?

At the exact same time my scalp turned flaky, I realized my water softener had run out of salt.  I refilled it right away hoping it would fix my scalp, but the flakes continued.  Oddly enough, I read about other women who had this same experience.  They were doing great on no-poo, then their water softener ran out of salt and their scalp was never the same.

My usual online sleuthing led me to EarthClinic, where people were discussing fungal infections as a possible source of a flaky scalp.  One woman suggested a “shampoo” recipe using borax water.  She read about it in a book written in the early 1900’s.  I had some borax on hand for cleaning, and since I was desperate, I gave it a try.  Finally, I found relief for my flaky scalp!

My Current No-Poo Routine: Egg Wash and Herbal Rinses

For the last two weeks, I’ve washed my hair with the borax water once a week.  There is still a flake here and there on occasion, but nothing like it was previously.  I still use the mineral powder, too, but there is another cleanser I am even more crazy about: eggs.

I like rubbing a few drops of rosemary hair oil or jojoba oil into my scalp for moisture, but if it doesn’t absorb well, the no-poo method can make it difficult to get extra oil out of my hair.  So on mornings after an oil treatment, I scramble an egg in a small bowl and use it to “wash” my scalp.  Again, I follow it with a vinegar rinse.  My hair always looks the best on “egg days” —full of body and bounce.

After reading Absolute Beauty: Radiant Skin and Inner Harmony Through the Ancient Secrets of Ayurveda by Pratima Raichur, I decided to add herbal rinses to my haircare routine.  She recommends burdock root or sage to keep away gray, and rosemary for a healthy scalp.  I simply make a large pot of tea with these herbs, let it cool, and store it in smaller jars until I’m ready to use it.  I heat it on the stove for a few minutes before I shower.

The herbal rinse smells so energizing in the morning.  Sometimes I don’t rinse it thoroughly, just to have the soft scent linger on my hair all day.

Have you experimented with going no-poo?  What are your best tips for natural haircare treatments?

*This post is part of Monday Mania hosted at The Healthy Home Economist.

Les Demoiselles d'Avignon by Pablo PicassoJoin the Cause

Start healing your cellulite right now by visiting our Cellulite Treatments page.  Please come back and let us know how it’s going along the way!

Or to make the most of your time and effort, why not first take a few minutes to get smart on cellulite theory by reading Cellulite 101?

*Signup to receive email when we announce a breakthrough in the case.

Comments

Liz says:
3/21/2011

I tried the “no poo” baking soda and vinegar method. The first time I went for 6 weeks and the second time I made it 3 weeks. I’ve never looked worse. Seriously, my hair was a mess. I also tried the all natural shampoo bars and my hair was even worse. Even after six weeks with the baking soda and acv rinse my hair never “adjusted”, it was stringy, dry and had no shine. I’ve spent a fortune on all natural and organic shampoos, only to be met with similar results. My hair just looks and feels terrible. So for now, vanity has won out and I’m back to salon shampoos and conditioners. We do have a water softener and I have a chlorine filter in my shower, both of which seem to help my hair.

Liz says:
3/21/2011

I will admit to having *ahem* a little assistance with my hair color!

Interesting, Liz. I wonder how that affects the no-poo experience. It’s difficult to use any “normal” products if you’re not using shampoo. The last time I got my hair cut, the hairdresser put detangler and a couple styling products in my hair. I had to resort to shampoo just to get them out. Nothing else would work.

dianna says:
8/16/2011

this is so true! i haven’t used shampoo in years since the last time i talked myself into trying it (lol) when i had been using eggs, soap or clay or borax for years, i couldn’t believe all the hairs that fell out – and i only used the shampoo once!!! it was horrible! i never tried it again.

recently i went and got my long hair cut to my shoulders (don’t worry i love it!) and the stylist insisted on putting a drop of some fragrance free organic conditioning mousse or something on my hair before i left. well it looked great and i didn’t have any reaction to it – but when i went to wash it off i could feel it on my hair and it wouldn’t come out!!! it was terrible! finally the clay got it out but it wasn’t easy…

I had the same experience with a haircut recently. Why do they INSIST on always putting something in your hair? Do you still use eggs/clay/borax, etc? I didn’t know if the borax is okay to use long term. I only use it once a week or so but I would like to find a long term solution for healing my scalp which tends to get flaky.

