Lecithin and Fat Loss

11 Jun

Just four pages into our Cellulite Book-of-the-Month (BOTM), the author already touched on several important cellulite subjects we could talk about all day. One of those subjects is lecithin.  We’ve brought up lecithin before (in this post on grass-fed butter and this post on Celluscience from GNC), but Ann Louise gives us more information on how lecithin is effective against cellulite.

According to Gittleman, the secret to fat loss is in the liver.  The liver produces bile which is used to break down fats.  If the liver is lacking certain nutrients or congested with chemicals or other toxins, it won’t be able to do its job efficiently.

Since one of the primary ingredients of bile is lecithin, Ann Louise began by adding lecithin-rich eggs to her diet. She describes lecithin is “a highly effective emulsifier with a detergent-like ability to break up fats.”  She also added diluted lemon juice twice a day (lemon and water is a known bile thinner).  She was amazed when not only did her cholesterol drop twenty points, but she also dropped the pounds at the same time.

Ann Louise saw similar results in a test group of thirty patients she put on the same program. In addition to eating two eggs a day and drinking lemon water twice daily, the group was instructed to avoid caffeine and medications as much as possible. All thirty patients lost weight (particularly at the waistline) with one woman losing over twenty pounds in a six-week period.

We’ll have more info from our Cellulite BOTM next week. Can’t wait to see what Ann Louise says in the next section: “the role of fat-burning fats.”

Comments

Amaryllis says:
6/11/2010

Interesting. Would advise caution with lemon water, as some people I have known have had the enamel on their teeth eroded by drinking it regularly.

Melissa, you have talked about eggs before, but I'm not sure how to identify a lecithin-rich egg. You may have posted this already, but…free-range or home/farm fresh with a very golden yellow yolk… is that right? (It would be difficult for me to find them here where I live in the centre of a major city, in a country where 'free-range' is something people do on the weekends for fun rather than how animals should be treated!)

6/11/2010

Oooh, good find. I love anyone who tells me to eat eggs. ;) I've been reading The Detox Book by Bruce Fife, and there's some interesting stuff about cleansing the different organs. If a clean liver helps with fat loss, all the better for me!

Thanks for the warning, Amaryllis. That is something to look out for. I've only tried the lemon water approach a few times, but I can see how it could be bad for your teeth on a regular basis. Maybe a straw would help if someone wants to try it long term.

And yes, hens that have access to the outdoors (and all those nutritious, yummy bugs) will have deep orange yolks. Also, the different section of whites will be more distinct. According to this paper about the physics of hen's eggs, there are supposed to be three distinct section of whites, but I only remember ever seeing two.

Farmer's markets are usually a great source for fresh eggs. Do they have any good ones in your area? I went to an amazing market in Stuttgart. I also recall a lot of the locals having their own separate plots of land where they would garden. Some had hens. I bet if you ask around you could find a source for fresh eggs, even in the middle of a big city. If not, the nearest chapter of the Weston Price Foundation might be able to provide more helpful info. They are always on top of these things.

btw –here is the CI post about pastured eggs. I didn't even include the lecithin factor, proving the Cellulite Investigation is a learning process…

Elizabeth, I was intrigued by your post about the coconut oil detox fast, as described in Dr. Fife's book. I've never heard of anything like that before. I'm not one for fasting (maybe someday I'll try it for a couple days), but I'm curious to learn more about his thoughts on coconut oil for detox. Any way we could convince you to write a guest post about it???

Anonymous says:
6/12/2010

Re the lemons: they are very helpful but Amaryllis is right about the potential for eroding tooth enamel. I squeeze the juice of a whole lemon in to a glass of water, then use a straw to drink it so I bypass the teeth.

Amaryllis says:
6/12/2010

Thanks for your reply, Melissa. I have found out where there is a market near me and will try there this week for some farm-fresh eggs!

Thanks for the tip, Anon. Makes me thirsty… :)

Amaryllis, I always get so excited when checking out a potential new food source –must be some primal instincts coming to the surface! I hope you find some real treasures at the market. I'd love to hear about it if you get the chance. Exploring markets in different countries (even vicariously) is one of my all-time favorite things to do.

Anon says:
8/19/2011

I’ve read about lecithin on other sites.

Anonymous says:
8/19/2011

Hi Ladies. I wanted to share something that I think might be helping the fight against cellulite. It’s called Complex 15, you can hardly find it anymore but it’s a lotion that contains lecithin and it’s supposed to be great for dry skin. I bought it for my face, but I’m sensitive, so after reading about lecithin I thought why not try in on my thighs. I didn’t pay much attention in the morning but when I got home from work and looked in the mirror the cellulite definitely looked less severe. Not sure if it’s the lotion or not, as I am doing other things – like dry brushing, hot cold alternating water, ACV directly on thighs, MSM for detox, vitamin c, trying to avoid carbs, massage in the shower, exercise and eatiing less, using Weleda’s cellulite oil (which by the way contains fennel which is known to stimulate estrogen and estrogen causes weight gain so I stopped this oil last week), kelp supplements for iodine becuase I don’t eat table salt. These things i’ve been doing for while (some more than others) without seeing any results and it was only today after putting the Lotion on that I noticed any difference in the severity of the cellulite. I’ll use it again tonight without the ACV dry brush massage to see how the thighs look. It could be the lotion or it could be everything is starting to kick in but the difference over night was so noticeable i have to think the lotion was part of it. Just wish I hadn’t bought that $30 bottle of Weleda.

Thanks for the anonymous tip! Looks like an interesting product, but I hate when all the ingredients sound like chemicals. My skin is so sensitive, I would have to look up each one before trying to product. Did you notice any difference when you used the lotion without dry brushing and massage?

Anon says:
1/30/2014

I have followed this site and others for years on this subject. I have done it all creams, massages, endermologie, all forms of exercise wraps herbs supplements detox rebounding lasers. EVERYTHING. And nothing has every really made a dent. But the other day, I added liquid lecithin to my own formulated anti-cellulite cream and that evening for walked on the treadmilll at an incline of 15 without holding the handles. I felt the burn in the back of my thighs. Before my workout, I massage the area with a handheld cellulite massager. That evening I looked in the mirror and was amazed. My cellulite had actually reduced. What was it? The cream, the incline workout (coupled with massage). I am also still doing detox teas, taking loads of supplements and do heavy weighlifting – Maybe all of this helped but I actually saw a noticeable difference from one day to the next after the incline workout, and lecithin cream. My front thighs are not so bad. Anyway, I hope this is not a fluke. I will keep monitoring my progress and share what I believe it working or not working in this post.

anon says:
1/30/2014

sorry for the typos above – at work but wanted to share quickly before i forget!