Oil Cleansing for Acne Prone Skin

23 Jun

Over I month ago, I wrote a post entitled Natural Healing for Acne with all my best tips on how I cured my chronic cystic acne without medications or fancy skincare products.  Many of you graciously offered skincare tips of your own (thank you!!).  One of those tips completely changed the way I cleanse my face. I just had to deviate from our normal cellulite subjects to tell you all about it.

[In truth, it's not a total deviation. Both cellulite and acne are caused by a sluggish lymphatic system.  If you have one, you're likely to have the other. What's good for one, is good for the other since the lymphatic system is a whole body system...]

Is An End in Sight for the Endless Parade of Skincare Products?

When I finally figured out my cystic acne was caused by fluoride, I realized I wasn’t going to find a cure in skincare products.  Many of the ingredients in common beauty products are questionable at best and do more harm than good.

By the time I wrote the Natural Healing for Acne post, I was down to washing my face once a day with a mild cleanser and that was it. Sometimes I would rub a drop or two of almond oil into my skin, but for the most part I didn’t need any other products.

That’s when a few CI readers mentioned Oil Cleansing.  With oil cleansing, you don’t use soap or normal cleansers to wash your face. You use oil.  Sounds crazy, right? Some women cringe at the thought of rubbing oil on the face. Isn’t that what causes breakouts in the first place?

Oil Cleansing 101

I’ve been oil cleansing for about 3 weeks now and I’m amazed at how bright and clear my skin is. I’ve been using a combination of about 30% castor oil and 70% almond oil.  Castor oil  is known for its cleansing and healing properties. It’s a potent anti-inflammatory so it’s best to dilute it with a gentler oil. I chose almond oil because I have it on hand, but you could use olive oil, sunflower seed oil, etc.

The process is simple.  Before going to bed,  massage the oil mixture into your skin.  Once I got past the idea that rubbing oil into my skin was not going to cause breakouts, I was able to really enjoy the process.  It feels so luxurious to massage the oil into your skin and then let it “steam” with a hot cloth.  After holding the hot cloth over your face a few times, gently wipe off the oil.

I love the simplicity of oil cleansing. My face feels so clean and nourished afterward.  And since I always have these oils on hand anyway, it’s one less product I need to keep in my medicine cabinet.  For more information about oil cleansing, this is the website I used for instructions when I first started. Thanks to Tara for the recommendation and to everyone else who chimed in with their oil cleansing success stories!

What about you?  Would you dare to wash your face with straight oil?

Comments

I've been using the oil cleansing method for a couple years now and love it!! I always dealt with minor breakouts before- enough to be really annoying. But nothing after the switch!

Liz says:
6/23/2010

I've been doing the same thing with coconut oil — massage it into my face and then use a warm washcloth to cleanse. Afterward I rub a little additional coconut oil onto my skin. I've been doing this for several weeks and I wake up in the morning with clear, smooth skin and no stains on my pillowcase. I'm not breaking out, nor am I using any chemical-laden products on my skin during the night time hours.

I can be sort of a slow changer sometimes, so this is part of my effort to elinate those products from my skin care regime that are potentially harmful. For me elminating facial cleansers altogether, and my face lotion use at night was a beginning. I've cut my exposure to the lotion by 50%.

Donielle –it's encouraging to hear it's working for you long term. Thanks for sharing!

Liz –I wouldn't have thought of coconut oil, but that is a great idea. I love using coconut oil on my legs, why not try it on the face, too.

6/24/2010

I need to try this with castor oil. I've had mixed results with coconut and almond oil, not spectacular results to speak of yet. I wonder if using castor oil would make a difference.

Erin says:
6/24/2010

I thought the oil cleansing method was great until I did more research about the negative long-term side effects of using castor oil. You may want to check up on this.

Thanks for the tip-off, Erin. Castor oil is potent stuff so it's important to check this claim out. Can you tell me any more information about the negative long term effects? After a cursory search, I just found info about internal long term use but nothing about topical usage. Do you happen to remember where you read about it or what the negative side effects were? Thanks!

Elizabeth –according to the oil cleansing website I mentioned, castor oil is the active ingredient in the mixture because of its detoxifying effects. Still looking into any negative long term effects (as Liz mentioned), but it seems to be very effective with short term use at least.

Tara says:
6/25/2010

Oh, I'm so glad you like it!! I still love it. Thanks for the shout out also! Oh, would you mind changing the link on my name to my food blog instead of my (sorely updated) family blog? Thanks!!! :)

Hi, Tara. Great to hear from you again! I only had your blogger profile so I wasn't sure which blog is the main one. I updated the link to the one you mentioned. Thanks again for the oil cleansing recommendation. I'm loving it!