Jackie @ Crest Cottage says:
3/21/2011

I am no-poo, and I use the baking soda-acv method. I only wash about 1-week. If my bangs get a little too oily between, I use some cornstarch to absorb it and add body. I find that after I wash my hair, it takes about a day and a half to get back to its normal look. Weird.

Thanks for the tip about the egg wash. I will have to try it next time I need to wash it and have my hair look good right away!

What happens to the corn starch after you use it to absorb the oil? Do you just brush it through?

ML says:
3/21/2011

Girls, girls, girls, you are all braver than I am!! Whew, I couldn’t go without washing my hair! I use an all organic shampoo, conditioner and color, from the Italian company ‘Philip Martin’s. Amazing and unbelievable products that leave your hair smelling fantastic and shiny and wonderful. They are distributed in North American by a friend of mine, Julie Stamatis, (she has just brought them into the US) and you can reach her at: julie@philipmartins.us (866 644 0132) You can check out the website and read their mission statement: philipmartins.us. Julie’s dear friend, Richard Dalton, who was Princess Diana’s hairdresser for 12 years, raves about the products too as he uses them exclusively.

Another great company and product I just got turned on to is pureliving.ca They make a body lotion that actually hydrates the dry winter skin on my hands, feet and legs. It’s the first body lotion I’ve used that actually works and they are 100% natural, organic, real. I’m using their goat milk and almond body lotion and I love it’s light, clean scent which says a lot as I’m very chemically sensitive and as can only tolerate natural fragrances. Hope this helps.

I never thought I could survive without shampoo either, but I tried it and was surprised by the results. I’m sure it depends a lot on your hair type and the condition of your scalp.

The Philip Martin products look amazing, but I don’t like that the Philip Martin website doesn’t list all the ingredients. It only lists “main ingredients” which makes me wonder… My favorite cure for dry hands is plain shea butter. I put it on in the morning and don’t need to reapply for the rest of the day. This is the first winter I haven’t had to use a moisturizer at work!

Carolyn says:
3/21/2011

I have been no poo for 2 years now. I definitely would never go back. The thought of all those different chemicals and allergens. makes me sick to just think about them. I use the vinegar rinse with a few drops of rosemary EO, once in a great while I will also wash with either baking soda or an egg yolk. I had not heard of using minerals. Does that dry your hair out? My hair is so very dry, I have to add oils.

I haven’t noticed any drying from the mineral wash, although it’s hard to tell with all the flaky drama my scalp went through. I just use the clay as a rinse (2 tablespoons or so diluted in 32 oz of water). I am hoping my beef stock experiment will help restore my body’s natural moisture levels. More on that soon.

I like the idea of adding rosemary essential oil to the vinegar rinse. I am going to try that.

herama says:
3/21/2011

have you dried Dr. Bronner’s soap? I tried it years ago and couldn’t use it because I have incredibly fine, thin and straight hair that looks stringy and greasy using just about anything but a very few shampoos. However, I’ve read that people use it with success and it’s supposed to be all natural.
I have also read reviews from various users of “black soap” that say that works well for them. I use a black bar soap for my acne, and it REALLY dried out my face at first, but my skin has adjusted and I’m pretty happy with it. From what I’ve read, one of its uses is to combat dry, flaky scalp.
There are many kinds of black soap out there, including some liquid versions. I tried Dr. Wood’s liquid type, but it was way too drying. But everyone is different, and it does contain various oils that may be beneficial for hair. I now use the Nubian Heritage, but it has a lot more ingredients than most and is rather pasty (and black!), so not sure it would work so well for hair!
Anyway, just a thought.

I do use Dr. Bronner’s, but I’ve never tried it on my hair. I mostly use it to refill the pumps of hand soap I have at each sink. I love how one bottle lasts forever (I dilute it quite a bit). I’ve seen “black soap” products on Vitacost, but I’ve never looked into them. Something new to investigate. Yay!

