Iodine and My Cellulite Recovery Plan

04 Aug

On Monday, I told you about the pronounced reaction I experienced after starting on an iodine supplement. The symptom went away when I stopped taking it for a week, but now I’m ready to resume the iodine treatment. Why take a supplement known to cause an adverse reaction? I believe iodine could be a key ingredient in my cellulite recovery plan. Read on to find out why.

Halogens 101

When I was finally diagnosed with fluoroderma (cystic acne caused by fluoride ingestion), my attention was naturally drawn to research on iodine because of its close relationship to fluoride. Iodine and flourine (e.g. fluoride) are both halogens. Other halogens are bromine and chlorine.

Halogens are a series of nonmetal elements that each have seven electrons in their outer shell. This composition makes them highly reactive to other elements. Chemists refer to this property as electronegativity, the ability of an atom to attract electrons towards itself. Fluorine is the most reactive of the halogens (and one of the most reactive elements on earth1) followed by bromine and then chlorine. Iodine, on the other hand, is less reactive. The human body requires iodine in trace amounts but it does not require fluorine or bromine. Consuming these highly-reactive halogens, a common occurrence in our modern lifestyle, can inhibit the body’s absorption of iodine.

Early Signs of Iodine Deficiency

Knowing my history of fluoride exposure, I suspected my iodine levels were less than optimal. I started to notice other symptoms of iodine deficiency, too. According to Kate Singer, author of The Garden of Fertility, taking your temperature before getting out of bed in the morning is an easy and effective way to gauge if you have a sluggish thyroid. A basal body temperature less than 97.5 degrees for more than five times during one menstrual cycle is an indicator of hypothyroidism. She argues that tracking the basal body temperature is even more accurate than a blood test at determining if the body is hypothyroid because thyroid hormone is not evenly distributed in the bloodstream. I tracked my temperature for multiple cycles and it consistently hovered around 97.1 degrees for several days at a time.

I also noticed a tight, scratchy feeling around my throat on certain days. It was a subtle sign I previously would overlook without a second thought, but in conjunction with my thyroid observations it caught my attention. The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland located at the base of your neck near the collarbone. Sore throat is a common symptom of a distressed thyroid.

I know these symptoms don’t sound like much –a scratchy throat and a low body temperature –but if we pick up on the subtle signals our body provides then it won’t have to resort to more painful means of communication. We shouldn’t have to lose our hair or develop a goiter before we start paying attention to the state of the thyroid gland.

Creative Commons License photo credit

Comments

Laurie says:
8/4/2010

I'm really curious to see where you end up with this, as my thyroid is also a bit wonky (to use a technical term). I've been cutting back on grains, increasing the veg consumption, and tweaking the exercise routine. A mild sore throat is a very common thing for me, always has been, as long as I can remember. I've been taking one kelp pill per day, so far with no ill effects.

Yes, I didn't notice any effects with kelp, either the pills or when I made it with soup. I felt some detox symptoms when I had kombu, but I would have to try it again to verify that's what it was. The iodine supplement, however, seems to be much more potent. I'm curious to see where I end up, too!

Anita says:
8/11/2010

Hi Melissa – I just discovered your site and am already learning so much – especially through your post on Fluoroderma… But I wanted to comment on your post here because I've spent the last 1.5years sorting out my thyroid problem. I had the good fortune to work with an Innovative doctor here in Marbella (Spain), who knew how to test and treat me. Anyway – the long story short is the first supplement he put me on is Iodine.

At first I also had an adverse reaction to it – I was sick every morning I had it. But I lowered the dose and the symptoms disappeared. Now it's part of my daily supplements. The best part of taking it is I don't get period pains or tenderness – which is to say the least liberating :)

I did a lot of research to see what is best – because to be honest I got a bit worried by my reaction to the supplement.

I found this site to have the most unbiased and objective info from the ones I found – http://www.mbschachter.com/iodine.htm

Also – I don't know what iodine supplement you're taking, but the consensus is to take iodine that is made up of Potassium Iodide and Iodine because the two produce the best effects.

Oh, and as an aside – I also used to take kelp tablets as an iodine supplement and my doctor said that the dose is so low in them you'd have to take the whole bottle of tabs at once to make up the necessary levels.

I hope this is of help. And once again thanks for the really great info here on your site :)

This is fantastic info, Anita. Thanks so much! I just posted more this morning about my experience with iodine and the particular supplement I am using. It's made from conch, so I'm not sure of the potassium iodine content. Something else for me to look into. Thanks for the tip! Btw, I also have noticed a huge improvement with menstrual cramps, etc. What a pleasant side effect!

Desiree says:
5/10/2011

I noticed you haven’t posted in almost a year…? I was hoping to find out how iodine has or hasn’t help you? I too have started on liquid iodoine. So far so good. Tried the pills but they made me break out. I have read it can help you lose weight too. I am praying that will help me lose 10lbs. I have been trying to lose 10 lbs for 6 years. I have adjusted my eating habits and execsise 4 times a week and nothing for 2 years. Did it help you lose weight?

Desiree, you must be looking at my old RSS feed before I switched to WordPress. The Cellulite Investigation is still going strong with regular posts three times a week! I still eat a lot of iodine-rich foods, but I no longer supplement with it. Homemade bone broths are the latest hot lead in our investigation. Check out our archives on diet for the latest: