Procellix Cellulite Toner from Dermal Meds: Does It Work?

Question from a fellow Cellulite Investigator:

Can you tell me if Procellix Cellulite Toner works as it claims?

**********

I’ve never used Procellix Cellulite Toner, nor do I know anyone who has, so I can’t tell you from personal experience whether or not it lives up to the claims.  What I can tell you is more about the active ingredients, how the product is supposed to work, and what the studies indicate so far.

Procellix is a topical cellulite cream.  One month’s supply costs about $80, so it’s at the higher end of the price range for cellulite products.  I would have to really be impressed with the research before investing this kind of money.  Let’s see if Procellix would tempt this cellulite investigator…

Frequently Asked Questions

The Procellix website gives our first major clue that the product might not be worth the high price tag.  Here are a few excerpts from their FAQ section.  Do you find the answers satisfying?

IS PROCELLIX SAFE TO USE?

Yes, it is a topical cream. If for any reason you have any type of adverse reaction, please discontinue and contact us.

ARE THE RESULTS PERMANENT?

The results basically last as long as you use the product. After you have followed the application process for 90 days, we suggest you only apply it once per day.

Perhaps what’s even more telling is the questions that aren’t listed as FAQ’s. There’s no information about clinical studies or how the product works.

The Ingredients

The ingredient list for Procellix is as follows:

• Aminophylline
  • Aloe Berdansis Gel
  • Glycerin
  • Propylene Glycol
  • Caffeine
  • Bladderwrack extract
  • Sage extract
  • Carbomer
  • Guarana Extract

The major active ingredient here is aminophylline, a drug more commonly used to treat asthma.  It’s the same ingredient used in several other anti-cellulite creams, including Cellulean.

Aminophylline is primarily used to relax the bronchial airways. According to the Cellulean website,  researchers at UCLA noticed aminophylline’s effect on fat by accident while conducting asthma studies fifteen years ago.

The Research

Research on aminophylline is inconclusive.  An article published in the medical journal Diabetes, Obesity, and Metabolism in 2007 analyzed the results of various studies on the drug’s effectiveness on fat reduction (you can read more about the article here). The authors concluded that there is limited evidence that aminophylline can help redistribute fat AND there’s a chance aminophylline could produce negative side effects.

This article in the International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders reveals that topical use of aminophylline cream affects the R-R interval of the user’s heart rate for four hours after application.  I don’t know much about measuring heart rate variability or R-R intervals, but knowing that Procellix contains a drug that effects heart rate crosses the threshold of trust I hold for cellulite cream manufacturers.

Sorry, my fellow cellulite sleuths. But this is another anti-cellulite product I simply cannot recommend. Let’s keep looking…

Les Demoiselles d'Avignon by Pablo PicassoJoin the Cause

Start healing your cellulite right now by visiting our Cellulite Treatments page.  Please come back and let us know how it’s going along the way!

Or to make the most of your time and effort, why not first take a few minutes to get smart on cellulite theory by reading Cellulite 101?

*Signup to receive email when we announce a breakthrough in the case.

Comments

Debbie says:
5/18/2010

Off topic here, I meant to come over yesterday. On aol news page it mentioned lemon and water fighting cellulite??

Thanks for the tip-off, Debbie. I'll check it out!

5/18/2010

I just starting mixing my own "cellulite" cream using my regular lotion plus gotu kola extract and caffeine powder. Way cheaper than typical cellulite creams. Whether or not it works, well, I'll give it some time and see. I've heard gotu kola's good for scars, too, so maybe it will fade some of my old stretch marks? *crossing fingers* 😉

Christen says:
7/25/2012

This sounds great! Where did you get the caffeine powder??

How clever, Elizabeth! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Latebloomer says:
5/18/2010

Omg, wouldn't it be grand if your concoction really did it? I would kiss the ground you walk on. Interesting how caffeine is often implicated as a cause of cellulite when we drink it but hailed as a cure when we mix it in goo and rub it on our skin. Whooda thought?

LambAround says:
5/18/2010

$80?! It all seems so unfair!
I found this online and wondered if you'd read it: http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/04/30/fight-fix-and-minimize-cellulite/?ncid=webmaildl3
I'm not sure any of these "remedies" work, but at least after increasing my water intake and doing more cardio, I'll still have my $80 🙂

~Lamb

LambAround

Thanks for the tip-off, Lamb. I'll check it out!

Anonymous says:
5/19/2010

Hi,
I am one of the owners of Procellix Cellulite Cream. I wanted to take the time to respond to your write up on Procellix. I can understand your skepticism with so many different products on the market. We originally sold the product here in Canada on Vancouver Island we great success. We then decided to offer it over the internet and other print ads. The product works fantastic. If there is anyway we could get you to give us a more positive review, we would be grateful. We would also really appreciate any feedback you may have that may make our product more attractive to your loyal followers.