Meliss says:
2/6/2012

Hey, Herama:
I also have very fine hair that is sort of “bendy” rather than wavy. My hair is (was) about 50-percent gray, and I was losing gobs of it using even “natural” shampoos. Finally, I went no-poo, but not with BS and ACV. The first thing you have to do is come to terms with the fact that the oil on your scalp is actually a wax, and that its purpose is to protect your hair and keep it clear of harmful microorganisms. Then, boil some water and throw in a tablespoon each of sage, rosemary, horsetail, hibiscus, lavender and nettles. (If your hair is blonde, use only chamomile, horsetail, lavender and nettles.) Turn off the burner, and let it steep for an hour. Strain out the herbs and put it in a glass jar in the frig. Every other day in the shower, use about six ounces of it on your scalp. Work the tonic gently into the roots. It will not foam. In fact, you’ll wonder if it’s doing anything. After you’ve worked it in, go about the rest of your shower while the tonic sits on your hair. Then, rinse it out well, making sure to let the water rinse away the tonic and the oils and skin off your scalp. Finish with a blast of cold water on your scalp and strands. When your hair is damp, comb it out with your favorite comb, making sure not to tug on your hair. Then blow it dry or let it air dry, whatever you prefer. Once every ten days or so, use an egg yolk (not white) rinse by mixing an egg yolk with a little water, and working that into your roots, again letting it sit while you shower. Your hair will be squeaky clean after you rinse the yolk completely out; however, it will not be quite as voluminous or manageable for a day or two. If you have a problem with hair breakage (as I used to), use a boars hair bristle brush to style it. I found a combination bristle round brush (boars hair and plastic bristles) that works extremely well, making my hair shiny by working the oil (wax) through the strands. Try not to mess with your hair too much throughout the day, which will make it dull due to the dirt and grease on your hands. Brush your hair with the boars hair brush every evening, working the oil through your hair strands. In less than a month, you will notice that your scalp produces less oil, your gray hairs (if you have any) will be darker, more like highlights against your normal colored hair, and your hair strands will be manageable, thicker, and shiny. Good luck!

Thanks for sharing this info, Meliss! How long have you been no poo? Glad to hear it’s working for you.

Meliss says:
2/8/2012

I’ve been no-poo for two months.

Very cool, Meliss! Isn’t it liberating not using shampoo?! In a commercial during the Miss America pageant, I noticed Alissa Milano was advertising that she doesn’t use shampoo either (she was in a commercial for Wen). Have you tried any masks on your hair? I made a rosemary olive oil treatment that left my scalp incredibly moisturized. It felt amazing, too. I need to do that again!

Meliss says:
2/13/2012

Glad to hear that no-poo is catching on in Hollywood. Maybe I won’t have to be shy about telling people I don’t use shampoo. I did use a rosemary-jojoba hot-oil treatment once. I followed up with an egg-yolk rinse. I followed up with two egg yolk rinses, and my hair was so silky. Not an easy accomplishment with gray hair! I haven’t done it again, only because of time constraints. I’ll try rosemary-olive oil next, and see how that works. I love experimenting.

Me too, Meliss! I experiment with all kinds of things here on the blog. It’s really fun. I just discovered ozonated olive oil. Have you heard of it? It’s a form of ozone therapy. I’ve been using it on my face for the past few weeks and it’s amazing. My face looks so bright and clear. I want to try it out as a scalp treatment soon. I’ll let you know how it goes. Please let me know if you come across any more winners!!

WordVixen says:
3/21/2011

I wash my hair with just water every night (if I miss even one night, I go from “ok” to greasebomb and then have to scrub the hell out of it with baking soda). Once or twice a week I scrub with baking soda, and rinse with ACV or whey if it starts looking too dry. It’s weird, but ACV makes my hair look greasy even when it’s freshly washed- which is why I use it as rarely as possible. Whey is slightly better.