Krista says:
7/1/2010

I've been using jojoba oil for the better part of a year to cleanse and moisturize my face. It's actually a 'liquid wax ester', not an oil–the same composition as your skin's sebum, so your skin absorbs it better. I use it in my massage practice for this reason–no staining on the sheets. I've noticed a big difference–and I normally wouldn't get a whole lot of breakouts to begin with! A little goes a long way–I don't think I even went through an entire 8oz. bottle in more than 6mos before having to refill it!

Erin says:
7/1/2010

Sorry it's taken me a while to respond. Yes, I received this information from a classical homeopath. She explained "Castor oil is a medicinal substance, and does have medicinal effects. It is even possible to CAUSE conditions with prolonged use…ear ringing, head pain, dry mouth, tearing (lachrymation), swollen glands, swollen breasts, gastrointestinal issues, mouth ulcers, inflamed anus…these are all symptoms of people who were without symptoms who took doses of castor oil (probably potentized, not crude) until they developed symptoms…" Internal usage isn't really different from topical use as our skin absorbs quite a lot.

After Erin's first comment about castor oil, I started mixing up the oils I use, too. First I tried olive oil, then coconut oil, then jojoba oil. They all seem to work well on my face so far. Perhaps castor oil should be reserved for limited medicinal uses, like when you first start oil cleansing and have a lot of impurities to work out of the skin. Thanks for that additional info, Erin. There are so many wonderful oils to choose from, there's no reason castor oil needs to be a long term treatment.

teachermrw says:
9/30/2010

Where is the scientific evidence, i.e. research, that oil cleanses, especially those whose sebaceous glands are producing excess oil?

Great question, teachermrw! Here is an excellent article written by The Beauty Brains, a blog authored by a team of cosmetic chemists. They explain why oil cleansing is a bona fide method of cleaning the skin.

Does Oil Cleansing Really Work?

Also, there’s something to be said for self-experimentation. If we have a theory (for example, that oil makes your skin break out) and just one experiment reveals disconfirming evidence (that oil heals breakouts and prevent further breakouts from occurring), then that tells us something important about our theory. I haven’t heard from many women who tried oil cleansing and didn’t like it. Thanks for your question!

Michelle says:
1/12/2011

This post actually was one of several that inspired me to try OCM – I love the idea of being natural – but I had DISASTROUS results. For me it was the worst thing in the world… even though I was extremely diligent about steaming, etc & then making sure I removed all traces of the oil afterward.

I think there is a small minority of people with sensitive skin who simply cannot tolerate castor oil, because even though I was using only about a 25-30% ratio (the rest olive oil), I had the following results (even though I only did it a total of THREE times!):
1. VERY dry flaky skin… which turned into…
2. A tiny bumpy rash all over my chin & forehead (the places where I concentrated the oil the most)… which then turned into…
3. Cystic acne bumps in a few places… which then turned into…
4. Full-on BOILS!

I am convinced that OCM gave me some combo of dermatitis and a staph or MRSA-related infection (seeing as my skin barrier was compromised). Either that or maybe some fungal thing. It’s DEFINITELY not normal acne. I don’t think too many people get this reaction but I’ve found a couple of posts about the exact same thing happening to ladies on MakeupAlley and EssentialDaySpa.

I even reluctantly went on antibiotics for 3 weeks, it was so bad, but they didn’t work at all and my doc said the next step would be Accutane! I was like – you’ve GOT to be kidding me. He said if it was MRSA or staph it would’ve responded to the drugs (doxycycline) and that it was just plain old acne… but I am not convinced. (And of course he refused to do a swab.) Since I started taking CLO about a year ago I honestly NEVER get acne! Maybe the odd PMS bump but that’s it.

So now I’m trying to DIY instead of forking out more money on drugs that don’t work: I’ve seen some improvement just with taking turmeric (which I read on Earth Clinic is the best cure for boils) but there are 2 remaining areas that are taking forever to heal… kind of like 2 clusters of deep pimples. ARGH!

Anyway just wanted to post that as a warning to anyone – I know a lot of people have great results but I would never wish my experience on anyone!

Melissa or anyone else – if you have any ideas for how I can get rid of this damn thing for good, pls let me know! :-)

Michelle, I’m so sorry this method is causing you such problems! Believe me, I understand how awful certain breakouts can be. I’ve never heard of anyone having a reaction like this from oil cleansing. Thanks for sharing your experience.

It sounds like it could be an infection, but I also wonder if the castor oil was releasing something from underneath the skin (kindof like how my body releases fluoride when I consume iodine –it comes out through the skin). Castor oil is potent stuff, and 30% is at the upper limit of what is prescribed in the Oil Cleansing Method. Were you “steaming” with a hot washcloth or a facial steamer? Perhaps the oil was working too well??

I recently stopped using the oil cleansing method in order to experiment with the ayurvedic cleansing techniques Pratima Raichur recommends in her book, Absolute Beauty (I wrote about my new cleansing routine here). She recommends using oil but not as a cleanser. She calls it a “nourishing” step. It’s only a few drops and they are diluted with water. It doesn’t involve castor oil, either. Maybe one of the treatments Pratima suggests in her book would help in this situation?

I am traveling right now, but when I return home this weekend I will look up some of the other options she recommends. I recall something about onions for treating deep blemishes….

Hang in there!

Michelle says:
1/13/2011

Thanks Melissa! Hmm I honestly don’t think it could be purging, but I suppose it’s possible. But I really don’t think purging produces boils does it? (I am really not kidding when I say they were boils! Like blood blisters or something – they felt lik bubbles and I had to get them lanced at the doctor’s. GROSS)

I feel like if it were purging out oil then they wouldn’t have so much blood inside – and also they’d heal up a lot faster. Right now these 2 big clusters (which are right around the same areas where he lanced – 1 on either side of my chin) are deep and hard and have been here for over a week with not much change at all!

I have the Pratima book as well and actually one of her oils believe it or not (I think it’s the vata one)… just super hesitant to put an oil on my face after this mess. And my skin isn’t irritated anymore anyway… it’s really these 2 cluster areas that are driving me crazy.

I’ve been applying turmeric topically (and taking orally), it seemed to initially take down some inflammation but in the past 3-4 days no change. Curious to hear about onions! I’m at the point now where I don’t know whether to go back to the doctor, or find a new doctor, or treat this myself or what… given my previous experience I don’t have a lot of faith in conventional medicine. :-(

Either side of your chin –that’s exactly where my breakouts start, in the line leading from the corners of my nose down the sides of my neck (see the awful pictures here). This makes sense to me since I probably have a lot of fluoride stored in my jaw area.

At the risk of being overly graphic, I also would develop breakouts that were very “bubble-ish” (so-to-speak). They were full of a thick white substance. After the initial breakout, I would develop a secondary breakout a little further along the lymphatic pathway. Eventually, my lymphatic system would process it out. How long ago was it that you tried the oil cleansing?

I know how you feel about conventional medicine. The most any dermatologist ever did for me was put me on Accutane. I don’t know if they’ve ever even heard of fluoroderma. Although, the Manual Lymphatic Drainage sessions I went to helped a lot. She did a lot of massaging around my neck and ears to clear a path for the lymph to flow.

Michelle says:
1/26/2011

That’s so interesting about the lymphatic drainage lines… makes sense that that would be the place where these annoying boils (or whatever they are) are hanging out.

Anyway – I had to break down and see a 2nd doctor (a very well respected derm) – he said I never should have been recommended the Accutane, but I DID have a very deep skin infection and so I had to go back on the antibiotics. Apparently the 1st doc told me to stop taking them too soon. Takes 6 weeks to clear up instead of 3 weeks which is when the 1st guy told me they weren’t going to work. Idiot!

Hate taking drugs but according to the derm apparently some people – lucky me! – are so very sensitive that even ONE use of an irritating ingredient can cause reactions like this. I only did OCM three times – this was back in October! So it’s absolutely crazy that I’m still battling this… but it’s definitely a product reaction, not a “purge” as so many advocates like to claim.

Emily says:
12/24/2012

Hi, I have been searching online for someone who has gone through what I am experiencing after trying oil cleansing. It sounds like what happened to you is exactly what has happened to me. I used oil cleansing for two weeks with amazing results, clear smooth skin. However after those two weeks my skin became really dry and irritated feeling, then developed little skin colored bumps all over my forehead, cheeks, chin and temples. These turned into cystic bumps then even what I would describe like little blisters or boils. After stoppin the oil cleansing and trying to self sooth my skin, with no avail I went to the dermatologist an was also put in doxycycline. This actually made my skin condition way worse and after two weeks my doctor took me off the antibiotic, also, my lymph nodes were extremely swollen and sore. He also is trying to get me to start taking accutane and I am just hesitant that it will fix what is wrong w my skin. I am curious what you ended up doing to get your normal skin back? Nothing gives my skin relief and it has been going on for two months now. Please respond or email if you have any advice you can share with me!

Emily, have you found any relief for your skin condition? I don’t know why some people react to oil cleansing this way. I hadn’t heard of it until a few people wrote about it here. What kind of oil were you using? I am wondering if there is a common denominator. Perhaps the castor oil?

Emily says:
12/29/2012

Good morning! Actually yes I have!! I went to a second dermatologist who gave me a prescription face wash called Ovace plus wash(OVACE® Plus Wash is intended for topical application in the following scaling dermatoses: seborrheic dermatitis and seborrhea sicca (dandruff). It also is indicated for the treatment of secondary bacterial infections of the skin due to organisms susceptible to sulfonamides) After ONE wash I felt immediate relief. Which have me hope after trying plenty different solutions. So my dermatologist determined that I can use the oil cleansing once this heals up, however I was using it too much and messed up my moisture barrier and allowed bacteria and chemicals that normally sit on skin to go right in. This would not go away on its own, it is something that needs to be treated by a dermatologist. So I think emphasis should be out there that if you start reacting with dry skin or cystic bumps that you should back of maybe use once a week at first to see how your skin reacts. Like I said the fist two weeks my skin had never felt better so I am so happy to find out what was going on with my skin! And to answer your question I was using castor oil about 10-15% and a mix of sunflower, jojoba and grapeseed oils.

That is wonderful to hear, Emily. Thanks for sharing! It makes sense that your skin was dealing with a bacterial infection. I wonder how the oil was able to impact the moisture barrier? Hopefully this info will help others who are noticing reactions to oil cleansing. Yes, it is excellent advice to start slowly and observe how your skin reacts. Thanks again!

Emily says:
12/31/2012

I am pretty sure I just one, massaged or worked the oil too long ( I was rubbing it in for about ten min) and using it every night. The ocm is so super effective that I was over cleansing even just once a night was too much after the initial first few times for me. Now I have started to use ocm along w my prescription face wash after and it’s working great. I think big emphasis should also be placed on only rubbing in the oil for a minute or two before steaming, it really doesn’t need much longer to get great results. Once my skin infection is gone I will be back to just oil cleansing, I still am in love w this method even after this disaster I have been dealing with! Hope my experience can help someone avoid over doing it and just ease into it. Good luck!

Ciera says:
1/22/2013

Hello, Im new to this whole thing, Ive never blogged and havent tried the oil cleansing method yet, but thought Id share my experience with apple cider vinegar. I have cystic acne as well as blackheads and normal pimples. I mix a 50/50 ratio of organic acv and water and apply it to my face after cleansing as a toner. you can adjust the ratio to your skin type. If i have a large pimple or feel like cystic acne might be flaring up I put the mixture on a cotton ball and hold it to the area for about 20 seconds a couple times a day. For me I feel this works quite well in taking down swelling, redness, and pain. i do have to use a light moisturizer sometimes as my face can get a little dry, but ive noticed a huge improvement in my skin tone, acne scars, and my acne in general. my skin is not perfect, but the best it has been in years. hope something works for you! I know how much of a pain it can be.

Valeria says:
6/11/2013

I tried the OCM and have disastrous results similar to some of the girls above cystic bumps after two weeks or so of using the OCM… I’m going to try some of the new methods that I learned here to see if I can clean my face, thanks!

So glad to hear you found a doc who can help, Michelle! You must be so frustrated after dealing with this for so long. I did look up the info I was referring to in Pratima Raichur’s book, but it was about bringing deep cystic acne to the surface. Sounds like what you are experiencing is way past that point. That would make me so mad about that first doc. I can’t believe it started in October.

Thanks again for posting your experience. Knowing that some people can react this way to oil cleansing is definitely something for people to be aware of when trying it for the first time.

Shannon says:
3/15/2011

I recently started using the OCM and the first time I thought my skin looked great but now I have noticed an increase in breakouts, and my face feels oily all day long. I do think that I am using too much castor oil in my mixture, the site I read said to do 50/50 and I think I went overboard. I also noticed what looks like blackhead-type black spots in hair follicles on my forehead idk if it’s tiny blackheads or tiny black pieces of hair -but I never had it before. Will the castor oil thicken the hair on my face?

I will be decreasing the castor oil in my mixture and maybe trying coconut oil as an addition.

Great question, Shannon. Unfortunately, I have no information on how castor oil will affect facial hair. I haven’t come across any info on that at all. You might have already read this, but please see Michelle’s comments above and take her experience with OCM to heart. It seems certain people are extremely sensitive to castor oil. In the site referenced above, they recommend no more than 30 percent castor oil. Some people don’t use castor oil at all. Also, keep in mind this is not a technique you have to use every day.

Since I wrote this post, I actually don’t even use oil cleansing any more. After reading Pratima Raichur’s book on ayurvedic beauty secrets, I switched to powdered goat’s milk. It’s not that I don’t recommend trying OCM, but I’ve found that keeping my skin clear is more a result of diet than anything else. I can wash with oil, cleansers, goat milk… whatever. As long as I am avoiding fluoride in my diet, my skin does not break out.

I hope this helps!