Sincerely,
Peter

Melissa says:
5/19/2010

Hi, Peter. Thanks for your comment. Here at the Cellulite Investigation, we welcome interaction with the anti-cellulite industry. I know many cellulite cream manufacturers are trying their best to offer products that will genuinely help women with this frustrating problem.

My main concern with Procellix is the ingredient, Aminophylline. I feel like your website did not adequately address the safety aspect of using a product designed for asthma as a topical treatment for cellulite. Just because a product is topical, doesn’t mean it’s safe since much of what is applied to the skin is absorbed into the bloodstream.

Some of the clinical studies I found on the topical use of Aminophylline raised questions for me about it’s long term use. If you have further information regarding Aminophylline (where it comes from, studies on it’s topical use, especially long term, etc) please let me know.

Thanks again for stopping by,
Melissa

Jewell says:
10/24/2010

I’m sensitive to caffeine, but want to apply with cream to skin. Do you think it will give me the same nervous feeling that I normally get from drinking it?

Jewell

Hmmm… that’s a good question, Jewell. Are you referring to straight coffee grounds or a cellulite cream that includes caffeine, like the one mentioned above? I’ve used coffee ground in a body wrap and did not feel jittery afterward (I’m also sensitive to caffeine). I think the cream would be even less potent, as far as the caffeine is concerned. The skin absorbs approximately 60 percent of most topical treatments, but I don’t think applying caffeine to the skin would cause the same reaction as if it was taken directly into the digestive system.

If you are considering Procellix, please research the active ingredient, aminophylline. I just came across this warning about aminophylline on the FDA website today:

Brenda says:
12/26/2010

I tried to purchase this product last week and they charged me an additional $150.00 PLUS the $4.99 shipping that I expected to pay. It caused my checking account to overdraft so I now owe my bank $58.33. The website warns of “pre-authorized” charges made to CREDIT CARDS if you continue use. I am a debit card user and was not aware this would mean that the $150.00 would actually be taken from my account. When I called, theyre company was rude and unhelpful until I threatened to contact the BBB. Then they apologized, agreed to post a warning for Debit users and return my money. Overall I would say this company does a slimy, terrible business.

That’s awful, Brenda. I’m glad you got your money back eventually. Thanks for the warning!

katie says:
1/5/2011

hi i lost a good amount of weight but now im left with skin that i cant tighten and cellulite.i am very self consious and i want so bad to fix this problem since its taking over my life. what cream or procedure would be best for me?

Congratulations on your weight loss, Katie. It is not uncommon for women to experience an increase in cellulite after losing weight. Some cellulite experts believe it’s not actually an increase, but the cellulite is just more visible. None of the creams we’ve tested here at The Cellulite Investigation have been effective at reducing cellulite. I can’t recommend any “procedures” either –liposuction is known to aggravate cellulite, too.

Cellulite is a sign of a sluggish lymphatic system. Fortunately, there are a lot of easy (even enjoyable!) treatments you can do to help fix this problem at its source. Simple acts such as dry skin brushing or adding coconut oil to your diet can go a long way to improving lymphatic health. I explain these treatments and more in the links in the left sidebar. You can choose to start your cellulite treatment in whichever room appeals most to you: the bedroom, the bathroom, the kitchen, or the gym. I hope you find these guides helpful!

Rae says:
1/21/2011

BEWARE: The advertised “free” trial will automatically charge your account for about 10 more bottles and send them to you without notice.

Thanks for the warning, Rae. You’re not the only one to experience some underhanded sales practices from this company. I’ve seen some of their websites and they are definitely on the slimy side, with fictional testimonials, etc. This product has so many red flags.

Anita Fowler says:
4/5/2011

As a former bodybuilding competitor, I can tell you what makes cellulite disappear. Nobody wants to hear this, but just by doing regular everyday things consistently, you will see an improvement in your body. Lots of water, walking everyday, or treadmill, stationary bike,,everyday. Then just cut out the junk. I know it seems hard, but take baby steps. Cut way back or eliminate sodas, sugary snacks, cakes etc. Introduce more fruit and fiber. Yoga and stretching just a few minutes a day will bring amazing results. The key: You must do it daily. Good luck.

Thanks for your comment, Anita. That is a logical assertion. Did you have a lot of cellulite before you started bodybuilding? A lot of people assume that exercise and “diet” will make cellulite disappear, even though they do not have proof that this is so. I am not saying that working out and improving your diet will not make you healthier or change your body, I am just curious why you believe this will make cellulite disappear.

I don’t drink sodas, eat sugary snacks or cakes and I haven’t eaten fast food in years. It is easy to think that women who have cellulite are not exercising enough or they don’t eat well enough. That one word, “enough,” can turn into a disclaimer of sorts. “My theory works, you’re just not doing it enough.” But I’ve heard from many women who run marathons, are conscientious about their diet and still have cellulite. Professional athletes who work out for hours a day still have cellulite. Even ballet dancers with taut, toned muscles still have cellulite.

I appreciate your input and I can understand why you would think that is true, but if you poke around a bit more here at The Cellulite Investigation, you will see that the case on cellulite is not as simple as it might seem.