I’ve always had dandruff, and while it’s improved a little since going no-poo, it’s still not good. I’m glad that you posted about the borax- I think I’ll look into that and see if it helps. We have very hard water, no water softener, and no shower filter, so I’m sure that’s part of my problem, but I really can’t stand the thought of going back to chemical shampoos- organic or not!

I’m curious to hear how the borax water works for you. I’ve only been using it a few weeks, but it’s really made a difference. The hard water definitely makes no-poo tricky. I miss my Aquasana filter! Next time my boyfriend comes for a visit, his #1 task is to remove that shower head.

Meliss says:
2/6/2012

Hey, Melissa:
I’ve seen a lot of comments on this and other sites, that question whether hard water causes the no-poo not to work as well as it could. In my experience, it doesn’t make a difference. I have very hard water and no softener. I use an herbal tonic a few times a week and an egg rinse every 10-14 days (see my comment to “Herama” above), and I have an adjustable shower head that has a pulsating option that I use to rinse away oil and dead skin from my scalp. Seems to work well.
My brief experience with the BS and ACV combo gave me poor results. Yes, it cleaned my hair, but too well, and made my scalp itchy. Also, for me it was like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. If my objective was to cut oil (wax) production, then it was counter-productive to use BS and ACV. The more you rinse the oil from your hair, the more the scalp produces. So, I chose the herbal/egg rinse option, and I love the results.

Leona says:
4/5/2011

I went “no poo” in December, and my boyfriend is crazy about the way my hair has been looking, but I think he’s missing some details. I found your post when looking for remedies to a flaky scalp, something I have never had a problem with before, but have been going crazy with since giving up shampoo. Yesterday I was so grossed out by the flakes and the greasiness of my hair that I ran to the store & picked up some natural shampoo & conditioner (Desert Essence in Raspberry) & washed with it today. My scalp is flake free, and my hair is so silky that I’ve been touching it all day, but I also keep thinking “is this how thin my hair has always been?” because I lost so much body by washing.

I want to do no-poo most of the time, and I want to try your different washes, but I have a question: how do you get the effect of shampooing with the mixes you’ve described if your hair is long? I never feel convinced that the things I’m pouring in my hair now (like diluted acv) are really staying on my scalp long enough to clean the hair there. Am I just a slave to lather?

I don’t know how the clay rinse seems to clean my long hair so well, or the egg wash for that matter. I do make an extra effort to try to scrub it into my scalp really well, but I was still very surprised the first time I used the clay and my hair looked so clean afterward. You might want to try an old fashioned “shampoo brush” if you want some extra assurance that the rinses are working their way into the scalp. I picked one up at Bed, Beth, and Beyond out of curiosity. I use it on occasion, but most of the time I just use my fingertips. It is hard to get used to the lack of lather. Some instructions I’ve read call for holding your head over a dishpan to catch the ACV rinse, and then running it through the hair again several times in a row. That seemed like too much trouble to me.

dianna says:
8/16/2011

i’ve used this exact same clay on my hair too! it does work great. it is a mixture of clays and has a lot of amla in it too! i also use it on my skin but usually just put a little in an old spice bottle and just shake it out and use it as a scrub. it works very well for me. i’ve even used it to brush my teeth! wonder if you could eat it like bentonite? i’ve used bentonite for years to clarify my hair and it works well too but i prefer it in a pack instead of liquid like i use the auryvedic clay. i also follow with an ACV rinse because it seems if i don’t that the clay leaves some kind of film. the only problem i have with clay cleansers is that leave my hair staticky! auromere also makes a very good hair oil., soaps (which i also use the tulsi neem bar for my hair) and toothpaste!
yay! dianna

I noticed the clay film, too. I’ll have to try this as a body scrub. I like using it as a face mask after I steam my face. Leaves my skin soft and bright!

dianna says:
11/26/2011

this clay is supposed to be very good for cellulite removal also. right now it is too dry here for me to use the clay – it gets more stat icky than usual so i’ve just been using some natural soap. i’m trying to not use imported stuff right now and i’m finding it hard since all the soaps that i’ve found here except my home-made which is made from lard and lye dry out my hair and hands! oh well. i am not a vegetarian and have no problems with the lard in the soap esp. since it is working so well on my hair. i have decided to just wait until my hair is really greasy and only wash then and stop oiling my hair and then washing it off.. we will see what happens 😀
what are you using these days? i love yogurt for my skin! i also use ghee for a moisturizer with a few drops of lavender oil to mask the ‘butter’ smell lol. whatever you do DO NOT try to do a heavy hair oiling with ghee! even with the lavender oil in it my hair smelled like vomit!!! lol not good… i think i was traumatized from this!!!

