Where Does Fluoride Come From?

05 Feb

The first time I told someone where fluoride comes from, he thought I had fallen prey to online conspiracy theorists.

When dentists talk about the benefits of public water fluoridation, they describe fluoride as a “naturally occurring element, found as a constituent of minerals in rocks and soil.” Doesn’t that sound so healthy and… mineral-y?

Sadly, this is not the same fluoride that is added to most of the public water supply throughout the United States.  You’re probably not going to believe me when I tell you this, but that fluoride is an industrial byproduct of the aluminum and fertilizer industries.

Calcium fluoride. Sodium fluoride. Hydrofluosilicic Acid. It’s all the same. This is the logic fluoridation proponents use to justify purchasing fluoride in its industrial form. Does this logic make sense to you?

For those of you who don’t believe me, I offer further evidence. The image below is cut and pasted directly from the water quality report for the neighboring town of Jupiter, Florida. You can download it for yourself at http://www.jupiter.fl.us/water/.

The water quality report from my parents’ town said the same thing. These companies used to release fluoride out the smokestack along with the rest of the pollution. Now they sell it to taxpayers for a pretty penny. Not a bad deal.

It gets worse. Did you know that an increasing number of water treatment plants buy their fluoride from China? U.S. manufacturers are not able to compete with the low prices of Chinese firms entering the fluoride market.

One town in Massachusetts recently discontinued water fluoridation because the powder supplement they purchased from a Chinese industry was damaging their equipment. (Click here to read the article in the local newspaper.) The American Water Works Association is receiving similar complaints from treatment plants across the country.1

Do you know if your water is fluoridated? If so, where does YOUR fluoride come from?

*This post is part of Fight Back Friday hosted at FoodRenegade.

Comments

Charlene says:
2/5/2010

This makes me glad I have well water! :-)

Charlene
The Balance Beam

Yes, Charlene, that is something to be grateful for! You still have to ensure your well water is safe, but at least you have more control over any added chemicals.

Mommies Time Out Today says:
2/5/2010

Hi there! Here is the link to the post on cellulite I did. It doesn't say too much about Dr. Oz except that he says there is no cure. It's more about my terrible bathing suit shpooing experience. lol

Thanks, MTOT! I was looking for that one. Your shopping experience is eerily familiar… :)

Holly Rutchik says:
2/5/2010

Oh my!This just scared me – which is good – THANKS!
Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am a new follower here from FF.
Also, thanks for those blogs – I'm off to check them out now!

I usually hate to scare people, but this stuff is so darn scary it's hard to write about it otherwise. Fortunately, it's the kind of thing where once you know about it, you can take steps to mitigate the problem (water filters, writing to the people in charge, etc). I hope you enjoy those two blogs. They are some of my favorites!

2/5/2010

Fluoride from China? That sounds so healthy (yeah, right). We drink filtered water, but I don't think our filter takes care of fluoride. I think only the reverse osmosis systems do that? Is that right, Melissa?

yonca says:
2/5/2010

Following from Friday Follow. Thanks for the link. be I'd like to read that article about Chinese industry.I'll be checking it out. Have a great weekend!

Reverse osmosis is the best for fluoride — it filters out 95 percent of it. Other filters get rid of some of the fluoride, just not as much. You can always check with your local water company to see if they add fluoride and where it comes from.

Corrie Howe says:
2/5/2010

This is very interesting. We also have well water and it has enough natural fluoride that the kids don't need supplements from the dentist.

That's great, Corrie. There is a lot of controversy over whether or not fluoride helps prevent cavities at all. Personally, I don't think it does. Did you know a lot of pre-industrial societies did not care for their teeth at all (through brushing, etc) and yet they didn't get cavities? There is a whole different school of thought that asserts cavities are caused by a lack of nutrition. It's a very convincing argument. Rami Nigel talks about it in his book, Cure Tooth Decay. He cures cavities with cod liver oil and high-vitamin butter. Crazy, no?!

Amy Ellen says:
2/5/2010

Hi… I found you on the Friday Follow list, but I had seen you on Elizabeth Ours blog too. Looks like some good stuff to read here… Glad to get to know you!

Niki @ Ambitious Gurl says:
2/5/2010

Stopping by for Friday Follow and glad you stopped by my blog and no I don't think your quest is too ambitious but busy goal. LOL

lovemylevi says:
2/5/2010

Following from the FF linkup. Hope to see you at http://luvsjurn3.blogspot.com soon!

Cakeblast says:
2/6/2010

I'm following..here from Friday Follow – I have looked into fluoride consumption before and we gave nonfluoridated water to our children when they were babies. Now I really want to find out where our town gets its fluoride! Thanks for the info and links.

sheila says:
2/7/2010

Oh. My goodness that's gross. I knew that toothpaste / flouride was not healthy…but this actually enlightened me as to why. And the added flouride to water. That is troubling.

Just loved this post… coming from SITS. Random, but are you going to Bloggy Boot Camp in Baltimore?

Arctic says:
6/13/2011

Thank you for adding this here.
I agree that the fluoride in the water is not safe.

I would like to see, and it is very important to place all of the facts,
studies and information on one easy to read page for everyone to see.
I saw a quick video a long time ago where a scientist was explaining this
and noted heredity & money vs. places. (Your family has a history of bad teeth,
or being poor or rich vs. “Our country has better teeth than that country!”)
He asked people, “Who here has a history of bad teeth (problems/cavities) in their family?” Then from those people he asked, “And even though you have grown up drinking the fluoride contaminated water you still had teeth problems and at least many cavities.” They all replied in a noticing way, “Oh yeah.”

Thanks for the videos, Arctic. I don’t think we’ll ever have all the facts about fluoride on one page, but it’s a start!

david says:
10/27/2012

Fluoride in drinking water was originally added in the 1940′s to prevent tooth decay. Studies have now shown that fluoride causes dental fluorosis in 10% of the population. Even more disturbing than the cosmetic impact that fluoride can have on teeth, research is also linking fluoride to increased risk of cancer (particularly bone cancer) gene mutations reproductive problems neurotoxicity (hyper or depressed activity) bone fluorosis (decreasing density). In fact, in 1999, the EPA’s Headquarters Union of Scientists took a stand opposing fluoridation of drinking water supplies. Read more here. The fluoride used for water fluoridation does not have FDA approval and is considered by the FDA as an “unapproved drug”. The proper use of any drug requires an understanding of how much is too much. Since fluoride is already in many foods and beverages, an estimated total intake of existing fluoride amounts is imperative. Research shows fluoridation is unnecessary since we’re already receiving 300% or more of the American Dental Association’s recommended daily amount.

Mike says:
11/4/2012

I would also like to ad Fluoride has never been FDA approved. My friend and I talked to the head dentist of NYs and also called the FDA. We’re trying to get fluoride out of the water of our county to start

27Reasons says:
11/14/2012

Ever put regular tap water into a vaporizer…? All that white gunk that builds up…. damnn…

lynn j. says:
1/31/2013

Fluoride blocks the hormone production in the thyroid gland in the neck. It was once reported that thyroid medicine was the #1 prescribed pharmaceutical drug in the U.S.
This news is over 20 years old. One doesn’t have to dig to hard to know this.

Good point, Lynn!

paul mcgrath says:
1/11/2014

keep passing the word on,most people still dont know enything and believe everything they are told .keep up the good work