Rev Up Your Dry Brushing Routine This Summer

06 Jul

I was instantly hooked on dry skin brushing since I first tried it a few years ago and saw a drastic reduction in my cellulite within a matter of weeks. The experience is what made me believe cellulite might be treatable after all –it’s the reason I launched The Cellulite Investigation in the first place.

After a few years, however, my dry brushing routine needed an overhaul.  It didn’t seem to have a noticeable effect anymore so I was less consistent with it –a self-perpetuating cycle.  That’s why I decided to revamp my skin brushing technique as part of my SAS efforts.

So far, I’ve only found one book dedicated to the subject of dry brushing.  Dr. Berkowsky’s Vital Chi Skin-Brushing System: The Quick Start Program is our Cellulite Book-of-the-Month for July.  But instead of spreading out our discussion of the book over the next month, we’re going to concentrate on the subject of dry brushing all week with a multi-part series based on Dr. Berkowsky’s method.

I’m not going to lie.  This little book, first published in 1993, has not aged well.  The pictures now seem hokey (warning: gratuitous crotch shot on page 32), the forewords are reminiscent of college recommendation letters, and the book itself is more of a spiral-bound pamphlet than a book I would pay ten bucks for on Amazon.  Nevertheless, I learned a lot from reading Dr. Berkowsky’s “Vital Chi” Quick Start Program.  It definitely helped me accomplish my goal of reinvigorating my dry brushing routine.

Comments

7/6/2010

I discovered dry brushing close to two years ago and I've returned to it several times for a few weeks, then I tend to start to forget or procrastinate and then just give it up for a while. But I do think when done consistently it does help with the cellulite to some extent. Obviously not overnight, and I think that's my problem. I want it now! (To quote Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka) But during the last few weeks I've been trying to be more consistent, dry brushing very thoroughly at least 3-4 times a week and sometimes every day. I have to say I'm starting to see some results. I just need to keep it up!

Rhonda says:
7/6/2010

You're right about dry brushing helping cellulite. I picked up a body brush made from cactus from SoCal Cleanse and it's made a huge difference in my cellulite.

I look forward to your discussion of Dr Berkowsky's book. Who knew you could write a whole book on body brushing?

So exciting to hear that both of you are seeing some results with dry brushing! I know it doesn't work for everyone, so I'm curious why it works for some and not others. I suspect it has to do with what is causing each individual case of cellulite. I think dry brushing is particularly effective for women with poor circulation or women whose skin is in drastic need of exfoliation (the two are not unrelated).

Thanks for your comments. I'm looking forward to hearing any input you have during our dry brushing series!

herama says:
7/7/2010

:( I've been dry brushing every day, at least 30 strokes to all parts of my body, plus extra on backs of thighs and butt. No change :(
Siiiiiigggghhh. I'm convinced my problem is related to bad skin/premature skin aging, which I'm experiencing EVERYWHERE! I have stretch marks that appeared on my back last summer, and my weight hasn't changed!!! ANd from what I hear, I'm pretty thin (not it my mind..). Ugh! Find me a solution CI Investigation!!

You must be so frustrated, herama! But it sounds like you are on the right track in diagnosing what's causing your particular case of cellulite. The stretch marks and skin issues are major clues. With these stubborn cases, I often wonder how much hormones are involved. I've been working on addressing hormonal issue for awhile now, and it's a subject I intend to bring up here at CI in the coming weeks.

You're asking the right questions –keep at it! Real healing takes time.

Marisol says:
9/13/2010

I have been dry brushing every day for over two months now and the changes in my tights are impressive!! I can see them more toned and firm, this is the treatment with the best results that i have tried. I had cellulites since I was 13, I am thin, never been overweight, but my legs were always been my heavier part. They were never toned or firm, like my friends. After my second baby, the cellulite was all over my tights front and back, even on my knees!!! I’d first heard of dry brushing 6 months ago, i tried and I liked the results but i forgot about it later, when I read about it in this website i started again with great results!! I do it before I shower and if I feel like it before going to bed. Thanks for the great advice!! Keep the great work!!

Melissa says:
9/13/2010

This is exciting new, Marisol. I’m so glad dry brushing is working for you. Thanks for the feedback!