Jasmin says:
2/9/2012

I’ve been enjoying your site/blog for the last few days. A lot of great information here! I found it when looking up dry skin brushing. I have Lyme disease and I think it helps a bit. Then I found your info on fluoroderma. That was eye opening. I get painfully clogged lymph nodes when my Lyme disease flares. I also get cystic acne in the same locations as your photos… and I have cellulite. It all makes sense now… sort of. :)

And so why am I posting that here? I searched your blog for Castor oil because that (castor oil packs) is what many in the LD community recommend for a plugged lymph node. I wonder how it would affect cellulite. It’s too messy for me to want to try… and I can’t say it has ever helped my swollen lymph nodes. It doesn’t agree with my face either.

Another thing that I just ordered for my sluggish lymph system is red root tincture. Steven Buhner recommends it in his book Healing Lyme.

I’m off to look for a make-shift strigil now. Thanks for all your hard work!

Great to hear from you, Jasmin! Your idea about the castor oil is a good one. It would be messy, but it would probably make for a good body wrap. You could wrap the legs in saran wrap and then put a heating pad on top for 20 minutes or so. What do you think? Is it worth a try?

How is the red root tincture supposed to effect the lymphatic system? There is so much more I want to learn more about herbs! I’ve barely scratched the surface on that topic!

Jasmin says:
2/10/2012

I really hate the feeling of castor oil, so I’m not volunteering! :)

As to the redroot… Steven Buhner writes that it is a lymph-system stimulant and tonic… strongly anti-inflammatory for both the liver and spleen… He also says, “There is some evidence that it enhances the lymph nodes’ production of lymphocytes, specifically the formation of T cells.”

He also has a collagenous tissue protocol that you might find interesting. Pregneneolone, zinc, silicon, dhea, alpha lipoic acid, selenium, glucosamine sulfate, vitamin b complex, vitamin C&E.

I always think it’s best to start with diet and lifestyle changes… bone broth before pills! :)

The collagenous tissue protocol does sound interesting, but wow, that is a lot of pills. Does he advise taking each of those supplements individually? I’m not against supplements, but it does make more sense to me to eat the whole food instead, especially for a condition like cellulite where it’s not exactly a life and death situation. Is bone broth a part of his plan, too?

Jasmin says:
2/11/2012

You should see the core protocol! Surprisingly, he doesn’t have a lot to say about diet in the book.

It’s amazing how often that happens. That’s almost as bad as Dr. Murad’s book, The Cellulite Solution, where the diet he recommends is devoid of the nutrients he claims are best for treating cellulite.

Mary Rose says:
5/6/2012

I’ve been doing *just* oil cleansing for about a year now and it’s the only thing that’s ever gotten my skin so clear. Previously I’d put coconut oil on my face but I hadn’t stopped using soaps yet, and I was still getting breakouts. When I went to straight coconut oil (organic and unrefined) mixed with a bit of evening primrose seed oil – and avocado oil when I feel like splurging – my skin totally cleared up. I’ve never done the steam/hot towel thing though, it just never occurred to me.

Using the oil cleansing method is the only thing that got my skin to start feeling soft, clear and comfortable. The soaps were making my skin think it had to pump out more oil because the detergents in the ‘soaps’ had stripped my skin of all it’s beneficial oils. I’m obviously not a dermatologist so I can’t back up my claims with science (even though the many dermatologists I’ve gone to did nothing but make it worse), but I did have severe acne that started when I turned nine and showed absolutely no signs of stopping until last year when I turned twenty-seven and started doing oil cleansing. Spending the entirety of your adolescence and young adulthood with severe, chronic acne is no way for anyone to live. I’m just so glad I got a handle on it.

Anyway, all I do is apply coconut oil and sometimes evening primrose seed oil to my face (I use coconut oil everywhere though, the evening primrose seed oil only goes on my face) before bed and after showering. I wake up with a glowing complexion and feeling wonderful.

I love the idea of using evening primrose seed oil! Can you buy it in liquid form or do you have to open it from a pill? Do you refrigerate it? I need to try this. Thanks for sharing. :)

Jim says:
5/30/2012

Oil cleansing can only be so helpful if you don’t address the root cause, which is mostly diet. Learn how to alkalize your body. Stop eating SUGAR, processed and fast foods. Eat more raw, organic foods, whole grains, and the purest water you can get. Regular exercise (and sweating) also helps cleanse pores and skin, and lowers stress. Yes there are fluorochemicals (fluorides) in your water, food, beverages, cookware, clothing, carpets, medicines…etc., even in the air you breathe! Think about all the products you use (deodorant, shampoo, lotions, sunscreen, make up…) find natural alternatives. Take responsibility for your own health and educate yourself. Acne is a symptom of another problem. Diet change may not be the quickest or easiest fix but its the only true CURE. Zinc deficiency should be considered. Candidaisis and other gut infections should also be considered, but these too are symptoms of incorrect diet and toxicity. Many people have reported successful topical treatment with baking soda, Desitin(zinc oxide), calamine lotion, Borax, hydrogen peroxide, apple cider vinegar, yeast, aloe vera, tea tree oil, and combinations thereof. Teens can blame their hormones but are often eating the worst diets too.

