CelluScience from GNC: Can You Really Treat Cellulite with a Pill?

08 Mar

Question from a fellow cellulite sleuth:

I recently heard of a supplement called Celluscience.  It is supposedly all natural and claims to remove cellulite.  It is sold by GNC.  Can you tell me if this supplement actually helps/cures cellulite as it claims?  Is it safe to consume? Thanks.

**********

A pill to treat cellulite sounds too good to be true.  Is it?

CelluScience is sold by Santica Research Labs in Boca Raton, Fl.  The company, founded in 2004, has been selling the product in Europe and just brought it to the U.S. market in February of this year.  It is available at select GNC stores or can be ordered online.

The Ingredients

The formula for CelluScience is an all-natural, proprietary blend of herbs and other nutrients.  Judging from the ingredient list, CelluScience seems to be a promising product.

Fish Oil, Borage Oil, Grape Seed Extract, Ginkgo Biloba extract, Gotu Kola extract, Yellow Sweet clover, Butchers Broom Extract, Olive extract, Bladderwrack Extract, Vitamin E, Orange Essentional Oil, Rosemary Oil, Vitamin B6, Lipoic Acid, Folic Acid, KI, Selenium, Gelantin, Glycerol, Soybean, Lecithin, and Glyceryl Monostearate.

CelluScience is packed with proven cellulite-busting ingredients. Fish oil is all the rage in health food stores these days. Borage oil is high in gamma-linolenic acid. The authors of Cellulite Solutions include a whole chapter on the herb gotu kola and its ability to improve blood flow. We’ve already talked about the lymph healing properties of essential oils like orange and rosemary.

The Price

Clients are instructed to take three pills a day on an empty stomach.  The severity of the cellulite determines the length of the regimen.  For stage two cellulite, women are advised to take three capsules a day for 90 days, followed by a ‘maintenance regimen’ of one capsule a day for 90 days.  They are then instructed to repeat the 90-day cycle with three pills a day. Of course, stages three and four cellulite require more intensive treatments.

[The CelluScience website provides a helpful guide for determining the stage of your cellulite.]

A three-month supply of CelluScience is billed in three payments of $69.33 each, for a total of $208. By my calculations, to treat stage 2 cellulite, it would cost over $475 for the first 9 months. They recommend the Beaute’ Intensive Regimen (3 pills/day for 90 days) be repeated twice a year with the maintenance program in between. This adds up to another $475 per year.

The Results

Does CelluScience eliminate or prevent cellulite?  The manufacturers are clear that the answer is no. CelluScience is claimed to reduce cellulite, not cure it completely.   Not surprisingly, the CelluScience website offers a collection of impressive written and video testimonials of women who are thrilled with the results they saw from taking the product.   But would you expect anything less?

CelluScience was tested by an editor at Marie Claire magazine. She confirms seeing fewer dimples in a matter of weeks, but also suffered severe cramping which she attributed to the supplement.

According to an article in French beauty magazine, Clin D’Oeil, five international studies (ordered by the manufacturer) were conducted on the product.  They concluded that the daily ingestion of these supplements significantly reduces cellulite by an average of 45 percent in 47 days. The French author goes on to point out that the reliability of these studies, as well as the long term effect of the product, are unknown.

The Verdict

I like that CelluScience is an all-natural product. I also like that it uses herbs and other ingredients with proven anti-cellulite properties.  But as much as I would love to be able to treat cellulite with a pill, I can’t recommend this product. Here’s why.

When a manufacturer lumps together a bunch of supplements in this way, you are taking the risk that every ingredient is right for you. Bladder wrack, for example, is high in iodine and therefore not suitable for women who are hyperthyroid.  Do you know the current state of your thyroid?  Most women don’t.  You would be better off introducing these ingredients one at a time so you could observe any effects, either positive or negative.  This way, you have more control over the quality of the ingredients, too.

[Have you heard about the safety concerns associated with most brands of fish oil?]

The manufacturer advises that you check with your doctor before starting on CelluScience, but most doctors don’t have an effective understanding of herbal and nutritional remedies.  A better option is to consult a licensed health care practitioner who is trained in the traditional use of herbs, such as an acupuncturist or a physician who specializes in Traditional Chinese Medicine.