Ha! Thanks for the ghee warning, Dianna! After writing this post, I tried a system called Devacurl. It’s for women with curly hair. I wrote about my initial experience with it here: My First Dry Hait Cut with Devacurl. I like how it made my hair look, but the products themselves weren’t the best. They didn’t really go with my effort to minimize the use of chemicall-y products. After those, I tried the Beautiful Curls line based on a reader’s recommendation. The main ingredient is shea butter imported from West Africa under the Fair Trade program.

I also started using a hot oil wrap for deep conditioning. I heated some olive oil with some dried rosemary and a few drops of wild oil of oregano. I strained out the rosemary and rubbed the oil into my scalp before wrapping my head in saran wrap and then a towel. It felt wonderful! I left it on for 15 minutes and then rinsed it out with the Devacurl no-poo cleanser. I didn’t know if it would leave an oily residue since I don’t use actual shampoo, but it turned out really nice. This is just my first experience with hair oiling (beyond rubbing a few drops into my scalp). What technique and oils do you use?

Do you use yogurt as a skin cleanser or mask? That sounds so invigorating. I want to try it!!

dianna says:
3/12/2012

sorry i haven’t been back in a bit!

i use the yogurt as both a cleanser and a mask. i will either use just full fat greek or indian yogurt and put on a layer and let it sit for about 15 minutes or so and then scrub it off or if i am just cleansing just rub it on like i would oil for an OCM and then take it off with a warm wet wash cloth. both ways work great.
mixing clay in with yogurt (either bentonite or the auromere) works well for my skin too! i also like mixing turmeric in with the yogurt. so i guess if i leave it for longer it could be called a mask – if i wash it off quick – a cleanser!!!

i usually use the pre-shampoo conditioner by auromere – which is really an oil. it has a lot of very hair friendly herbs and it not so oily that it is hard to wash out (like olive oil).

since i wrote the last post i have found myself using clay more and more for my hair since it seems to be the only true ‘residue- free’ thing (and of course natural) that i can find!

lately i’ve been using bentonite because i can mix some up in a squeeze bottle and have it ready (it doesn’t go bad) and i will just use it on wet hair like shampoo and then do an ACV rinse.

I really like following up with Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel which is not really natural (lol) and I use the gel like I would a rinse out conditioner.

if i am not using the FOTE i will use a drop of the auromere oil on my hands and rub them through my hair.

i love the auromere clay product but since it contains so much amla i worry that it may eventually change the color of my hennaed hair… and also we use bentonite for a lot of other things so i always have it around and don’t have to order it off the interenet.

i’ve never tried the Devacurl but have been interested. i am allergic to fragrance oils though and sensitive to other things too so really don’t try too much new stuff these days.

what are you using now?

Really interesting, Dianna! I love receiving new ideas like these! LOVE the idea of the yogurt cleaners/scrubs mixed with a variety of nutritious powders. It’s fun playing alchemist!
My hair routine now is interesting, too. I have several random bottles of products lining my tub these days and I grab whatever suits me that morning. I still have some of the Devacurl conditioner left and also some conditioner from Beautiful Curls. I like the one from Beautiful Curls better and can even leave it in my hair for some extra shine (although it looks more oily then shiny when I tried doing this while traveling in Florida recently).
I used the conditioners to “shampoo” my hair, but lately I’ve been using other products first as a scalp treatment. As part of our Cupping for Cellulite Challenge, I’ve been spending ten minutes in the shower to do my cupping massage. During that time, I also put a mask on my scalp and let it soak in. I use it most on the crown of my head, since that’s the part that is itchy sometimes. I’ll use either and MSM treatment or a tea tree oil conditioner I found at Whole Foods. I started adding several drop of grapefruit seed extract for extra measure.
This isn’t anything I’ve read about or researched seriously, I’m just having fun experimenting with it. I do feel like my scalp is healthier these days. I was ecstatic the other day when I realized I haven’t noticed any gray hairs in a while. But these improvements could be due to other factors. Because of the cupping challenge, I’ve been washing my hair more frequently. Also, I recently got rid of my (very) old pillow. I’ve also been consuming unsulfured blackstrap molasses which is supposed to be good for gray hair.