Great comment, Jim! There’s a lot of good info in there. Did you already see my posts about fluoride and acne, or was that just a coincidence that you mentioned fluorochemicals? I absolutely agree that the number one factor in acne is diet. My acne cleared 100 percent when I got rid of all the major sources of fluoride in my life. Hooray!! Was their one particular source of acne for you? Were you able to heal it completely? Thanks for stopping by!

Jim says:
6/1/2012

Hi Melissa.
Its no coincidence. Erroneously, most Americans have a “fluoride is good” paradigm and aren’t inclined to question it. Fluoride is a very important political matter. Most people have no idea where the fluoride comes from, or just how toxic it is, especially the “hexafluorosilicic acid” that is used to fluoridate public water systems. It is deliberate disinformation, and the most classic case of big industry pushing their special interest agenda on misinformed populations. I see fluoride as an important spoke in the toxic wheel. We are at the hub, and we’re being incrementally poisoned from so many sources that its hard to point a finger anymore.

You could say our food, water, medicine, and air have been weaponized to suit the global elitists, and their vested interests. In this case, the greedy poison peddlers are allowed to dispose of their toxic industrial waste in municipal waters and to actually profit from it, instead of paying the many hundreds of millions in toxic waste disposal. Simply put, the so-called fluoride in your drinking water is air pollution concentrate! It is industrial waste (hazmat 6.1) and is contaminated with toxic heavy metals and radioactive elements, and is captured in the air pollution scrubbing systems inside the giant smokestacks (industries like steel, aluminum, and especially phosphate fertilizer). 90% of it comes straight from China! China, by the way, has banned water fluoridation. So has Japan, and 98% of Europe. Odorless and colorless, fluoride has been deemed “the perfect poison”, and thats why its used as rat poison and many pesticides. Deplorably, the institutions we trust for public health, still advocate this megatoxin despite the growing body of scientific study linking fluoride to cancers, heart disease, kidney problems, infertility, learning disorders, thyroid and pineal dysfunction, asthma, arthritis, Alzheimer’s, and more. I guess we can add acne to the list. I would advise readers to do some research of their own. Regardless of how you feel about fluoride, water fluoridation is forced mass medication and removes the citizen’s right to choose.

http://www.slweb.org/ftrcnews.html Compelling information hard to dispute
http://www.fluoridedebate.com/index.html (…excellent info, credible, comprehensive, organized, and complete)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21946616Jan. (2012 study linking fluoride to heart disease, abstract)

http://www.slweb.org/index.html (Provides a vast bibliography of scientific research)

“I am appalled at the prospect of using water as a vehicle for drugs. Fluoride is a corrosive poison that will produce serious effect on a long-range basis. Any attempt to use the water this way is deplorable.” Charles Gordon Heyd, M.D., Past President, American Medical Association.

On Nov. 24, 1992, Robert Carton, Ph.D., a former EPA scientist made this statement: “FLUORIDATION IS THE GREATEST CASE OF SCIENTIFIC FRAUD OF THIS CENTURY, IF NOT OF ALL TIME.”

Professor Albert Schatz, Ph.D., Microbiology, discoverer of the antibiotic streptomycin, was of the same opinion. His statement was: “fluoridation … it is the greatest fraud that has ever been perpetrated and it has been perpetrated on more people than any other fraud has.”

“The evidence that fluoridation causes cancer is scientifically sound.” Dr. William Marcus, Chief Toxicologist, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

“Fluoride causes more human cancer death, and causes it faster, than any other chemical.” Dr. Dean Burk, Former Chief Chemist, U.S. National Cancer Institute.

No problem convincing me, Jim! I’ve spent the last few years studying fluoride. It took a while, but I was finally able to figure out how to limit my fluoride exposure enough to heal my cystic acne. Now I am working on detoxing the fluoride that’s already stored in my body. You can read more about my fluoride experience at this link: Everything You Need to Know About Fluoride and Acne, aka Fluoroderma. I even wrote an ebook about it. I would love to know your thoughts if you have a chance to read it!

Jim says:
6/3/2012

My 14 yr old son is struggling with acne. He also has a far more active lifestyle now, and is spending more time away from home, so he eats on-the-run, and defaults to a much lower diet standard. At 14, he doesn’t have much restraint either. Our town fluoridates, so exposure is harder to avoid. I do my best to educate him, and we’re trying some natural treatments.

I like what you’ve done here Melissa. You are truly a diamond in the rough. I too, have been doing a great deal of research on fluoride (and related topics) and feel compelled to share it. Its disheartening when you struggle to convince your own friends and family that fluoride is not what they think…. I have no political agenda; no special interest… other than the well being of my friends and family (and fellow citizens). I have no reason to bash fluoride, I’m not trying to sell anything (like toxic waste).