CelluScience uses a ‘one size fits all’ approach to treating cellulite.  Yet as we are starting to discover here at CI, cellulite is more of an individual issue.  Each woman’s cellulite has its own distinct causes and, thereby, its own distinct cure.  If we don’t address the true causes, then we won’t find true healing. This is why a pill like CelluScience cannot eliminate cellulite or prevent it from recurring.

The Bottom Line

Save your money on CelluScience and use it to buy a quality cod liver oil, gotu kola tea, or a consultation with a licensed health care practitioner who is experienced in herbal remedies.

**********

Would you treat cellulite with a pill? Do you have intel on CelluScience to add to the file?  Please add your info in the comments below. Got a question about a cellulite treatment or product?  Why not hit up your trusty cellulite analyst for a FREE unbiased assessment.  Send your cellulite inquires to Analyst (at) CelluliteInvestigation (dot) com.

Comments

Anything Fits A Naked Man says:
3/8/2010

Sigh! I figured it was too good to be true!! Darn!!

Charlene says:
3/8/2010

Even if it worked, it would have to be in a "gummy" variety of pill for me to take it. Oh well… Thanks for the review!

A 2 Z says:
3/8/2010

Wow,

Visiting from SITS! When I saw the word Cellulite I had to come over for a visit. When I was younger, many moons ago, I was a ballet dancer and cellulite was considered worse than the plague. I tried everything to get rid of it. I even went to Cellulite Clinics, here in Montreal. I used to get injections in my thighs. I was so young and naive that I never asked what was inside those injections. They, of course, never worked.

I have given up on getting rid of cellulite now. I'm now focusing on Alzheimer….

Best regards,

Anne-Marie

3/8/2010

Thanks, Melissa, for your honest review. Most of these "magic" pills–even the natural ones–are just quick combinations of cheap herbs that can be bought elsewhere for a fraction of the cost. And usually the potency of the "magic" pill is far too low to see any benefits anyway. I agree that herbs that improve circulation (like gotu kola and butcher's broom) may benefit cellulite on some level, but they are very cheap to buy on their own (like $5-10/mo) and at a reasonable potency. But like you said, it's important to know how these herbs will affect your body before taking them.

Thanks for the feedback, Elizabeth. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my critique of supplements like this one. Not long ago, I did an interview with a well-known anti-aging expert who has his own line of supplements. I was shocked at how little research is done on the products before they are marketed. The company didn't even have access to full articles in medical journals and were relying on online abstracts through Pubmed to do the bulk of their research. Definitely makes me think twice about taking supplements, even if they are billed as "all natural."

A2Z –I've heard tale that ballet dancers still get cellulite on occasion, but I've been unable to confirm that fact. That should make us all feel a little less guilty, I hope. You must have gone for mesotherapy treatments where they inject various cocktails of nutrients into the fat cells. I'm actually glad to hear it didn't work. Another good excuse to avoid treatments that involve needles. Thanks so much for sharing!

Charlene, how old are you?! ;0

karen@fitnessjourney says:
3/9/2010

Thanks for saving us lots of $$$$. I'm always leery of cures in the form of a pill. I really appreciate how you always find different takes on finding a treatment for cellulite.

Thanks, Karen! We are so used to 'treating' ailments with pills, it's good that you have the opposite approach.

jack says:
3/17/2010

I wasn't sure how this article was going to end, but I really liked your objective analysis, and recommendations. No pill can alter our bodies to become 'well,' it must be a holistic, lifestyle change.
See you on twitter!

Wise words indeed, Jack. I'm not totally against pills. I take a few supplements in pill form on occasion. But our society has a distinct over-reliance on using pills to treat symptoms. Sometimes the right supplement can help the body along, but as we are finding out here at the Cellulite Investigation, long-term healing is more about the food than the pills. Thanks for stopping by!

herama says:
6/3/2010

Found the following article and thought it was for same pill. It's not, but has many of the same ingredients, with some explanation for each. While I'm not a big fan of Western allopathic medicine, I do think it can be helpful:

Ooooh, this is a good article. I'm going to dig through it more tonight. I agree that pills can be helpful. As long as you research the ingredients and know they're okay for you as an individual. The mass-marketing, one-size-fits-all approach can be dangerous.