Sophie says:
12/6/2011

Hi, I started no-pooing using baking soda and vinegar, but I live in a country with hard water – I think that b/s and acv don’t work so well with hard water (from what I’ve read). Anyway, my hair was pretty gross for a while. After I henna-ed my hair it looked really good (had to rinse HEAPS, of course). Then I started using an egg wash – beat one egg, massage in, rinse out with cool water. I follow this up with a small cup of turkish coffee – grounds and all. Massage in, rinse with hot water. My hair looks great now. HOWEVER. I’ve read that people don’t use the egg wash on a regular basis – something about too much protein? Is there a reason not to use eggs often? I still need to ‘wash’ my hair every two or three days, otherwise it gets gross and greasy. Is it bad to be washing with egg and coffee a few times a week? I also did a beer rinse once, that was nice. Tried washing with yoghurt – I woke up with pukey-smelling hair … TMI? Anyway – would love to get some advice on whether the obsessive egg-coffee wash is an ok thing. I find it leaves my hair very clean and smooth – haven’t had to add anything for detangling, whereas when I was using shampoo I HAD to condition or use a smoothing serum. Thanks for any feedback.

I’ve never heard of any drawbacks of using eggs on your hair. If you notice it starts to lose its effectiveness, you could take a break for a week or maybe add in an apple cider vinegar rinse (diluted with water). ACV is supposed to be excelelnt for clarifying the hair and scalp and restoring the Ph level. Please let me know how it goes!

Joe says:
1/17/2012

i came across your website in a search for more info on Borax and detox of fluoride – i recently started it (yesterday) per the Earth Clinic site directions – anyhow. I have been using Baking Soda and ACV for my hair for a while now (1-2 years? not sure to be honest). Never looked back. Hair is soft and easily manageable. I have a little tupperware with the Baking Soda in it, scoop out a bit, add a wee bit of water, and then work it into a paste. get it into the of scalp and the rest is as normal, haha. i usually wash every other day, and ACV just about daily. **A side note, i have been looking for a natural Soap to use for a while. (i also make my own tooth paste or ‘powder’; and actually deodorant as well! lol ) from the Earth Clinic site i found out that many people use the Borax as a soap powder and it has helped many different people in different ways. as soon as i finish off my current soap bar, i will be switching to Borax and a wash cloth. – also, i have been dry skin brushing (not so much for cellulite as for circulation) and thanks for the bit on how to brush ‘da booty’ !! hahaha, i was using the same toward the heath method as most others.

Interesting, Joe. Thanks for sharing! I want to try the baking soda method again. I was using it for a while but lately I’ve been trying the no-poo method where you use conditioner instead. I rinse with borax water once a week, too. I wasn’t familiar with the borax as a soap powder. Do you have have a link for that? I tried looking up borax soap powder on the Earth Clinic site but it comes back with a lot of info about laundry detergent. Borax is amazing stuff. I’m still wary of taking it internally as a supplement, though. It’s not really designed for that. Did you read my posts about using prunes for fluoride detox? They are naturally high in boron and much tastier than borax.

joe says:
1/18/2012

Hello Melissa. It took some searching but here is the section where it is talked about using Borax as a soap ( http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/borax6.html – Rachel from Montclair, NJ writes: “Borax instead of soap: … about 2/3 the way down the page; i know there were more references to it but i read probably 20+ pages on that site before i decided to ingest the stuff, hahah) I am on my 3rd day of the Borax (1/8 tsp Borax + 1/8 tsp of sea salt) and I am feeling well. The first day was a bit of a surprise, but otherwise things are going well. I’m sure you’ve read that Borax has the same toxicity as table salt; which helped my worries. I did not see your post about using Prunes for fluoride detox. i will definitely check it out! Thanks for the site and all your hard work.