Is your water fluoridated? As you know, fluorochemicals are used recklessly in a wide variety of products that contribute to human toxicity ( like cookware, food packaging, clothing, pharmaceuticals, etc). Your list is more complete….

But fluoridated water contaminates much more, and causes more toxicity because it bio-accumulates every place where water evaporates. When water evaporates the perfect H2O vapors escape into the atmosphere leaving behind the dry, dissolved solids from the water (like the water spots left on your car). Consider commercially processed instant oatmeal, for example, which is cooked in huge vats with municipal water. The water is then evaporated and the dried product now has the concentrated chemicals from the city water. The instant oatmeal is later reconstituted with even more fluoridated water and fed to babies. Most dried cereals are made this way. This is just one example of course. Water has about 1ppm, but Iceberg lettuce has tested at 180ppm! Citrus is allowed to have 95ppm, raisins 55ppm, potatoes 22ppm, just to name a few. Think of your clothing being dried in the drier, accumulating those chemicals which are then in contact with your skin all day, everyday…..how about your dishes in the dishwasher, and the fumes….. the soil in your veggie garden, and the veggies themselves….watering….the sun it dries up……more water….more evaporation….. The chemicals bio-accumulate and contribute to toxicity. We shower and bathe our kids in these chemicals too, and most people are unaware that skin cells are absorbing these toxins, and when heated, toxic fluoride vapors are inhaled as well.

In January 2012, this year, a groundbreaking new study has linked fluoride to heart disease! Researchers found that sodium fluoride consumption directly stimulates the hardening (calcification) of arteries, a condition known as atherosclerosis. Nucl Med Commun. 2012 Jan;33(1):14-20. You would think this would get some media attention….? Are we really supposed to ignore risks to our brain, heart, kidneys, neurons, and other vital tissues for our teeth?? The FDA has NEVER approved fluoride for consumption. There is no proof whatsoever that swallowing fluoride is effective, or SAFE, so why is the burden of proof on the citizen? Its so ridiculous.

Hi, Jim. Thanks for sharing all this info with us on the site! You would think studies like those would get some attention!! It’s strange what passes for “news” in the media. I must admit I don’t watch the news at all any more. I rarely find it useful.

I live in Maryland which is the most heavily fluoridated state in the country from what I’ve read. Fortunately I was able to find a house with well water. Still, it’s much easier to eat out when I am back in Florida where our county isn’t fluoridated.

Keep on spreading the word! Not everyone is interested, but the ones that are will thank you for it!

Mariam says:
6/12/2012

Hi, Thanks for the great info. I only have olive oil in my cabinet and have started using that. My skin does feel good after that but gets a bit dry so I dab a little bit of oil on my skin before going to sleep. I have an acne prone skin and have two questions:

1. Does applying olive oil will cause breakouts?
2. When I read about olive oil’s benefits a few months back, I went to the store to buy it. The shop keeper told me that extra virgin olive oil is for cooking and gave me a light coloured olive oil (extra virgin is dark in colour)for face and body. I was just wondering why extra virgin will be good for skin when it is used for cooking and why not use the basic olive oil?

Hmmmm… this is a good question. I use the same kind of olive oil on my face as for my diet (extra virgin). Usually body oils aren’t as high quality as edible oils. Other than price, I can’t see why the shop keeper would tell you to use regular olive oil for skin care.

I never get breakouts from any type of quality oil on my skin, but everyone is different. Whenever you try a new oil, it’s a good idea to test it out for a few days and carefully observe any reactions. If your skin starts looking worse, stop using it and try another type of oil. Different oils vary in how drying or moisturizing they are to the skin. You might want to experiment with different kinds to see which one works best for your skin. It might vary by season to. I like changing it up every few months.

Srikala says:
6/30/2012

HI there
Just came across your site Melissa, interesting info. I have been using my extra virgin olive oil in my kitchen as a face and body lotion before i go to bed and it has been nothing but good for my skin. I have always used oil – coconut, olive oil etc – as my under eye moisturizer in the night since a teenager, but i extended it to my face and now body, especially after reading what those body lotions contain. I need to get back to what I was doing when i was younger, applying and massaging oil on my body and head before taking bath. This used to be a weekly ritual.
In addition, i want to add, in India, people I know use nothing but coconut oil not only for cooking, but also apply on their body as a daily ritual before taking bath and their skin is nothing but clear. Of course, they live in natural surroundings and have access to good water with less pollution and that also helps.

Srikala! Thanks so much for your comment! I wish I had replied sooner, especially since you are writing all the way from India? (I was on a mini break from my regular blogging activities the last few weeks). It’s so interesting to hear how people use oils there on the other side of the world. When you used the oil on your skin before the bath, did you scrape it off your skin afterwards? I read somewhere that people practice this type of oil bathing in India but I wasn’t able to find any good information about it. I’ve been using this technique and it’s amazing how it clears the skin.