Anonymous says:
7/11/2010

check out http://www.fityourstylewrap.com

herbal body wrap for cellulite. I have had really good results on it!
have to use them on a regular basis..good luck!

Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.

Sheila says:
9/10/2010

WHATSUP WITH ALL THE GLOOM AND DOOM? THE HOME SHOPPING NETWORK LADIES ARE USING THIS PRODUCT AND GETTING GIRREAT RESULTS. THESE WOMEN BASE THEIR LIFE WORK ON RFELATIONSHIPS WITH US TV WATCHERS. HONESTLY, WE NEED TO GIVE IT A TRY AND NOT LOOK AT THIS ARTICLE AS SCARY. LOOK AT WHAT WE EAT IN THE RESTAURANTS WE GO TO. LOOK AT THE FOOD WE IMPORT AND EAT AT WILL. YOU’RE WORRIED ABOUT IT BEING THE RIGHT MIX OF HERBS.

Melissa says:
9/11/2010

You’re absolutely right about the food issue, Sheila. Since launching the Cellulite Investigation, we’ve found that nutrition is the most important factor in cellulite recovery. Women from non-industrialized societies who eat their traditional diet do not develop cellulite (see Dr. Lionel Bissoon’s book, The Cellulite Cure, for the amazing evidence! Or you can read his comments in this post here at CI).

I get the feeling you might know some of these QVC models directly. ;) Any chance you could get us the inside scoop? Are they really using the product and seeing amazing results? Hope to hear from you again soon. Thanks for your comment!

Theresa says:
10/4/2010

The ladies that are using this product work on ShopNBC Shopping Channel…they are the actual show hosts, not the models. QVC does not sell this item. ShopNBC has this product as their TSV today for like $62. I have been using the product for almost 60 days and have noticed a difference in the cellulite on my legs………especially the back side. They say to at least give this product 90 days, so I am willing to do that. I agree with Melissa…..there is soooo much NASTY/DANGEROUS stuff in our food these days……can’t see how herbs from these pills are going to be any more dangerous than the food our grocery/resturants are feeding us. Good luck ladies……….I say give it a try!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for adding your experience to our case files, Theresa. It’s certainly inspiring me to take a closer look at some of the ingredients in CelluScience. A large part of our investigation has focused on how to treat and prevent cellulite through nutrition. You won’t believe some of the information we’ve uncovered about fat, digestive health, and that elusive anti-cellulite diet. Our goal isn’t to just “improve the appearance” of cellulite. We want to banish the blight completely. Thanks for joining along in our investigation!

Dedra says:
12/29/2010

I like Theresa I discovered this product on ShopNBC..and decided to try it.. To my amazement I also have seen a difference in my legs and back side. I just had back surgery and have not been able to be active so I was not sure how it or rather if it would work. Well I am here to say after 3 months I have lost aprox 1.5 inches in my legs & back side… I have been asked how much weight have I lose and I can truly say very little. I now will be able to do some walking so it will be instering to see how much more toning will take place….Thank you & I like Theresa GIVE IT A TRY!!!!

Brenda says:
2/24/2011

Personally I think that if women would go the extra mile and just change their eating habits, and exercise on a regular basis, they would not have the problems of cellulite and all the other stuff that we see out there on TV. You can take control of your health and live a better healthier life. All you have to do is eat the right foods and follow the food groups, and also do plenty of exercise. Sure taking a pill is the easy way out, but if you go the old fashioned way, you will feel better for yourself, and you will have a better sense of pride in yourself. Ultimately get off your computer, go outside and walk and enjoy the weather! If you are handicapped I am sure you can talk to your doctors about exercises that you can do that are safe. If you have a strong enough will, then anything is possible!

Thanks for your comment, Brenda. I agree with you in part. I do think you can take control of your cellulite by eating “the right foods” and living a healthy lifestyle. But if I’ve learned anything from The Cellulite Investigation so far, it’s that treating cellulite isn’t as simple as your comment makes it out to be. Some women eat healthy and exercise eight hours a day (professional athletes and such) and still have cellulite. I’ve heard from ballerinas with cellulite, marathon runners with cellulite, skinny health-conscious teenagers with cellulite… Clearly there is something else going on here.