Really interesting info, Joe. Thanks for the link! I like her idea of adding the borax into the shampoo she uses. I might try that with my conditioner. I use the borax water once a week for my scalp but my hair doesn’t look as nice as it does on other days when I don’t use borax. Maybe it will help to blend it in with the conditioner. I also might try it as a cleanser on my legs every now and then, since that’s where I am trying to detox all this fluoride! Maybe if I’m really brave I’ll even try it on my face at some point. Usually I cleanse my face with powdered goats milk. We’ll see….

Alex says:
6/23/2012

I have curly hair also. I’ve been washing my hair with sensitive vegetable oil soap or J.R Liggett’s Bar Shampoo for quite some time (it’s like 7 bucks on Amazon). If I wash my hair twice a week it’s clean and not stripped away of essential oils (which leads to frizz). I’ve never had to worry about my hair since switching from the toxic cocktails of conventional shampoos.

Great find! I’m gonna try JR Liggett’s Bar Shampoo when my conditioner runs out. I wish I could get away with washing my hair twice per week. My hair looks better the less I wash it, but my scalp doesn’t. I start to get flakes by day two if I don’t wash it. Do you rinse it on off days? I wonder if that would work for me. Worth a try…

Alex says:
6/24/2012

I only rinse my hair in the morning if I want to have more curls, since I usually brush them out on non-wash days. Just a suggestion for using the JR Liggett’s soap — wet your hair, grab the bar, flip your hair upside down, and use only a moderate amount from bottom-up. It doesn’t create much suds (no SLS), so it’s easy to get carried away at first, but if you use too much of it your hair will be too squeaky clean. After you rinse, you’ll also be a bit tangled, so it’s a good idea to comb your hair out (with a wider comb) before it dries. While I think it takes hair around a week or two to get totally used to it, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised!

Good to know. I actually never comb or brush my hair. It doesn’t get tangled after I condition it and brushing doesn’t help with my curls.

Jaya says:
8/3/2012

Thanks so much for the borax tip, my flaky scalp is driving me nuts, after going no- poo.I don’t have a water softener, but my scalp started flaking about two weeks after going ‘poo-less’. I’ve been doing the bi-carb and ACV up till now.

I make my own soap. so I wonder if adding borax to a shampoo bar batch, like I do to the laundry bars, will help at all. I’ll try a rinse first, and see. I have lots of roesmary and lavender in the garden, and was toying with the idea of drying and powdering these to make a shampoo bar with clay in it. Hmmmm….. food for thought!
You ladies are the best!

Rachel says:
9/26/2012

I have to add to this discussion- I am incredibly allergic to vinegar and didn’t discover this until I did an Apple Cider Vinegar wash to try to rid myself of dandruff. My scalp felt on fire and I had some minor hair loss along with breakage. So be careful of vinegar and other acidic substances! I also wanted to note that I started taking Acidophilus as a supplement to combat a yeast infection and my dandruff was gone within a day! Anyone know if Wen products work better than plain old shampoo?

Good to know, Rachel. I never heard of that before! Have you looked into the various treatments for candida? I know that can cause yeast issues, on the scalp and elsewhere. Perhaps that is what was reacting with the vinegar?

laura says:
10/2/2012

hi, I spent the last three months having a big drama with my hair, is so thin, shineless and it fall for tons, and im going no poo, but i need tips for an easyt way to start because it seems thats is going to be a major drama

Leighann says:
11/19/2012

I tried no poo for 3 months, my hair never adjusted, always looked and felt oily and waxy. I used a combo of things, baking soda, just conditioner, ac vinegar and cocoa instead of corn starch on the days in between. I even tried a shampoo bar all natural. My hair felt and looked terrible. I have since found a shampoo largely made from coconut oil, and I started using henna and indigo on my hair. I think if you have hard water, really hard like I do, the no poo might not work.