Also, can you tell us if women have cellulite in India? If so, what percentage approximately? Here in the US it’s about 90 percent. Are there certain types of women (thin, fat, women who eat a certain diet, etc) who tend to have it more than other women? Thanks for any info you can share!

Srikala says:
7/23/2012

HI Melissa
Thanks for your reply. You make it sound like I have all the answers to cellulite but I have cellulite too and am on the heavier side so i am not in any way a good example for you :-) But speaking of women here , i believe every body has cellulite, though it is not visible so much because women do not expose their legs as much as in the US. In fact in many cases it is not considered a problem so I don’t think women lose sleep over it unless they have to suddenly come out in a swim suit :) Percentage wise, i can’t say but it may be 50 to 70%. The reasons for having it are the same: poor diet, weight, lack of exercise. Junk food is prevalent even here along with healthy food as well!
Speaking about oil, yes we wash it off normal soap/water, etc but some people apply a natural powder mixed with water which acts like a cleansing agent. I speak for not the whole of India though as it is vast and diverse and i can’t say everyone does the same but people who maintain their traditional roots still do the same. BTW, This kind of oil massaging is recommended even in Ayurveda though the oil used is different – sesame oil. Hope I have been of some help!

Yes, that info is really interesting! ThAnks so much for sharing! It’s a shame to hear about the junk food in India. I had a preconception that it wasn’t as prevalent there. Do you know what kind of powder they use to wash off the oil? That sounds lovely! I read a book that said to use chickpea powder??

Srikala says:
7/25/2012

Melissa,
Maybe the links below will give some more info about what i was talking about. For anyone thinking about doing this the traditional way, my personal suggestion is to start slow with this and go with what is comfortable; it can test your patience if you expect all the oil to go away after the bath!!

amanda says:
7/5/2012

You will want to use extra virgin olive oil, organic preferably, because it is the first cold pressing of the olives and it is the purest. The other types use chemicals and heat during extraction. The heat destroys a lot of the beneficial nutrients, as do the chemicals.
Also when using castor oil make sure it is cold pressed , hexane free for the same reasons. I have been using olive and castor oil for cleansing, moisturizing , etc… When you apply extra virgin olive oil after sun exposure it reduces cancer. I use the olive oil faithfully to clean and moisturize, adding sugar when I need to exfoliate. To clean you just massage oil(s) in and use a very warm washcloth to steam and remove. (Can use straight olive oil to clean or 75percent castor to 25 percent olive for oily skin, and reverse for dry) Apply more oil to moisturize and you’re done. A steamy rag cleans castor oil away too. I never use soap anymore. The oil keeps my skin in great shape. Really glad I tried both. Also with the castor oil, you can just apply where you need and leave it to absorb. You don’t have to use plastic wrap etc. Castor packs with heat applied are also supposed to be beneficial.

Mariam says:
6/12/2012

Sorry, There is something missing in my last reply. Actually in most of the websites, its castor oil mixed with extra virgin olive oil for oil cleansing. That is why I asked!!!

Imuneekru says:
12/25/2012

After using OCM for the past several weeks, I too am noticing he same problems others mentioned with the cystic acne breakouts and little black spots. I’ve been using a combo of hemp and almond oils with a little castor oil (maybe 20%). Any idea what’s causing this? Also, anyone have trouble with getting the towels clean afterwards? A couple of of my facecloths have gotten a rancid smell after I washed and dried it. I don’t want to have to replace all my lines.

Have you tried a different combo of oils? I’ve never used hemp oil. IF you’re experiencing a negative reaction, I would take a break right away and try something different.

I didn’t have a problem with the towels. You could always add a dash of hand soap before you rinse the towel out afterwards. Would that work?

s says:
1/9/2013

i have combination skin which is acne pore too. i have a few acne n scares on my face. can oil cleansing help me to get clean n glowing skin

everyone seems to have a different reaction to it. You can try it for a few days and see what happens. But do go slow in the beginning and if you notice any adverse reactions, either take a break or stop altogether. Please let us know how it goes!

pauline says:
2/13/2013

hello! im a swedish girl living in brazil. since moving here i have only been using coconut oil for my face, body and cooking. since a week i have been using the oil cleansing method as well, i used to have breakouts on my chin but they are gone now, the only thing that hasn’t improved is redness around my nose and a small itchy red patch on one side of my nose with small red spots in it. any idea what that could be? I’m thinking it might be some sort of fungal infection since nothing i apply seems to help. i don’t want to get creams for the doctor etc (antibiotics, cortisone) , id like to heal it in a holistic way, any suggestions to what might help?

keep up the good work!