We need to get away from the idea that losing cellulite (or losing weight in general) is an issue of willpower. It’s an issue of knowledge. We need to develop a more sophisticated understanding of what causes cellulite before we can treat it effectively. Please see this article from our Primer on Cellulite for a more in depth explanation of what causes cellulite.

adrieanne says:
1/30/2012

I just wanted to comment on this posting. I too am searching for a resolution to cellulite. I am a United States Marines and my job requires alot of physical activities. I am quite skinny and I wear a size 2. I don’t have the best eating habits due to time constraints and how expensive healther foods are. however I run everyday and workout for hours. Unfortunately I am unable to get rid of the excessive baggage cellulite lands on my thighs and back side and it has caused me to not be able to wear swimsuits or shorts. Feels like I’m sheltered on my bottom half.

Good to hear from you, adrieanne! A lot of us are in the same boat. I’ve always been a size 2 or below and cellulite has been a nagging concern for me since my teen years. Exercise can help, but it can’t cure cellulite. Did you know even Jillian Michael’s admits she can’t get rid of her cellulite?!

Based on the info we’ve uncovered so far, the most plausible theory is that cellulite is caused by toxins trapped underneath the skin (aka, “lymphatic congestion”). This could be caused by certain villains in the diet, such as sugar or trans fats, or it could be an undiagnosed food allergy (gluten?) or another toxin altogether (fluoride?). Fortunately there is a lot you can do to start healing cellulite, in addition to exercise. Check out the “Treatments” section to learn more. You can always reach me in our new discussion forum if you have any questions. Good luck!

Dbaby says:
5/9/2011

I agree with both sides of this issue. No, it is not a good idea to lump everything into a one-size-fits-all pill because honestly ladies, we know darn well we are not all one size! BUT, these ingredients are not man-made chemicals; they are natural so I am more comfortable trying this than poking needles full of botox in my skin or sticking a lipo mini-vaccuum all over the inside of my body to suck the fat out. We all basically have to make our own decision on this product.

I have to lose about 50 pounds and I’m NOT looking at this as a cure-all. I’m currently changing my eating habits and at my age, my motabolism is as slow as a turtle so hey, I can use a little jump in my blood flow if it at least does that. I think I’ll try this to help get a bit of an edge on my lifestyle change. I’m not finding any articles on how this actually “hurt” anyone either. So I’ll give it a go before I bash it.

You have a very logical and common-sense approach, dbaby. You’re right, it is definitely better than botox or lipo. It would be nice if our society was full of health care professionals who could help us tailor these ingredients to our individual needs, but admiteddly it is a lot easier right now to buy Celluscience instead if you have the money. Can’t blame a girl for trying! Please let us know what you think of it when you get a chance to try it. We’d love to hear your opinion!

Rosy says:
6/24/2011

I bought this product from NBC about a month ago.I’m 28 years old and have suffered from cellulite since I hit puberty practically.I must admit I have already seen a difference on my legs when I look at them and even when I touch them. I’m excited to see mre results after about 2 months, or at least “47 days” which is the time they laim you should see results, although I think thats what they say to get you to buy another month supply. I’m not crazy about the price but if it continues to work, I’ll happily spend my money. My only concern is continuing to use it in order to maintain the results. I’m afraid after 30 days if I stop using it I’ll be worse.I’ll let ya’ll know!

Rosy says:
6/24/2011

Sorry guys I made a few typo errors. I meant after 90 days!!

Thanks for the info, Rosy! Please do let us know how it goes. I do think this product could be helpful for some women, but I share your concern that it’s not a long term solution. If we try to take a mass-marketed pill to solve our problems, we miss an opportunity to learn about our bodies. What caused the cellulite to begin with? If we don’t answer that question, we will need a lot of luck to get rid of cellulite permanently.

That’s not to say I’m not really happy you are seeing improvements!!!!!!!

Mary says:
9/8/2011

I have been using this for 2 months and absolutely love it! It didn’t get rid of every single bit, but most which is what was important to me….It began to help before I started working out…. anyway, I like it and would recommend using it at least for the first 45 days…

Thanks for the feedback, Mary! Your comment does make me want to give Celluscience another look. Please keep us updated on your progress!